What's new

What kind of changes to the meta would you like to see brought to MK11 down the road?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
One fatal blow attempt/cancel per round; if it whiffs or is blocked, you can't use it again until the next round.

Fatal blow pushback is massively reduced.

You cannot breakaway after being struck by a KB. This is the change I want the most and, based on most complains I've read about the game, would singlehandedly solve most of its problems.
Any character that depends on getting frequent KB's then automatically jumps in overall strength unless compensations are made. Are you really saying people want to just let Scorpion grab you with a KB and get to do a double kb combo with no chance of breaking? I'm not sure I believe this one.

Mr.Khen

I am you
I don't want them to significantly alter the game. You have a vocal group that just wants to hate the game and some that like it. Are you going to make everyone happy? How? Does that ever work. Way more likely to just mess it up and turn it into something nobody likes, and I'm in the camp of liking the game and don't want to see it mutate into something I no longer like.

That said, I'm not going to cry about FB adjustments of some kind, or small changes. Usually companies do a decent job of not messing the games up, so I'm willing to be optimistic. I'm not insiteful enough to make suggestions, so I'll just do the wait and see.

There is always the risk of going to far if you drag stuff out too long. I think KI players thought things got questionable in S3, and I watched like two podcasts last weekend where high level Tekken players were strongly questioning what S3 is turning the game into. I don't think NRS would do more than one life extension on the game if we get one at all, so I'm not going to be too concerned about that.
I somewhat agree, although judging by the treatment MKX got by the end of the cycle I think NRS found a great place in the middle and everyone were somewhat content with the final product. I am hoping MK11 due to the longer life span we were promised will get the benefit to go through some upgrades to the meta while the game is still alive and kicking.

One fatal blow attempt/cancel per round; if it whiffs or is blocked, you can't use it again until the next round.

You cannot breakaway after being struck by a KB. This is the change I want the most and, based on most complains I've read about the game, would singlehandedly solve most of its problems.
Any character that depends on getting frequent KB's then automatically jumps in overall strength unless compensations are made. Are you really saying people want to just let Scorpion grab you with a KB and get to do a double kb combo with no chance of breaking? I'm not sure I believe this one.
Ugh! I'm torn. It's very annoying to when your opponent breakaway from a KB. On the other hand multiple KB combos needs a different rule, perhaps if you can't breakaway from the first one, you can breakaway from the second one assuming the animation allows it... yeah that definitely requires more looking into.

I miss the Klassic Combo Breakers.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
You should be able to breakaway whenever you have 2 def bars.
If you happen to get hit by a KB, like a d2 KB, Jade's forward throw, Erron's 21212 kounter hit, etc., I believe you should lose the ability to breakaway whatever comes after.

Consequences:
-dents the strike/throw meta by making throws even riskier
-matches would be overall faster
-wake ups and cancels (Mean Streak, Sindel, etc.) would more often be available

It would greatly benefit characters like Shao, Jade, Kotal, and Scorpion too, whose KBs often serve as combo starters themselves. Compare to other characters such a Geras whose KBs are unbreakable kounter hit strings. Or Noob, whose tackle KB occurs at the end of a combo.

I like the idea of not being able to breakaway from KB combos.

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
You should be able to breakaway whenever you have 2 def bars.
If you happen to get hit by a KB, like a d2 KB, Jade's forward throw, Erron's 21212 kounter hit, etc., I believe you should lose the ability to breakaway whatever comes after.

Consequences:
-dents the strike/throw meta by making throws even riskier
-matches would be overall faster
-wake ups and cancels (Mean Streak, Sindel, etc.) would more often be available

It would greatly benefit characters like Shao, Jade, Kotal, and Scorpion too, whose KBs often serve as combo starters themselves. Compare to other characters such a Geras whose KBs are unbreakable kounter hit strings. Or Noob, whose tackle KB occurs at the end of a combo.
If people aren't already discouraged enough to throw by the fact that they could get ducked into full combos, then not being able to slip out of the KB combo path isn't going to change much of anyone's mind. It also removes any need to be aware of their meter. Maybe I know they have two bars and will break it, and I'm totally ok with it because I'll just burn my FB, get the damage and drain their meter. It removes active thought and counter play from a situation. That's unlikely to be something you can say about a positive change.

I don't know that it would sway match length by much, and don't see why they need to be shorter if it did.

I do think there would be more meter to spend, but is meter starvation something people actually are complaining about? Sure seems like both players generally have meter to do something at almost all times, and if they don't then that's kind of the point in having meter to begin with. You simply aren't supposed to have infinite juice. You should have to manage something and be responsible with some resource. This game barely even makes you do that.

