What's new

What makes up a good fighting game?

Sixoul

Noob
Hi I've recently started making a fighting game using UDK. Then I started wondering what kind of mechanics should I include in this game. I don't want it to be a clone of one game but I still would like to know what people like in their fighting games. I would also like to know what people consider to be required in a fighting game besides the general game mechanics. Of course training seems required. But what about multiplayer, survival, challenges, combo training, etc. What do people deem necessary. Also what is your favorite style of fighter?​

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Oh my :D
I've been in the beginning stages of designing a fighting game for a long time now. I think what most people like in their fighting games are depth and cool designs. It's what most people come for, the style and the ability to develop a powerful, evolving metagame. Outside of the obvious things, (a stable system for fighting) a fighting game doesn't "require" anything. No two fighters should have to be the same.

Just because MK has a meter system, it doesn't mean your fighter needs a bar. Though, I'm one of those who like the power bars. If you really need a base, look at the most basic fighting game that gives you inspiration for this style and work from there. (First KoF, SF 2, UMK3, etc) unless you want a 3D game (Tekken, SC, you get my drift?)

As for things outside the core gameplay, anything your heart desires. People like to say that the things that don't absolutely prepare you for EVO (challenge tower :p) are a waste of time, but not every fighting game has to be competitive to be good. The only thing necessary would probably be a good Training Mode and 2 player mode, but you can stretch that.

Remember the 3D MK games? How they would not only teach you how to play, but give you the general basics of each character as well, so that you have a good leg to start off of? Or maybe it was just DA. Try something like that! Look at what other special modes other fighting games have and think "Where'd they go wrong? I can make it right" Expand on it make it better.

I can't really tell you what to put in, it's your game, but the things you listed are alreayd awesome for extra modes. go ahead and throw them in!

As for my favorite style of fighter, I'd have to say something fast moving and 2D (though I do love 3D fighters as well) maybe not too technical so it's easy to pick up, but with a big curve, making it really hard to actually master. I hope my rambling helped any at all, if I didn't make something clear or you were looking for a different answer, I'll be happy to post more on it with you. :)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
IMO, if I were to make a fighting game and I've love to. I'd incorporate these things as best as possible.

-As best balance as possible, tight gameplay that appeals to both casual as well as hardcore audiences

-Patches/updates(if possible)

-Cool, developed characters with a neat backstory, powers, fighting styles etc

-Diverse selection of characters(MK does this very well, example not just all "humans")

-Preferably 2D hitboxes and 2D gameplay

-Hot chicks for eyecandy and style

-Throw escapes/techs

-Block button(my preference)

-Good training mode like ones we've seen in MK9 and 3D MK's but that and even more deeper, various practice options from having the dummy attack with any of all of their attacks, to doing their combos to you so you can experiment with different defensive tactics, to them doing their special moves over and over to again train you to defend around it or just them sitting still. Also have more record options too like currently.

-Have around 30-40 characters max

-Have DLC, more costumes, characters and arenas

-My game would have blood, scarring, messed up clothing similar to MK

-A super meter of some sort

-Standard 1 on 1 options for 2 players

-3 to 4 players options too

-Finishing moves

-4 player option like MK9, tag team style. Both offline and online, but with an extra option to have 4 individual players or friends tag each other online to help each other, not just 2 online on one xbox, as oppose to 2 online via another xbox or one player controlling 2 characters in tag team matches(which I'd also have available.

-Have a KOTH room with however a lock option from 4, 6, 8 or 12 option or free join option with no limit based on the creators choice of course, but would also have a free open challenge option like in MK9's current lobby's.

-Option to instant recording of training, matches off or online to youtube via your account from the game within via an automatic application(one time fee of 5 dollars and you have this option forever on your console since this is saving a lot of time, work and money on cams, uploading etc) Some games have this already such as Dirt 3, but sadly isn't mainstream as it should be.

-Practice mode with online options so you can practice with a friend in just training if you wish

-Training/practice mode for finishing moves like MK9 as well as special moves, movement etc

-Storyline mode, with an MK9 style cinematic sequences while you play

-Create a character mode, very deep, layered options one per-profile. NOTE: you can take them online like MK A however, with locks and KAK and non-KAK rooms, lobbies. Ranked matches and player ranked matches, KAK not allowed. Also, something newer that's only been done in a DSi and 3DS app game called "Photo Dojo" where you make your own fighting characters based on yourself, friends etc you could make/record "sounds" for your fighters special moves, this is something to be honest I'm surprised nobody has taken advantage of yet in a fighting game with a KAK option, especially the Kinect with their mic options as a standard now. But I'd offer the option, instead of choosing from 100 different voice "tones" which I'd also have available preset, I'd give you the option to make your own, record and upload your own "grunts, screams, punches, etc, etc" into your own character.

-A combo system like MK9's where you have a few little automatic dial up strings, but the rest you as the player have to make up to your desire. Yet make it accessable to the casual player as well with having easy punches, kicks, special moves.

