What's new

What law says it's not ok to use the same move more than once in a competitive match?

Cant react probably to anything online and majority of players would be trash offline.
There was a guy in the MK subreddit that admitted to using his phone as a hot spot to play and a few others who were like "why should I spend money on an Ethernet cable when wifi works just fine", so I have to imagine there's a chunk of the community who doesn't give a shit about a good online experience or making the experience worse for others.

Devil's advocate though, I've had discussions with a SamSho5Sp player who is really great and knowledgeable about the game about how some things people get away with online wouldn't work offline, and I agree with that, but at the same time, if those people aren't ever going to play offline, does it matter? If the majority of the community plays online only, does that mean that the online meta is the one that's really more important because it affects more players?

In some ways I could see making the case that "The connection sucks and I couldn't react to anything" as an upgraded version of "you were just using cheap moves I didn't know how to get around." Which isn't to say I've never had that problem or called it out, just saying that as someone who's said it myself a few times, it's usually been when I was pissed about the result of a match with someone I was pretty sure I could beat.

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Using the same move more than once should be read as a weakness to be exploited, a pattern you could study how to break and counter easily, because the opponent is gonna repeat it over and over. I'll never understand the idea that spamming a move is to the benefit of the player doing it.
This should be a pinned post on the MK subreddit. There's not a day that goes by without some post about "trashy Jade / Scorpion / Sheeva spammers" and how they're "mindless apes" or some shit. Meanwhile, if there's a video attached of the match that pissed them off, everyone can watch as the "spammer" does an EASILY countered flowchart while the complainer just walks head first into everything over and over.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There was a guy in the MK subreddit that admitted to using his phone as a hot spot to play and a few others who were like "why should I spend money on an Ethernet cable when wifi works just fine", so I have to imagine there's a chunk of the community who doesn't give a shit about a good online experience or making the experience worse for others.

Devil's advocate though, I've had discussions with a SamSho5Sp player who is really great and knowledgeable about the game about how some things people get away with online wouldn't work offline, and I agree with that, but at the same time, if those people aren't ever going to play offline, does it matter? If the majority of the community plays online only, does that mean that the online meta is the one that's really more important because it affects more players?

In some ways I could see making the case that "The connection sucks and I couldn't react to anything" as an upgraded version of "you were just using cheap moves I didn't know how to get around." Which isn't to say I've never had that problem or called it out, just saying that as someone who's said it myself a few times, it's usually been when I was pissed about the result of a match with someone I was pretty sure I could beat.
It’s mainly about the mechanics of the game. If the connection is such that you can’t use the mechanics of the game as they were intended to be used, then it’s a valid excuse.

But I also find that some people are way oversensitive to the small variables of online gaming, when they could just adjust a bit and play perfectly fine (like most of the top players who are playing in online tournaments almost weekly now are doing).

It’s a balance.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
One of the first lessons you learn when you start taking fighting games seriously is... do whatever it takes to win.

You learn that REAL fast when you do nothing but spam fans in MK9.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
They complain about stomp cuz this move is cheap , even monkey can press down up on controller . In v2 or v3 sheeva idc about it you can just walk or dash or whatever and avoid t . But try v1 , she can aim and delay it + she have that ground stomp unblockable and startup looks the same . It takes zero skill to do this , but takses a lot of effort to beat it . After downloading her i went for 5 min in practice , learned her specialls and went online to win matches by just doing stomp ground unblocckable , her mb projectile and throw mixed with sweep and this overhead kick which gives you KB when it counters low . Playing v1 sheeva its all you need tbh . Ofc there are ways to avoid it using some moves and stuff but nor all characters have that . I main cetrion and highborn kitana and almost dont get hatemail at all so think about it . v1 sheeva is just too easy to use , too good and too hard to fight against . and it masks player being shit at playing this game . PPl dont sent me hatemail bc they know you cant go to practice for 5 min with cetrion or kitana and be good to go online and win matches . With sheeva v1 you can do this. Once in KL ive played some guys and he was shit . Beat his main easly . He switched to v1 sheeva and took one game off me. I had to work twice as hard to beat him . So yeah i understand it , fuck v1 sheeva scrub variation .

asddgd

Noob
They complain about stomp cuz this move is cheap , even monkey can press down up on controller . In v2 or v3 sheeva idc about it you can just walk or dash or whatever and avoid t . But try v1 , she can aim and delay it + she have that ground stomp unblockable and startup looks the same . It takes zero skill to do this , but takses a lot of effort to beat it . After downloading her i went for 5 min in practice , learned her specialls and went online to win matches by just doing stomp ground unblocckable , her mb projectile and throw mixed with sweep and this overhead kick which gives you KB when it counters low . Playing v1 sheeva its all you need tbh . Ofc there are ways to avoid it using some moves and stuff but nor all characters have that . I main cetrion and highborn kitana and almost dont get hatemail at all so think about it . v1 sheeva is just too easy to use , too good and too hard to fight against . and it masks player being shit at playing this game . PPl dont sent me hatemail bc they know you cant go to practice for 5 min with cetrion or kitana and be good to go online and win matches . With sheeva v1 you can do this. Once in KL ive played some guys and he was shit . Beat his main easly . He switched to v1 sheeva and took one game off me. I had to work twice as hard to beat him . So yeah i understand it , fuck v1 sheeva scrub variation .
Most of the cast can walk back or forward. Aimed stomp is finicky and will miss if theyre not continuously moving