What's new

Question What makes a good grapple character.

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
Now i dont have nearly the amount of fighting game experience as may other people in the world, so i am making this thread to discus grapple characters. I have only played MK9, Injsutice, SF4, and MKX. I have noticed many different balancing techniques that different companies create. I cannot talk about lets say marvel or tekken because i do not play those games so if anyone could comment on those games that would be nice. Basically lets talk about jason. Now i want to play jason inb4 predator. I would say slasher is the best. However his two other variations are both (what is safe to say) grapple variations. Now there is a problem with this. Whilst one command grab is fast which is good the other has range which is good. His normals are sub par and he is actually quite slow. This is why i bring up the subject. In the fighting games i have been lead to believe that in order for a grapple character to be considered "good" and not average or bad is due to one of two things. Are they fast or have long range normals/grabs. For example, many would believe that zangeif would be considered good or at least very decent. His fierce kick as well as other normals are very above average and his command grabs are extremely fast. Also there is abel which i believed to be mid tierish. He has mobility with decent speed and normals. Hugo is bad because his normals, besides a few, are slow and bad. all he has is armor. Lets talk about mk9 now, Sheeva was extremely slow and had no mobility, with only a few long normals. Injsutice there was bane which IMO was the best grappler. He had above par range with normals not too slow but loads of armor. And his mobility was (dashes) was extremely good. Lobo another long range strings with armor and moblity. Shazam had moblity, but all his tools were punishable. his grab was decent but that fact taht u could duck it was extremely poor. usually any grab that is not a mid is probably bad. And as erron black would point out "like you new holes" everything u could armor out of. Grundy's normals out side of d2 were all and slow terrible. Now in mk9 jason literally has the WORST back dash in the game his foward dash sucks he is very slow. yes he has armor but its risk/reward which none of the above grapplers had. FYI even his air grab sucks. Air grabs should always have invincibility in the air IMO. that just makes a lot of sense to me. So the point im trying to make is 1. other than slasher, jason's other two variations, if they follow the pattern mentioned above, are very poor options. 2 can anyone name a grappler that was good in a game not mentioned that doesnt have fast good normals or long range normals/grabs. I dont know why nrs keeps making grapple characters that are slow which is the only thing hindering them from actaully being good characters