What's new

What other fighting games do people play?

NHDR

Noob
My job keeps me very busy unfortunately, but when I do have some gaming time, I play:

MK11 - towers, grinding
Injustice 2 - I let the AI grind gear
Street Fighter X Tekken - labbing random teams and online
USF4 - labbing and online
Neo Geo Battle Colliseum - same
Tekken 7 - same
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - same
Soul Calibur 6 - same
Killer Instinct - same
SFV - same

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
@Gooberking thank you so much for the break downs man. No TLDR needed. Sounds like SC6 might be my game but if the playerbase is in a weird spot it might hurt my drive to really get hooked on it. I'm surprised from your and other peoples comments but it kinda sounds like 3d fighters are king at the moment, especially tekkon. I've only ever heard praise for DOA gameplay but I don't even know what the latest version is, but it sounds cool. I would not be opposed to trying Tekkon but as an NRS MK11 player I kinda feel like a big goldfish in a pond wanting to jump into the ocean with giant sharks lol. And I do like the aspect of learning fighters and labing stuff and then having it work in a match (one of the most beautiful aspects of fighting games imo) but some games just seem sooo daunting to get to even that level.

I'm interested on your thoughts about SF5 and Marvel vs capcon, if you have them. I know marvel vs capcon had a disastrous release, but it kinda sounds like they rebounded...??? And no worries at all if you don't play these games or aren't familiar with them.
I really don't know them. I have all the SFV stuff, and it looks a lot more interesting now than it did when I tried it. The roster is so huge and all those v-triggers make it look like you'd really have to want to get into it. Crazy to think it launched with nothing in it. All I know is what I've heard about it. Base play is good, online isn't great and had drama around it. Latest version actually sounds like it screwed over the PS4 users and works better online for PC people. So many people play it that it should be easy to get an informed opinion on it. There is a thread on site even.

Know zip about MvC games. I strongly dislike tag games and just never pay any attention to them.

DOA5 and 6 are technically F2P, but there really isn't any reason to look into them unless you are content to play CPU, or are trying to break into whatever small group of diehards exist.

If SC6 does tempt you, it can usually be picked up affordably on a sale, and there is usually someone worth watching streaming it on Twitch. There has been this Budlight series running online tournaments for it recently. Don't know how long the thing will continue, but it's probably the most recent competitive showcase for the game and I assume VOD's exist. There are a couple other online tournaments that happen, but I'm not sure off hand how to point them out. Some of it is EU stuff on a Sunday, and maybe Kayane ran one recently.

SC6 lab is great if you like that stuff. It does lack frame data like most games have now, but there is an app out there that will do realtime framedata which is super useful. Pretty hard to find now, and I had to search really hard to find the latest version (it has to have adjustments every patch), but it's super useful for a PC player. PC is the competitive version.

I used to play SamSho 5 Special competitively, so I still play that the most other than MK. Imo this game is the GOAT and I still get something out of playing and learn new things even playing by myself.

I don't play Samsho 2019 as much because it's not quite as complex as 5 Special and IV, but it's still a great game and the netcode is actually really good if you have a fiber connection. I can count on one hand the number of bad connections I've played against (they're all US connections) and can connect to Japan and South America and have solid games.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
SFV: Champion Edition
DBFZ
Power Rangers: BFTG
BB: Tag
Blade Strangers
Skullgirls
Fighting EX Layer
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Samurai Shodown
Capcom VS SNK 2
King of Fighters 13
King of Fighters 14

Obscure games
Fuun Saiki (Dark legend 2 Sega Saturn)
Fighters History Dynamite

I used to play Tekken 7, SC6, SFV, DBFZ and GG Xrd, but I quit all of them due to how abysmal the netcode is.
Got Killer Instinct on Steam recently, and while I like the game I mainly dabble in training mode and play a couple of matches every other week.

I play a lot of fighting games, but the ones I’m mainly playing these days (outside of MK11) are:
  • MVC2
  • MVCI
  • ST (Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo)
  • 3S (Street Fighter 3: Third Strike)
I’m not a huge fan of 3D fighters, and have a lot of anime games, but I have a hard time gelling with the characters/aesthetics. I’m going to buy BlazBlue Cross Tag soon though. Also, I played a lot of SFV until they put out that netcode patch, which somehow made it so much worse for me that I don’t bother.

