What's new

What separates the good Raidens from bad Raidens?

SRKPooch

Noob
I've been playing MK for a few days now as Sub-Zero, and although it's been interesting, I feel like I'm just getting a bit bored with him. I really want to try out Raiden (he was my initial choice before I bought the game), but after seeing dozens of them online and seeing the hate he gets, it made me not want to play him, however now I want to atleast give him a try.

So I was wondering, if I was to play as Raiden, how can I distinguish myself and play properly so that I don't get labelled as a typical "noob/scrub" Raiden? What are the differences between the players who are good with him and those that aren't? Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any input guys!

Raiden online is abusable. He has easy lazy lag tactics (teleport is impossible to properly react to because of the slightest amount of lag). His superman, although already impossible to react to offline, is even harder to punish online when you block it. His jail strings are -1 on block but online they might seem like +3.

Considering all that, the hate for online Raidens is understandable. I would say he is indeed cheap online, but offline he's okay.

That being said a lot of characters can get away with dirt online. So it's not just Raiden.

Lag friendly characters are S tier online, but offline it's a whole different meta-game. (Raiden's still S offline of course)

In the end, just play like you want. It doesn't really matter. As long as you have fun and like playing with that character and playstyle. :)

I'm pretty much a scrub (190-200ish online) but I just won a raiden mirror match against a 1000-100ish guy so I feel I can give some input :)

I think #1 with raiden is don't make supermans predictable. Yes they are hard to punish, but they are punishable, esp close ones. Second I tele/sweep a bunch, and as soon as you get them ducking tele/f4. Yea f4 is slow, but this is online heh. A huge one is, I hate to say it, 334ing the shit out of people in the corner. I do 334 334 shock 334, it pounds them into the ground, so I just immediately start it up again :p

Oh and cancel out of b312 with teleport if you don't hit.

Feel free to tell me I'm way off, that's how I've been doing ok with him tho.

DOWNLOADED

The Cowardly Lion
I would have to say don't abuse the teleport or the superman because those are so hard to react. You should only superman after a B+3,1,2 I think to make them respect superman but I wouldn't recommend using the 3,3,4 too much since that can be interrupted with fast pokes, fast specials or fast uppercuts.