I'm not convinced it's a positive. Then again, I'm trash and lose to every rando, so I probably can't be trusted.

Last edited:

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
three main changes
  1. Fatal blow is available at the start of the match with 3 attempts then it’s gone (there is still a cool down)
  2. Either custom variations or an additional variation that reuses some moves (example Skarlet getting her Parry again or Kitana getting razors again)
  3. Breakaway changed to combo breaker and costs 2 defensive stamina still but can only be used 1 time

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
It is kinda funny when Steve said that they wanted to get rid of the 50/50% and then you have throws that have priority over all normals and they require one of two buttons (that’s still 50/50 lol) to break the throw and if you guess wrong (hello, 50/50s) YOU EAT 30+% of damage!
Breakaway must go. Roll mustn’t be timing specific:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Good point, I have no idea. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do know they need to have a bigger downside for YOLOing it than they currently do.
I've said this just about every time this comes up, but I think it's worth repeating: using Fatal Blow should delete all of both your meters for the rest of the round (such as how Last Breath deletes your defensive meter). If your Fatal Blow is blocked or whiffs, you still can use it again after 10 seconds; but you are utterly fucked for resources because you tried to YOLO toss it out. If it connects and you dont kill them with it, you've got a lot of work to do to close the round with no resources.

If this is too drastic a cost, then have it delete just all your offensive meter. Players should have to actually think when it comes to FB usage just as they had to for X-Rays in 9/X. In 11, FBs dont compete with any other resource so tossing them out as an afterthought is common. That's a clear indication of poor design for a comeback mechanic as they SHOULD be designed around calculated desperation in a tight spot. As they are, they're just a threshold that says "Oh hey, you now have access to basically free and unbreakable 30%+ damage. Enjoy!"

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
View attachment 16714

Could you imagine fighting Frost/Erron with this as the default? Fighting KABAL?!

You buggin', sis.
Side bar love the photo

the tea is that having the fatal blows come at critical health to me makes it way too much of a comeback factor which I don’t like in conjunction with a lot of factors that plays on the defensive already have

having fatal blow from the very beginning and only 1 shot at it (or any limitation really) would allow players who are winning to be able to use it and so could those on the defensive that way

I prefer the idea of one fatal blow attempt per round. I think this game will look a lot better when we can call out a fatal blow and not have to worry about it again in 10 seconds.

Sure, one could argue that we should be able to kill our sub 30% opponent in 10 seconds, especially for punishing a fatal blow, but it's not always that simple.

Last edited:

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Add more FB gaps to DLC characters. They barely have any even on their strogest tools.
Also, lets make throws not eat pokes, at least d3's and d4's.

Last edited:
Breakaway to only have 1 hit of armor. That would help prevent getting punished when your opponent breakaways (in some cases). Also, it would make breakaway baits an actual thing rather than having to go for lame D2s. Do you know how hype it would be to read a breakaway and go for a quick double jab to break the armor and then continue your combo?

Mr.Khen

I am you
Great, so to sum it up so far! it seems the majority of the community which have responded are unhappy with the current FB, KB, Downpokes and Breakaway.. That doesn't sound like a lot to ask to adjust from NRS and I hope they will tune in and fix em' mechanics ! I'd love to hear more of your opinions and love how we are keeping this civil and funny! good times.

I personally would love to be able to connect grabs as combo enders again - not so much for damage value but more as for the love of the visual satisfaction and I just love how a combo ends with a grab and if you time to the last life line of the match you get an awesome brutality.
All in all some requirements for brutalities are demanding you to play a lil stupid for one round out of 2 (i.e Johnny Cage)..

Last edited:
I align with most of the feedback so far, but here's my two cents...
  • FB - currently a lackluster comeback mechanic that just does flat damage covered up by flashy (but tired) animations.
    I wish they were more personalized to a character or had varied mechanics.
    E.g. give the player three choices, Skarlet for example;
    1. Keep FB as is.
    2. Reduce damage output in return for a personalized buff. ("Vampiric" Skarlet's blood attacks heal her for a very small % for 10 seconds)
    3. Reduce damage output in return for a personalized debuff. ("Hematoma" opponents meter regenerate 20% slower for 10 seconds)
I feel this would be easy-ish to implement because it's all just background numbers and has little to do with visuals. (although cool little buff/debuff auras would be neat). It would add extra levels to gameplay and give the players more of a sense of variety/customization.​

• Revitalize underused tech e.g.
    • hops: make them the answer against the dreaded poke/throw minigame.
    • Flawless block. Remove up+2/3 follow up and just give advantage. Make more akin to a parry. beef up visual/audio for cool impact.
  • Breakaway: i would much prefer a plain old kombo breaker similar to mkx.