What's new

What Matchups Are You Having Trouble With?

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
With sub-zero, I almost always forget to getup attack or getup roll instead try to breakaway when most his attacks don't send you flying up. Also that 3 hit combo that has overhead in it. I just need to remember these things.
Now with Erron Black, I just can't handle the barrage of attacks he does to you, and the Overhead boot to the face and leg sweep are the 2 moves I generally can't block properly.
Subs mix is tough for sure, especially if they’re not being predictable with it.

I admit, idk if it’s a cancel or what, but when he does a string and does that pistol pull thing, d3 to interrupt the pressure.

dc1902

Noob
I have trouble with cassie. She has a good neutral game and kung lao doesn't. I look for punishes but I can't find any,and I keep getting pushed back after blocking her alot.

dc1902

Noob
Reading comprehension a 7-3 Matchup

Noob and Kabal are my two biggest struggle matchups. Theres a lot of really abusable tools in their arsenal that's much easier to deal with when I play Liu so I'm thinking about counter picking with him
I would think the noob match up would be managable. You can threaten noob's zoning with Teleport mixes or dive kick when you are closer in. And if noob teleport is unsafe and Kung Lao punishes hurt.....a lot.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I would think the noob match up would be managable. You can threaten noob's zoning with Teleport mixes or dive kick when you are closer in. And if noob teleport is unsafe and Kung Lao punishes hurt.....a lot.
KL's teleport isnt super reliable for punishing the ghost ball imo, but I might just not very confident in it yet. His poking game isnt particularly stellar but the fact that he can use b1,1+2 with impunity can make KL's stagger game much riskier.

Yea his zoning doesn't really concern me, it's not that scary.

It's the strings where he basically sends out his clone to hit you and you can't whiff punish them cause his clone got no hurtbox. I get caught by that a lot into 35-40 ish percent combos
Just in case anyone else is having troubles with that:

I discovered that this string can actually be punished by Lao's f13, but it's a very tight window for the true punish, only a couple of frames. It's important that you have to dash cancel into f13 for it to work.

But it is a true punish though and it really helps against noob.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Just in case anyone else is having troubles with that:

I discovered that this string can actually be punished by Lao's f13, but it's a very tight window for the true punish, only a couple of frames. It's important that you have to dash cancel into f13 for it to work.

But it is a true punish though and it really helps against noob.
Thanks a lot, this really helps. I gave up long before I even considered it. You the real Great Kung Lao

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Kitana is tough since she can just crouch block under Kung Lao's F1 stagger pressure. Can't cross her up either. I'm thinking about playing Shang just for this matchup

Cetrion, but I really just need to look over the frame data and figure out the best way to get past her zoning

Jacqui but I'm getting better at that one since I face at least two per play session. Poking out of her cancel pressure is starting to get easier

Raiden players have a weird rhythm and I feel like I have to play more wild against them

Erron Black too. I used to downplay him but now I feel like I'm playing better Erron Black players now and I can see why so many struggle against him. I hate to be this way but I feel like he's a super braindead character and he gives me serious Ken vibes. I also think my old main Kotal actually does decently well in this matchup so maybe that's why

Pygmy_Potato

BF4+FF+BLK
just played a long set with a skarlet. Wow that sucked.
Idk if it’s been discussed already but after a F12 it seems you can time a D3 to low profile or a FB on her U3 which makes it punishable. Forward dashing twice and then inputting d3/blk seems to hit it. Off a back throw it’s off one fwd dash.

So there’s that at least.

DDTECH

H8TR MKR
I finished DemiGod for KLS1, I was on the tip of getting God, however, the lag cheaters and zoners really got to me so i just elected to stop.

I have a very solid Lao, very solid. Using Hattrick / Zhat if you would and i have a custom variation with the whirlwind that really throws people for a loop in KOTHs. With that said, even though lao has a teleport, i still have huge issues with Scarlet or Katana players. as well as some sonya's.

The zoning attacks are quick, and Lao', while he's already so negative on everything he does, its hard to time stuff.

A absolute ROOK could take sonya and land any 3 of her major 40+% combos with easy, they really need to nerf some of these women characters badly. I understand there will always be someone better, and i get that, but like yesterday, i took 3 Ls in a row and that hasn't happened in a few months.. and it was all against zoners, I apparently dont do well vs them but scarlet with bloodport was particularly a hard match up for me. Aside from these 3, i pretty much dont have any issues online with many matcheups.

Ozzy_K

Death waits for a slightest lapse in concentration
I am learning Kung Lao and wanted to ask how is the matchup with Scorpion, can anyone share their experience?

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Cetrion as Cassie is my big one as of late. Up close, Cassie takes it easily. The problem is all the times when you're not close. Cassie has no teleport or really a means of getting in that Cetrion can't counter.

Jump in? She has Up Rock.
Up Glow Kick? Same thing.
Shadow Kick? Pretty much all of her zoning tools.

Not to mention her Geyser, which is practically the bane of my existence.

Even the best characters in games have bad matchups, this just happens to be hers.