What's new

What Makes a Competitive Player "Professional"?

SoV N3RO

G.O.A.T Robin
So I went to a hockey game with my dad the other night. It was the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Minnesota Wild.
Near the end of the 2nd period, my dad pointed out "Y'know.. My pals and I could probably go against the Leafs" and I respond with "dad these guys are professional. What makes you think you can go against em?" My dad responded "when it comes to skill level on how we play, I think we could easily go against them."
This topic of conversation then got me thinking about fighting games, and I questioned to myself what makes a regular competitive player so much different from players who we consider "professional"; or in a more extreme case, what could make me so much different from SonicFox?

Its easy to tell the difference between a casual sports player versus a professional sports player; there's a difference in the way a professional player would think opposed to a casual player, plus they have a better understanding and awareness of the game compared to that of a casual player. There's also a difference in how the two play, with the idea of there being more thought as to how they play and just the way a professional would move around is much different than how a casual player would.
This idea can also apply to fighting games, as pro players obviously understand how the game works where-as a casual player is probably mashing for their dear life. But what about competitive players? Players who understand the game to the level of a professional and play the game as if it WERE their profession. What's the difference between that and a pro player?

There are various elements about fighting games that we can dwell into and make assumptions about based on these two types of players:

We could assume that a player obviously understands the game, but expanding on that we could also assume they understand the mechanics behind it; frame data, tech, ect. It's safe to say that I understand the difference between positive and negative frame advantage on block to the same understanding as SonicFox would, so what makes the two of us different? If I can react to those types of situations to the same level of understanding as SonicFox, then what is it that makes us so different when it comes to the thought process behind playing competitively?
Shifting from mentally, we can also think physically. We could assume a competitive player's execution is top-notch, and they can pull off execution heavy combos or string with no problem. So the question still stands: whats the difference between my execution level and that of a professional player's? If I can physically and mentally react to certain instances mid game, then what is the difference between the two of us?
There's various elements when it comes to the "nitty-gritty" of a fighting game and being good at it; yet the question still stands to how our levels of understanding differ.

TL;DR If we could suggest that a player's level of understanding is equal to that of a pro player's, then what is it that separates just The Competitive versus The Professionally Competitive?

(This is a topic that is open for discussion, so please let me know your thoughts to this question)

Noob
Heads up. I think I started to rant a bit.

Technically, a "pro Player" is somebody who makes money from gaming. The "Pro" being proffesion.

But if your comparing top level players to mid level players then it is highly dependent on the players being compared.
If you say you both have the same execution and same understanding then it would come down to mentality.

The "Pro" mindset.

A lot of top players will tell you that they are playing for fun. This is true for some. The playing for fun aspect makes them feel less stress as they
don't particularly care if they lose. That ability to deal with stress is one of the most important aspects of a "pros" mentality.
In gaming, in sports, in business. In anything where one person is trying to get ahead of another.
And of course there a players who want to win more than others. And that drives them to focus more. Again, helping them deal with the stress of it.

If you look at it more realistically. The reason you aren't at the same level as Sonic is there is a difference between you two.

I compare myself to my mates that play. I am the worst out of the bunch. My problem is stage fright. When I play against live opponents I drop combos and make bad decisions.
I spend time practicing where they don't. And they are high level in our locals. When I compare my execution to theirs, we are even, when I compare
my understanding of the game and its mechanics, we are even. Yet I lose and they win.

But, I feel I am a better player. As I can adapt faster than them. I can see gaps in peoples play styles better than them
And I can read people better than them. I feel I have the analytical ability of a "Pro" player. I often sit back and watch one of my mates play, "coach" him on what I see. And they will improve. When I get around the stress and stage fright. I think I will be a high level player.

So, there is way more to it than just being able to press the buttons the same as a "Pro" player. Or being able to press the buttons in the same situation as a "Pro" player.
If you understand the game completely to the highest possible level and you execute your presses 100% corecctly 100% of the time. Chances are you will lose often to a mid level
player who understands YOU 100%.

And that analytical ability, being able to download your opponent and dealing with the stress is what makes a "Pro" player "Pro".

Well at least that's what I think.

WarlordRenegade

Founder of Team Renegade
"Pro" is tossed around way too much in the FGC. If sonic fox goes to Ceo or Evo and gets bopped in pools (unlikely) he wouldn't earn any of the pot bonus or profit at all for those tournaments, does that mean he is or is not professional? In most fields a professional is someone who gets paid to do a certain job/task and earns salary/wages to do so. So does the FGC players only get paid to win? Or paid to compete? The answer is it's unclear from player to player, if they are sponsored (with a fixed salary) then I'd for sure say professional is the correct term. But if they aren't and they still compete and win here or there couldn't they still be considered professional? There is no right or wrong answer. If someone takes it seriously enough to travel all over the nation competing and traveling to all these events whether they win first or make top 8/16/32 I would still consider them a professional

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
In every other eSport, a pro is a player who has a legitimate career built off just playing the game. People just call top tournament placers in this game "pros", because well, they would be if there was a decent financial backing to the competitive scene. However there isn't, so its hard to draw the line. Taking it by definition, the only pro is probably SonicFox. To give the word any meaning at all in this scene, it would probably apply to guys placing top 8 at significant events more than once. Because there can't be any real definition here like there is for financially established eSports, it means the term is a very loose one and I doubt you will be able to find any strict definition for it

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
im sure i could easily be a "pro", unfortunately i have several barriers in the way. Needing a scene, regular sets with great players using many different chracters. The means to travel, a shitty connection, money.

yeah theres a lot in my way :(

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I think it's just tournament presence. There really isn't too much difference between 'pro' players and very good players just tournament experience and exposure. Pro is just a title. Although there are players who are clearly more skilled than the rest

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Commitment, the only REAL difference between casuals and pros as well as incentives for THAT commitment