-A tournament mode set up(think MK4's tournament set up or MKT's) however with online and offline options, brackets etc. Tournament mode would have an exclusive room online for people who want to hold little tournaments from 8-16 players options. Everyone else watches in this mode, while the rest wait to play whoever they have to play whoever with a week save option via a vote, tally from everyone in the room so next time you log on or set up to do so, you'd be able to continue otherwise if everyone leaves, it's done. I'd also toy with the idea of having the creator of the tourney be able to save it for a few days at least depending.

-An idea that has yet to be done in a fighting game, allow to create a Clan option with members who join to be saved on the games server(example, similar to a leaderboard stat but with a clan board) with this, have an option for clan tourneys online, leagues etc(sports games have this option these days) I think this would be really cool if implemented in a fighting game.

-Instant replay mode, like DOA along side with the record options with every single match you play off and online, pausing options, frame shot, take picture options if you want to take a clip, shot of a fight and save it :)

-Standard arcade ladder where you beat the game, unlock alternate costume(like MK9)

- Either motion comic endings like MK9 or movies/cinematic like MK4

-Standard difficulty options from easy to max, blood or no blood(no blood having no blood or fatalities, finishers) and a handicap option like the older MK's had(where one player who is weaker has full heath, his foe you can set however you like heath bar) standard music, sound options, brightness etc

Ok lol, if I have more ideas to come I'll add or re-edit this list but I'd want all of the above in my fighting game.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
MK9 has raised the bar for story mode in fighting games so imo solid story, tight gameplay and then you need to bring something new/unique to the table to define your game and set it apart from the rest.

Espio

Kokomo
Training mode with recording feature

Survival mode

A balance of accesibility for casuals and depth for hardcore players.

Fluidity of a the controls to make for addicting gameplay.

Balanced to the best possible degree.

Diverse styles of gameplay, different projectile speeds, damage outputs, mix ups etc.

Costumes for male and female characters that are contrasting and unique(not all or the girl or guy characters should look half naked, have some variety).

Tag team mode with up to 4 players multiplayer.

Attempt at story telling that is actually interesting and engaging.

Iconic and memorable special moves for characters.

Tons of additional content for replay value.

I think we're set with that formula, in my opinion :)

Character balance (tier is good because sometimes bad characters in the game are fun to learn, but top characters should be similar in power), no comeback factor, no glitches, no inf, everyone should have at least 2 bad match ups, cool character designs with different costumes, different supers, awesome meter use and combo system (like mk)

A diverse cast yet balanced at the same time. Also, the makers of the game who care about the competitive community and don't try to milk as much money as possible. Other universal variables like meter management that are done well can also add to the game a lot. If a game has all of these and people still don't like it, then it's just a matter of personal preference on game style. If MK9 and SF4 were both very balanced, I'd still pick mk9 over sf4.

Sixoul

Noob
The only way I would try to milk money from a fighting game is more characters as dlc, costumes besides the alt costumes already in game, and possibly an unlock all mode for those lazy people and for tournaments. I always wondered how to tournies have everyone unlocked, do they get someone to unlock everything?

But I shouldn't be thinking about dlc at the moment till I get started.

Sasuga

Noob
Wow, that's a big project. Fully functional mechanics should be your first objective, the rest in terms of modes of play is childsplay compared to that! Apart from Arcade mode and it's AI, that is.

You see the same stuff in most modern (2d) fighters. Normal and special moves, meters and 'super'moves. The way in which you implement those can make it entirely different from any other game that has those aspects. Being original is important but you should also not avoid using stuff because it is has been done before. Capcom has tried lots of different mechanics, some work better than others.

How do you want the players to play the game is important. So you can reward good offence or defense.

Women in sexy clothing, not just a guys perspective but my wife prefers this too.
Thank you for this comment:)

Sixoul

Noob
Well I'm just brainstorming so far. Also I know it's about game mechanics which is what I was hoping would be talked about mostly in the thread as that is the biggest part of the game. But game modes and stuff are essential to keep the casual player interested.

btw does anyone know if any 2D fighters ever used a parry system? I really liked that in SC games as it was fun but hard to do. Just not sure how it would work on a 2D plane.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Street Fighter's 3rd Strike is the first game that comes to mind. I'm not sure of the parry system in SC, though.

MKF30

What if you were to make a game yourself though?

With that, MK9, Smash melee, UMK3 come to mind with nearly perfected or as close to solid gameplay come but yeah.

I noticed nobody ever mentions DOA or VF with these topics, does anyone like those games or inspired to make a fighter from them?

Sixoul

Noob
Do people prefer variations on the special moves or one standard special move? By variation I mean something like UMVC3 where low does a weak fast fireball, med does a faster slightly stronger fireball, and heavy does a slow but stronger fireball. Standard is pretty much you use either punch buttons to do the fireball and it doesn't change or it could be like MK where one punch does one move and the other punch does a different move.

Also I'm a fan of anime and there are some fights where it's just a clash of titans and you know it's going to be an epic fight. I want to get that feeling into the game but I have no idea how. Have you guys ever felt like a matchup was just epic or so awesome it was a fight between titans. When you felt like the match was just going to be epic why did you think it was going to be epic, was it the characters, the music, the atmosphere?

