What's new

What makes the perfect fighting game?

Hello,

So let me be up-front first, I'm a casual fighting game player, but I understand the complex theory behind these games and the flaws the community brings up.

During my 12 causal years in the online FGC, I've noticed a regular occurrence, the negative feedback around specific fighting game mechanics in specific games.... I rarely see games being opening praised for mechanics (or at least these opinions are often drowned out).

... so that brings me to my question:

- If you could create your own 'perfect' fighting game, what would it be like (e.g. balanced roster, specific mechanics, no block button)

I guess what I'm keen to understand, is there a general consensus around the mechanics/features that players want in their fighting games?

Last edited:

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Valid question, the answer is a little more complex however as perfection is subjective from person to person and relative to each individual game.

Personally I like a diverse (but small) roster that sticks to traditional FG archetypes (zoner, grapple, rushdown etc), with particular emphasis on strong ground game.

As long as it's relatively consistent with its design choices and that every character in the game has decent/sufficient tools to compete (generally speaking, this is much easier to achieve with a smaller roster as the characters tend to be better realised)

There's always room for cool dexterous mechanics too e.g Blue Beetle's fly mechanics in Injustice 2, wave dashing and just frame attacks in Tekken etc, to keep the game feeling fresh and not too Vanilla.

Alternatively:
Take your favourite fighting game and remove / fix all the nonsensical, head scratching and incongruous design choices from it and there, it's perfect.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think it's tough to nail down exact features or mechanics. And a lot of stuff like balance, fun, hype, or other buzzwords people use can be pretty subjective. I've found I can enjoy a lot of different games, even with different mechanics. The big thing to me is how finely crafted the game is.

My favorite game would be Virtua Fighter. At it's basic level it's about a simple block/hit/throw game with a heavy emphasis on knowing when to take your turn. At higher levels it really turns into knowing your opponent well enough to be able to trick them into acting when it's not their turn, and knowing when you can try and steal turns back from them.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
A game that would contain :

• Ambitious and cool game design
  • Interesting and inovative gameplay mechanics
  • Interesting and variated roster; with good balancing
  • Good replay value
  • Additional nice extra content
  • Decent support and updates fixes; constant patches
  • Good lore and awesome history mode
Mixing that on the right dosage and expecting to have a 100% perfect fighting game it's impossible, but, something around 80% to 90% near this would be fine

And add the fact that the "fanbase" (sometimes disguised on/of pure fanboyism and bias fanatism) sometimes, don't know what exactly want, have no clue what ask for ..... try to please everyone is totally impossible; developers already should know about that at this point, haha ! :p

So, does not exist the perfect game; this way, I keep up with what happens in the real world, and MK11 is decent enough to continue to be played, hehe

Until MK12 come out, obviously .... :joker:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
don't know what exactly want, have no clue what ask for
I want a perfectly balanced game where my character has a ton of 6-4 matchups, no 50/50's, plenty of ways to open up the opponent and make them have to guess, and also a very neutral based game with a lot of rushdown and no zoning. Also I want a variety of characters. No mashing or spam allowed.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I want a perfectly balanced game where my character has a ton of 6-4 matchups, no 50/50's, plenty of ways to open up the opponent and make them have to guess, and also a very neutral based game with a lot of rushdown and no zoning. Also I want a variety of characters. No mashing or spam allowed.
that's good ..... you're with the minority, that knows what want .... congratulations ! I second that in a heartbeat ! ;)

nevertheless, however .... :oops:

unfortunately, the majority that buy the game and are responsible for the greater part of the profit revenue AKA cash/money that NRS gains with MK11 sales, are the whinning fanboys around Twitter and social networks, crying out for Mileena and Rain until now, lol ! these people, sure know nothing more than skin deep level about what makes a game good and balanced, hehe

life is a shit , no ? hehe

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The real truth is that the perfect fighting game does not exist.

There will always be some mechanics that induce salt, are frustrating, or are annoying. But getting over those hurdles to achieve some kind of success is part of the joy of playing FGs.

The real truth is that the perfect fighting game does not exist.
I'm not asking what is the perfect fighting game, I'm asking for peoples thought on what they would want in their 'perfect' game. I know a 'perfect' game doesn't exist.

My idea would be to see if there is some general consensus across some aspects.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I'm not asking what is the perfect fighting game, I'm asking for peoples thought on what they would want in their 'perfect' game. I know a 'perfect' game doesn't exist.

My idea would be to see if there is some general consensus across some aspects.
Yeah, this was also my subtle way of saying that people don't really know what they want, and there's not actually a lot of consensus.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
But people seem to clearly know what they dont want... hahaha
They don't want whatever is different from the last game that they played.. But they also don't want it to be the same as the last game they played, because that's lazy/a cash grab :p

So basically make it the same as every other game but different. But not too much the same, but not too different.

Easy, right?

They don't want whatever is different from the last game that they played.. But they also don't want it to be the same as the last game they played, because that's lazy/a cash grab :p

So basically make it the same as every other game but different. But not too much the same, but not too different.

Easy, right?
You've cracked it!!!

Make it different enough so it's the same, but same enough so it's different!!

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Consistent hitboxes and hurtboxes. Mids actually working as actual mids because mids whiffing for no reason on crouching opponents is fucking stupid no matter how u slice it.

Roster: a decent base roster of let's say 15-25 is a fair number.

Mechanics just being consistent, like if the game wants to be neutral focused then it should be neutral focused and not have some character breaking the rules of the game for free.

Tldr: basically the opposite of whatever the fuck NRS does :DOGE