What's new

What other fighting games do people play?

Icefyre

Shadows
Ever since I unfortunately decided that Mk11 isn’t for me, I’ve been playing Them Fightin’ Herds. Last couple weeks I’ve spent some time with Under Night, an anime fighter a friend got me. I’ve been enjoying both quite a bit. I haven’t played dbfz in quite a while, I tend to prefer the 1v1 2d style, though I did enjoy it a lot when I played it.

Gaxkang

Banned
I used to play a lot of SF5 but stopped eventually, maybe someday i'll play it again more. I played Tekken 7 for a while but got to the point where to go further would have taken a lot, a lot of study and i'd played enough really (plus, SC6 was coming).
Injustice 2 was something I played a lot of too. I've played smatterings of KI but was a bit better at it in the past than i am now.

I tried Fighter Z out but thought the gameplay was bad. I also didn't really like Guilty Gear from trying it out.

I still like to play Dead or Alive 6 and Soul Calibur 6 these days.

Samurai Showdown is a game the people that play it love it, but the online is considered unusually bad, and the player base from the start pretty much went straight to discord matchmaking.

The netcode is actually so bad that the people playing it are now using some remote tech where they run the game on a server or something and then stream the inputs and video feed instead of counting on the actual built in netcode.

MVCI is very well liked by some, but got off to such a bad start and substandard visuals that it never made it off the launch pad.

Out of curiosity, what specifically are you comfortable with and enjoying about the games you do like to play?
Thank you man for the insight. Saved me some research, I appreciate it.

As far as what do i enjoy about the games I play I'll keep it to fighters to keep it simpler. I like things to look cool visually, and by that I guess I mean it can't be too cartoonish. Like I adore the look of MK11, and sf has always looked cool, but some of the more weird anime esq games like Skull girls or cartoony Smash Bros don't appeal to me (not trying to knock them I would totally try them). I like the neutral of MK11 and the flashy, learnable/alterable combos of Injustice. I like NRS fighters cuz they're approachable, easy to learn but hard to master. I'm not a big fan of variations and I like the freedom to express my own personality/style with the characters I play. Playing Lex in INj1 was heaven. I'm not opposed to 3d fighters but they are intimidating since I haven't played that style since MKA. And like I said earlier, the online playerbase has to somewhat be there numbers wise. And the better the netcode the better too. Sorry if this is insanely specific, I make exceptions all the time.

Also this is the edible kicking in, but I feel like you're a doctor, prescribing me a fighter to get into lol. no pressure tho

I tried to get into other games in the past but have had difficulty getting into them as I've only ever played NRS games. Killer Instinct looked awesome but the ever changing guitar hero esq combos threw me off, I'm too use to my dial-a-combo crutch I guess. I was hype for Dragon Ball Fighterz and got pretty into it for awhile but the match making was painfully slow as was the lag. But sitting there waiting up to 8 minutes to find an opponent every match got tiresome fast. Thats why I stopped playing Injustice 2 as well, as much as I love Injustice if the playerbase is so small i have to schedule specific times to play with friends than I'm not gonna bother relearning the game. Its a bummer but thats kinda my general rule with multiplayer games.

I really wanna try other fighters but they can be hard to get into coming from a strictly NRS/midway background. SF5 looks cool but seems like a mountain to climb in terms of learning. I might look into Marvel vs Capcon Infinite or the Samurai Showdown game, if the player base is there. I also worry that goin to games like marvel v capcon from MK11 will be like going from beer to crystal meth lol
it is true, fighting games can be some of the hardest games to learn... but once you start getting a character down its so much fun

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
SC6 has been my go-to game since it came out, I dabble in others but always come back to it, It's the best figher out rn imo, plus making your own outfits is so sick.
Used to play Tekken/DoA6/DBFZ/Granblue but lost interest.
I'll play Skullgirls and KoFXIII occasionally when someone hits me up for matches. S tier games but they're hard to find matches for outside of friend groups/discord.
I don't even remember the last time I touched MK11 sadly, I don't count Aftermath release coz I only played the story and labbed for a bit then never played it after that.