To name some specific animes I get the feeling from

DBZ: SSJ Goku vs Frieza
Bleach: Ichigo vs Aizen, Ichigo vs Grimmjow
Fairy Tail: Natsu vs Gajeel, Natsu vs Zero, Laxus vs Hades
Naurto: Naruto vs Pein, Jiraiya vs Pein

That's all I can think of right now. But those are some fights I considered an epic showdown.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Again, that's personal preference, but I prefer multiple versions of the same move. That's just me though. I', not sure what most people like.

As for big match ups, I always feel that fights in Hell are always so epic because of the music and the action going ton there. I can understand your want for that completely and I think a big part of it may be character design and buildup. Like the two characters are past rivals or enemies, that always gets people hyped up. It's like when you get to that fight, you get to "live" a big and important scene and that's always awesome. It's the reason people get so hyped for Sub vs Scorp, their history together. Loads of toruneys have the final match in Shao Khan's Colosseum because of the connections it has witht he story and how epic a place it is. Just look at it! It's a giant tournament area.

History, music, and settings all create an epic feeling in a match up, imo.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
With mk I liked having all the special moves and what not, but after playing SoulCalibur 5 *I suck at it and haven't even broken the ice* I really do love how in depth all the moves are and the options, so I would say a mixture of both would be great.

I'm only serious about MK9, never about any previous fighting game and I've recently played sf and HATE IT, I think a fighting game needs to be quick other wise it's boring.

Sixoul

Noob
With mk I liked having all the special moves and what not, but after playing SoulCalibur 5 *I suck at it and haven't even broken the ice* I really do love how in depth all the moves are and the options, so I would say a mixture of both would be great.

I'm only serious about MK9, never about any previous fighting game and I've recently played sf and HATE IT, I think a fighting game needs to be quick other wise it's boring.
I slightly agree. I play SF and I hate it unless it's with friends where it's just for fun. MK is much more appealing to me in the pace of the game. Although I think UMVC3 can be too fast. I was never good at 3D fighting games. I don't want it to end too quickly because I want these epic feeling of matches and I sometimes think those can be slow or built up into and not always epic from the start.

A good fighting game consist of

1) Viable Cast. You don't need perfect balance (there is no such thing), but you do need majority if not all the cast to be viable in some way or another

2) Less/none random factors. I'm talking about things like the game deciding who wins a trade, who wins a draw, random proc hits etc etc

3) Fluidity. The game needs to be fluid and relatively decently paced.

4) Zoners and Rushdown should be balance. Zoning should be a viable option, but at the same time rushdown needs to be viable as well

5) Differentiating playstyles. In SF you have Ryu and Zangief and Dhalsim. In MvC3 you have morrigan, wolverine, dorm. In SC you have Astaroth, Ivy, Natsu and in MK you have Kabal, Reptile, and Kung Lao. You need character that feel different from each other to create an unique playstyle

6) Good Framerate. 60 FPS or nothing.

7) Oki and Yomi. You should be allowed to outplay your opponents if you can read them. Its not "guessing" when somebody wakeup super/dp and it hits you 90% of the time

8) Solid Frames. What I mean is you should be able to take advantage of your opponents' mishab if they do something thats negative on block. Or you can setup frame trap if you land a positive frame ability. This allows yomi and the ability to outsmart your opponent.

Those are some of the immediate things I can think up in my head.

MKF30

Again, that's personal preference, but I prefer multiple versions of the same move. That's just me though. I', not sure what most people like.

As for big match ups, I always feel that fights in Hell are always so epic because of the music and the action going ton there. I can understand your want for that completely and I think a big part of it may be character design and buildup. Like the two characters are past rivals or enemies, that always gets people hyped up. It's like when you get to that fight, you get to "live" a big and important scene and that's always awesome. It's the reason people get so hyped for Sub vs Scorp, their history together. Loads of toruneys have the final match in Shao Khan's Colosseum because of the connections it has witht he story and how epic a place it is. Just look at it! It's a giant tournament area.

History, music, and settings all create an epic feeling in a match up, imo.

Yeah, I think it's hard to make moves for a vast variety of characters not being "somewhat identical" MK9 does this pretty damn well, but notice even the moves like Smoke, Ermac and Scorp's teleport are all different from each other yet somewhat similar. Smokes is obviously the fastest, Ermac's second then Scorp's as well as their enhanced versions.

SF I've noticed the hadokens are very similar, personally I don't mind recycled moves as long as it's not over done and should be some slight differences to them :)

Sixoul

Noob
Which do you guys think is better being able to choose damage, time, team size, or keep some of them the same? Like skullgirls allows you to choose team size, which I'm not sure how that works out for some. But then other fighters have damage choose. I know most have time choosing but which do you think is better, 99 or 60 seconds?

Also how are team games viewed? I hear a lot of hype about tekken tag. But I also hear people dislike UMVC3 even though it is considered really good. But then I never see anyone really pro with MK9 tag combos, sure I see a combo vid but not too many. Should I stick with 1v1 or go 2v2 or 3v3?