What's new

What MK game would you recommend for new players?

What MK game would you reccomend to new players?

• Total voters

Momotaro

Noob
Figured this can be a good discussion since a lot of new people will be getting into MK9, from other communities and for the first time in FGs.

I guess I''ll start. Take it with a grain of salt as this is strictly my opinion.

To me, UMK3 is about applying pressure and putting your opponent into a place where he'll make mistakes. What makes UMK3 exciting is that if you fuck up by leaving any opening I can fuck you up even bigger than your mistake.

MK2; while slower, feels like its more about positioning and knowing what's possible in a given situation. Kinda like SF2 in the sense that one I have position over you, you're options are already limited. Guess that's the same thing I said for UMK3, I don't know. lol

Just because I know more about MK2 than UMK3 I would suggest the former. Any other suggestions/additions and criticisms will be appreciated.

It all depends on who you're introducing the game to.

A player who is more used to 2D games like most Street Fighter series will usually find more to like in UMK3.

MK1 is virtually unplayable by new players who are used to faster and deeper games. MK2 is a lot better, and has more strategy and options.

But UMK3 is the best animated, smoothest moving, has more character variety and has a better combo system.

I don't think it's even really a question.

As for the 3D games I have no idea, but I suppose if someone comes from a Tekken, SC, or DOA background they might be more receptive to those engines.

RoGE

Noob
Definitely UMK3 its a very fun and fast paced game but that doesn't mean there isn't other solid MK games, MKDA, MKSM and MKDC are solid from what I hear/see. Though I never played MKSM seriously so I can't judge it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm not going to vote on this strickly based on most preferred or best MK to date in which naturally you'll see more UMK3 votes...since this is for a newer player, UMK3 is too much for a player that never played an MK game before.

But honestly, since this thread says most recommended to a newer player? MK2 gets my vote...UMK3 to a total noob is bad IMO, if you don't know how to rush or defend remotely against it it won't be remotely fun...

I think MK2 is the better choice here IMO honestly because there's no run pressure, it gets you familiar with MK in general, then once you've mastered the mechanics in MK2...move on to UMK3. UMK3 has everything MK2 has but better, faster, smoother etc and a RUN button which is the one major difference and alters everything.

That's my opinion, if a newer player was picking up MK for the first time I'd say hey try MK2 first, then UMK3...

But if MK9 was out now, I'd say MK9 lol. I like it how they're making it for the casual, newer and hardcore players alike.