SC6 has been my go-to game since it came out, I dabble in others but always come back to it, It's the best figher out rn imo, plus making your own outfits is so sick.
Used to play Tekken/DoA6/DBFZ/Granblue but lost interest.
I'll play Skullgirls and KoFXIII occasionally when someone hits me up for matches. S tier games but they're hard to find matches for outside of friend groups/discord.
I don't even remember the last time I touched MK11 sadly, I don't count Aftermath release coz I only played the story and labbed for a bit then never played it after that.
wow, you really stepped away

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
wow, you really stepped away
haha, I was always a KOF main but NRS games used to be a close second. I don't "hate" MK11 (actually I do but lets try to keep it civil), I just don't enjoy it as much as I want to.
I feel the same way about the latest KoF (14) which is why I still play 13 instead.

I didn't even expect to like SC6 coz I hated all previous SC games, but SC6 hits that sweet spot of hidden depth but very easy to get into, it's a lot of fun and there's so many things you can do and learn. The freedom is very appealing to me.. and rings outs will never stop being hilarious.
plus ngl the custom outfits was a major selling point. I've maxed all 100 slots more than once at this point.

TL;DR try out other games you might find something you really like.

I tried to get into other games in the past but have had difficulty getting into them as I've only ever played NRS games. Killer Instinct looked awesome but the ever changing guitar hero esq combos threw me off, I'm too use to my dial-a-combo crutch I guess. I was hype for Dragon Ball Fighterz and got pretty into it for awhile but the match making was painfully slow as was the lag. But sitting there waiting up to 8 minutes to find an opponent every match got tiresome fast. Thats why I stopped playing Injustice 2 as well, as much as I love Injustice if the playerbase is so small i have to schedule specific times to play with friends than I'm not gonna bother relearning the game. Its a bummer but thats kinda my general rule with multiplayer games.

I really wanna try other fighters but they can be hard to get into coming from a strictly NRS/midway background. SF5 looks cool but seems like a mountain to climb in terms of learning. I might look into Marvel vs Capcon Infinite or the Samurai Showdown game, if the player base is there. I also worry that goin to games like marvel v capcon from MK11 will be like going from beer to crystal meth lol
Just go to training mode and mess around, get a feel for the game and the moves of whatever character you fancy and go from there.
NRS games are weird but lots of what you learned in them can transfer to other games.
Outside of the combo system and that there's no strings (3d games aside) it shouldn't be that difficult.

Just take your time exploring the game and its mechanics, personally messing around in a new game and figuring out how it works is one of the more enjoyable phases but I understand that not everyone feels that way.

From the ones you mentioned SF5 is the most active but it's a pretty beefy cast at this point. The game itself isnt that diffcult but learning what all the characters do and their V stuff will take a while. Also the netcode is very hit-or-miss.
MvCi is mad fun if you don't mind scummy tactics and fighting Dante/Zero all day but idk how many players you'll find that still play it. The netcode is actually decent tho.
Samsho is a weird super slow methodical game which is unique but the netcode is super ass, unless you know people that live close-ish to you that play it I'd go with one of the other games. This is probably the easiest game in the bunch.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
too complicated? I mean the characters have over 100 moves and nothing is special cancel
Firstly, there are 3 characters that you can special cancel normals off of if that's what you're looking for. Akuma, Eliza and Geese are all designed with 2D fighters in mind. Both Akuma and Geese are incredibly strong characters while Eliza is considered very weak. Eliza is a nightmare if you don't know the matchup, though.

As far as the 100 moves or more for each character, if you watch any high level Tekken, you'll see that only a portion of those moves are used. If anyone is feeling intimidated, there are countless videos online from amazing creators like That Blasted Salami who post breakdowns of each character. The movelists are so incredibly bloated at this point for no reason. Why tenstrings are even still in the game is beyond me.

Overall, I think people overestimate the difficulty of Tekken. The most difficult thing about the current game is learning matchups. There's arguably more characters in the game than necessary, so it's caused some roster bloating.

