What's new

What should I be looking for in a main?

Just wondering how the real good people go about choosing their mains. Is it literally just play who you like best or do you look for certain character qualities? (strong zoning, good damame output, etc?)

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
It has to fit your playstyle or come close enough you can adapt. Not everyone is good as zoning because it requieres patience and careful calculations done on the fly, whereas, rushdown is all about how many ways and how fast you can come with them to keep your opponent guessing. Another factor to consider is spacing and range: how comfortable you are baiting responses and what ranges, some players are exceptionally good at this with characters that have short range pokes, others need longer reaching pokes to play. So on and so forth.

It has to fit your playstyle or come close enough you can adapt. Not everyone is good as zoning because it requieres patience and careful calculations done on the fly, whereas, rushdown is all about how many ways and how fast you can come with them to keep your opponent guessing. Another factor to consider is spacing and range: how comfortable you are baiting responses and what ranges, some players are exceptionally good at this with characters that have short range pokes, others need longer reaching pokes to play. So on and so forth.
Nice, this and the link to the other thread was very helpful. As for the tier whore thing, I mean I don't wanna instantly hunt top tiers or anything like that, but I don't wanna pick a character and found out he's trash down the road. Like I picked Cyborg in Injustice and had fun, but after a while you realize that you can put in a lot less work and do just as well with other characters.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Nice, this and the link to the other thread was very helpful. As for the tier whore thing, I mean I don't wanna instantly hunt top tiers or anything like that, but I don't wanna pick a character and found out he's trash down the road. Like I picked Cyborg in Injustice and had fun, but after a while you realize that you can put in a lot less work and do just as well with other characters.
In NRS game we ultimately have to mind the possibility our character of choice will get worse within months of the game's release, and it can be due to several factors: the meta has evolved past his gimmicks, it was nerfed, and/or other characters were buffed.

Megaton_Rich

Ok-ish at pressing buttons
just choose who you feel most comfortable using, high or low tier as long as you enjoy using your main that's what you should base your decision of off.