What's new

Question - Tempest What is your Mindset/gameplan when you play tempest Lao?

Nate

Mutant Rebel
I know that might seem like a horribly vague and stupid question but hear me out...

I main Grandmaster sub, and when I play him, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm after. I know my down 4 is really good, so I want to hit it and run for pressure, It's absolutely KEY to hit confirm to know whether or not to iceball or clone, and I know utilizing the slide to get under projectiles and for mobility is key.

I do well with him keeping those things in mind, and everything else is sort of situational. I do ok with other characters to but I think what I struggle with the most is actually getting into the right mindset with a character I'm learning. What I mean is, I can do enough combo's that i should be able to see some decent success online, but really what happens for a good while usually, is I come up against situations I've been in hundreds of times with other characters, but all of a sudden I'm freaking out as if I don't have a clue what to do, and things get out of hand pretty quickly.

So I'd like to ask some of you experienced Kung Lao players, or anybody that see's quite a bit of success, what is it you really keep in mind, when you play him, and even better, what were the first things you needed to focus on when you were just really getting into the character. I think if I can identify some key things to focus on DURING an actual match, I can level up with him much faster. Thanks very much for any help offered!

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
First. Spacing.

Your F2 / B321 / B2 can all cover a great amount of distance in a good amount of time. Most characters can't do this as safely as lao can, and all can be cancelled into hat spin which is -3 and can hit confirm into 30%. It's really good. Just work your spacing and 90% is whiff punishing or pushing in with F2,3 xx hat spin or B2 xx hat spin.

For me if I'm up close I'm trying to pull the 112124 into ex hat. If they're smart and hold block keep it going, most people will cave and try to press a button, they'll get hit and you hit confirm the next 11212 into spin and combo your hat wearing heart out.

Your Ex-spin has an impressive range and you will laugh at any jump in attempt when you're on the ground. Some people make it too easy really. I'd practice your combos off of an ex-spin as it is insanely good at punishing jump ins, any string with a gap or just a plain read. You have pretty much the fastest move in the game.

Those are the things I've been focusing on primarily, there are much MUCH better lao players here but I thought I'd give an idea of what I do.

Nate

Mutant Rebel
First. Spacing.

Your F2 / B321 / B2 can all cover a great amount of distance in a good amount of time. Most characters can't do this as safely as lao can, and all can be cancelled into hat spin which is -3 and can hit confirm into 30%. It's really good. Just work your spacing and 90% is whiff punishing or pushing in with F2,3 xx hat spin or B2 xx hat spin.

For me if I'm up close I'm trying to pull the 112124 into ex hat. If they're smart and hold block keep it going, most people will cave and try to press a button, they'll get hit and you hit confirm the next 11212 into spin and combo your hat wearing heart out.

Your Ex-spin has an impressive range and you will laugh at any jump in attempt when you're on the ground. Some people make it too easy really. I'd practice your combos off of an ex-spin as it is insanely good at punishing jump ins, any string with a gap or just a plain read. You have pretty much the fastest move in the game.

Those are the things I've been focusing on primarily, there are much MUCH better lao players here but I thought I'd give an idea of what I do.
That looks like a great place to start, thanks man.

NapalmCL

That looks like a great place to start, thanks man.
No problem, some of the better combos to learn the spacing are:

F23 xx hat spin, F23 xx Spin, Jik-DK, 21 = 28%(around there?)

This is your fastest advancing whiff punish and the hat spin is only -3 on block so it's pretty much safe. The 21 will knock them down long enough to throw out another hat spin and run in/teleport on them for pressure. I use F4 or 11 if I know they'll wake up and 44 if they are going to block. 44 is +2 on block so if they do you can continue to poke/pressure.

B321 xx hat spin, B321 xx ex spin, Njp, Jik-DK, 21 = 39%(ish? Sorry I don't have the exact numbers for this right now)

This is my "shitty canadian internet" online combo if I have a bar and want to extend the combo guaranteed. You can do this meterless by run cancelling the hat spin into B32 xx spin or stepping forward once and doing F21 xx spin but I find it hard to hit online and hate dropping my 21 ender because the followup pressure is something I like to keep momentum.

44, Run, B321 Spin, Jk-Dk, 21 = 36%

This should be your go to string if you're following up 21 and want to hit them with the 44. It keeps your momentum and does amazing damage for something meterless.

You should also practice hitting the hat spin into 44 offline, its pretty tight and I can't do it consistently online but it'll make you scary damaging in the long run if you get good at it.

coolwhip

Noob
Don't whiff punish with f23 in tempest. Punish with f2~hat spin. 44 doesn't work after f23~hat spin, so you're giving up a butt-ton of damage, unless you can't get 44 to connect after hat spin. But I'd say it's worth practicing. If you're going to play tempest Lao, you need to get it down otherwise you're missing out on his damage, which is a big part of what makes him so good.

NapalmCL

Don't whiff punish with f23 in tempest. Punish with f2~hat spin. 44 doesn't work after f23~hat spin, so you're giving up a butt-ton of damage, unless you can't get 44 to connect after hat spin. But I'd say it's worth practicing. If you're going to play tempest Lao, you need to get it down otherwise you're missing out on his damage, which is a big part of what makes him so good.
That's a good point. I've nailed it pretty much offline but I only get it 2/10 times online (shit Canadian internet. Yay.) So sometimes I don't take the risk on it. It's something that should be practiced to the letter though.

coolwhip

Noob
That's a good point. I've nailed it pretty much offline but I only get it 2/10 times online (shit Canadian internet. Yay.) So sometimes I don't take the risk on it. It's something that should be practiced to the letter though.
Yeah, a lot of people have "online only combos" and it makes sense. Some combos you just don't want to go for online, but I'm talking about optimal conditions (ie offline). By the way, f2~ex spin can also be just thrown out even if you're not trying to whiff punish. It's a fast hitting mid (11 frame) with insane range and it gets you somewhere in the higher 30's as far as damage goes. If it's blocked, you're only at -3.

NapalmCL

Yeah, a lot of people have "online only combos" and it makes sense. Some combos you just don't want to go for online, but I'm talking about optimal conditions (ie offline). By the way, f2~ex spin can also be just thrown out even if you're not trying to whiff punish. It's a fast hitting mid (11 frame) with insane range and it gets you somewhere in the higher 30's as far as damage goes. If it's blocked, you're only at -3.
I feel like I get my ex-spins punished way more than my hat spins which should be -3 as well right? Is that because the hat turns into a projectile so you have a buffer of some frames or am I crazy?

coolwhip

Noob
I feel like I get my ex-spins punished way more than my hat spins which should be -3 as well right? Is that because the hat turns into a projectile so you have a buffer of some frames or am I crazy?
ex spin is punishable. I can't remember the frame data on a blocked ex spin off hand but it's super punishable. Hat spin is -3 so it's not punishable by any move in the game. If you're getting "punished' after hat spin it probably means you were just pressing buttons and got caught not blocking.