Tekken 7 to me, is unquestionably the best fighter out there right now. There's more to learn and explore in any one given character in Tekken 7 than there is in the entirety of MK11's roster.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
too complicated? I mean the characters have over 100 moves and nothing is special cancel
It isn’t any more complicated than SC. For the sheer number of moves, the character variety is lacking. It is uninteresting to play out of the lab, and certainly the least fun to watch.
For all the visual “upgrades” it’s gotten over the years, it essentially looks and plays no different than it did 20 years ago. Harada has no vision.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Thank you man for the insight. Saved me some research, I appreciate it.

As far as what do i enjoy about the games I play I'll keep it to fighters to keep it simpler. I like things to look cool visually, and by that I guess I mean it can't be too cartoonish. Like I adore the look of MK11, and sf has always looked cool, but some of the more weird anime esq games like Skull girls or cartoony Smash Bros don't appeal to me (not trying to knock them I would totally try them). I like the neutral of MK11 and the flashy, learnable/alterable combos of Injustice. I like NRS fighters cuz they're approachable, easy to learn but hard to master. I'm not a big fan of variations and I like the freedom to express my own personality/style with the characters I play. Playing Lex in INj1 was heaven. I'm not opposed to 3d fighters but they are intimidating since I haven't played that style since MKA. And like I said earlier, the online playerbase has to somewhat be there numbers wise. And the better the netcode the better too. Sorry if this is insanely specific, I make exceptions all the time.

Also this is the edible kicking in, but I feel like you're a doctor, prescribing me a fighter to get into lol. no pressure tho
There aren't a lot of fighters that have a good grown up look to them other than MK, and less that would be worth playing. Tekken 7 probably the best all around from looks, to play, to player base. With so many characters there is a burden of knowledge issue to overcome. It is fairly responsive inputs wise, but some things (movement especially) aren't super natural feeling or easy to just do. I play it a little, but am gutter trash and probably always will be.

I think SC6 is the easiest game to widely recommend. The characters are all distinctive, the system is easy to get into, the game is super responsive for everything you do, lots of cool stuff to look at. Combos aren't super deep or challenging but they look good and there is a little more flexibility there than MK11 and has stuff going on there with situations like walls and ring outs to dig into as you get more into it. There is also a lot of streaming content and players showing it off daily to keep up on. The main down side is the player base is in a weird half way place where it's not a full on discord game, but it's not like SFV, Tekken, or even MK11 player levels where you can just expect to run into various randoms at any point you hop on. Something that highlights its netcode being OK for delay based, but still ultimately delay based netcode. There are definitely more people out there playing it than most other games, but it could always use more.

It also plays not totally dissimilar to MK is some respects. Positioning and getting people to wiff is important. Frame data is super relevant, but it also gives you a ton of ways try and bypass a turn loss. You can basically low poke under horizontals like you might d1 in MK for example. Then GI's and stepping also work. GI's aren't totally unlike FB's if you made them super easy.

There is a burden of knowledge that is greater than MK11. It's not hard to lose to a garbage Voldo just because you don't know what the hell is happening. It's not as extreme as with Tekken, and SC6 probably has the best lab out of every game in existence. One possible hangup is I've heard it said the PS4 input delay is still really high compared to PC. PC is the one people play, and even heard one player recently talk about how they think it can be worse to deal with the PS4 delay than net delay while playing PC online.

If it wasn't totally unsupported and had players going back to older versions, I might have recommend DOA. It has about 75% of KI's always playing and get into someone head aspects, but without being as over the top and always on about it. There are brief mental respites and neutral doesn't always break down quite as quick. The combo ability aspect is interesting in that you aren't just tossing stuff together on the fly. You can lab out a few optimal-ish routes that require different breaks to keep from being predictable. Then you just pick one and start watching for tendencies and patterns to work off of. You might stop a combo to punish a hold attempt, which is functionally similar to doing a counter breaker in KI, but everything feels a lot more "doable" and less made up on the spot. You also get to blow people through explosives and continue combos not unlike how you might wall or background bounce someone in IJ. I'm probably only mentioning because I think it is probably my #1 all time favorite at this point. It just had so much stuff around it from a development and social standpoint that the game itself has a hard time rising above the perv aspect and developers more interested in selling addons than caring about the game.