Hot_DNA

Noob
I play a lot of fighting games, but the ones I’m mainly playing these days (outside of MK11) are:
  • MVC2
  • MVCI
  • ST (Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo)
  • 3S (Street Fighter 3: Third Strike)
I’m not a huge fan of 3D fighters, and have a lot of anime games, but I have a hard time gelling with the characters/aesthetics. I’m going to buy BlazBlue Cross Tag soon though. Also, I played a lot of SFV until they put out that netcode patch, which somehow made it so much worse for me that I don’t bother.
Who do u play in MVCI?

Who do u play in MVCI?
I’ve bounced around a lot, but lately have been using Gamora and Venom.

I usually use Soul Stone but they don’t seem to have the best synergy during the storm, so I need to lab that more, or pick another stone.

Hot_DNA

Noob
I’ve bounced around a lot, but lately have been using Gamora and Venom.

I usually use Soul Stone but they don’t seem to have the best synergy during the storm, so I need to lab that more, or pick another stone.
I main Morrigan/ Coon power/Time stone but I play any variation of Captain Marvel/Coon/Morrigan

I main Morrigan/ Coon power/Time stone but I play any variation of Captain Marvel/Coon/Morrigan
Nice! Its good to have variety. I ahould probably lab more teams (I like most people in the game actually), but I have the most fun with these two.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I honestly have a hard time getting into fighting games outside of NRS because I'm not a huge anime fan and A LOT of games seem to draw inspiration from anime aesthetic / design.

What kind of games would you recommend for someone like me? (I would've definitely checked out KI but am on PS4).

What kind of games would you recommend for someone like me? (I would've definitely checked out KI but am on PS4).
Sadly, Killer Instinct is the one I'd recommend. I'm not an anime guy either. At all. And I agree many fighting games, especially Japanese ones, draw elements from anime and turn me right off.

Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct both are of a different flavour, and are the big western fighting franchises. Do you have a PC, as Killer Instinct is on that as well, and many in our biweekly casuals are actually playing that version?

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Sadly, Killer Instinct is the one I'd recommend. I'm not an anime guy either. At all. And I agree many fighting games, especially Japanese ones, draw elements from anime and turn me right off.

Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct both are of a different flavour, and are the big western fighting franchises. Do you have a PC, as Killer Instinct is on that as well, and many in our biweekly casuals are actually playing that version?
I'd absolutely get in on that but sadly I only have a 5 year old laptop that struggles running much of anything. I've considered getting a new solid PC/Laptop but, with the next-gen consoles coming out soon, I'd rather put money there.

I'd absolutely get in on that but sadly I only have a 5 year old laptop that struggles running much of anything. I've considered getting a new solid PC/Laptop but, with the next-gen consoles coming out soon, I'd rather put money there.
The PC system requirements for the game aren't high. What's your specs? You might be able to play it after all.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Shame, you're processor is too low. You need an i5 for the game.
Bummer. The sad thing is, I've purchased Tekken 7, Samsho, SCVI and.. I just can't get into them.

I tend to gravitate towards For Honor or Smite right now for that competitive fix after finishing Ghost of Tshushima and Last of Us 2.

It's been over a year and I played MK11 pretty much every other day, I'm burnt out for now but do love fighting games.
IJ2 only has a small community left so I find myself bring and adopting my MK play style to Tekken... after a few trail and errors I got the hang of it. What do other people play when their burnt

i play mortal combat ever since i was a young kid! fighting games really are the best stress relievers

i play mortal combat ever since i was a young kid! fighting games really are the best stress relievers
I don’t quite agree. It depends on the game and what you play.

I remember one time I’m got home from work early on a beautiful Friday afternoon, and was happy as can be. I then booted up SFV, and played Ranked.

When my wife came home a few hours later, she asked what happened at work because I looked pissed and miserable, lol.

Online MK11 can frustrate me at times as well, but it doesn’t seem as bad as SFV (I suspect the better netcode has a lot to do with that actually).

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Nothing else. Tried getting into Samsho, maybe I'll try it again someday. Tekken 7 I have to play on a stick so switching from stick to controller when I play MK11 feels weird. I tried DBZ again but I don't get that game lmao. SFV, forget it. I played 4 a lot but getting used to combos and switching from the quick dial ins to MK's slower combos is just a damn hassle imo. IDK. For me it's either MK or Injustice and I feel like it'll stay that way.

Tekken 7 I have to play on a stick so switching from stick to controller when I play MK11 feels weird.
This is why I got a Hitbox style controller. I knew it would work for NRS games, as well as SF, Tekken, MVC, etc, and I love it.

Of course, it doesn’t have the right stick, so you can’t do a few single player things in MK11 with it, but it’s great for online.

It wasn’t cheap though.