Anyway that's a bunch of half awake TLDR material, so I'll stop now.

Gaxkang

Banned
Firstly, there are 3 characters that you can special cancel normals off of if that's what you're looking for. Akuma, Eliza and Geese are all designed with 2D fighters in mind. Both Akuma and Geese are incredibly strong characters while Eliza is considered very weak. Eliza is a nightmare if you don't know the matchup, though.

As far as the 100 moves or more for each character, if you watch any high level Tekken, you'll see that only a portion of those moves are used. If anyone is feeling intimidated, there are countless videos online from amazing creators like That Blasted Salami who post breakdowns of each character. The movelists are so incredibly bloated at this point for no reason. Why tenstrings are even still in the game is beyond me.

Overall, I think people overestimate the difficulty of Tekken. The most difficult thing about the current game is learning matchups. There's arguably more characters in the game than necessary, so it's caused some roster bloating.

Tekken 7 to me, is unquestionably the best fighter out there right now. There's more to learn and explore in any one given character in Tekken 7 than there is in the entirety of MK11's roster.
Yeah when you pick up a character ya read up on like, their top 10 or 15 moves. The huge move list either has redundant stuff or stuff in it that isn't used really.

So like player would refer to this (I dunno how up to date lol but yeah)
https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

And I'd say starting out focus on being able to do a couple juggles that someone can do consisently...like I played Master Raven for a time as a low rank player and i used simpler but pretty effective juggles.

And yeah the true hurdle in Tekken is learning matchup's, and which way to sidestep something etc.
I remember i had a lot of trouble fighting Alisa, so i looked at a punishment vid...long vid, very specific stuff and ya gotta do it right or else.

But Tekken 7 is a fun game to play below the Tekken wall where you have to decide whether to get really serious about matchup's.

I wonder if Tekken 8 they will change the movement....make it easier, they might as well really.

Last edited:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
It's been over a year and I played MK11 pretty much every other day, I'm burnt out for now but do love fighting games.
IJ2 only has a small community left so I find myself bring and adopting my MK play style to Tekken... after a few trail and errors I got the hang of it. What do other people play when their burnt

No disrespect or anything but anybody who knows tekken is not going to be beaten by corporal punishment into tombstone lol.
You can dick jab to stop it, duck the tombstone and ws punish, side step the full screen corporal punishment and punish. Not only rhat but tombstone is a 2 break.
To say you have figured out tekken is not right. But that is what is awsome about tekken man your gimmicks will work for a bit but when you come up against people who play tekken that will not work.
That's why the game is so good, when the gimmicks stop working you have to figure out what works

Last edited:
@Gooberking thank you so much for the break downs man. No TLDR needed. Sounds like SC6 might be my game but if the playerbase is in a weird spot it might hurt my drive to really get hooked on it. I'm surprised from your and other peoples comments but it kinda sounds like 3d fighters are king at the moment, especially tekkon. I've only ever heard praise for DOA gameplay but I don't even know what the latest version is, but it sounds cool. I would not be opposed to trying Tekkon but as an NRS MK11 player I kinda feel like a big goldfish in a pond wanting to jump into the ocean with giant sharks lol. And I do like the aspect of learning fighters and labing stuff and then having it work in a match (one of the most beautiful aspects of fighting games imo) but some games just seem sooo daunting to get to even that level.

I'm interested on your thoughts about SF5 and Marvel vs capcon, if you have them. I know marvel vs capcon had a disastrous release, but it kinda sounds like they rebounded...??? And no worries at all if you don't play these games or aren't familiar with them.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
DBZ if you wanna have some crazy stuff happening on screen. It's fun for sure, but the netcode being trash it kinda is shitty to play online. But if you like the anime then it's fun to play local at least.