What's new

What is the General Strategy when using Freddy?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I vowed to myself I would try to learn Freddy Krueger after the patch and now that it's came I have picked him up and leaned some stuff with him and he issue really fun. I could just use some general strategy tips with him and I didn't see a thread for it so I decided to post about it.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Freddy is OP...simply put. he's so broke in a BS way :S....and he will get band in tournaments! if not, then he should

Zoning Game: Better than Noob Saibot, with a Far away okizeme. Also builds meter like CRAZY and completely safe due to teleport.

Offensive: TOO MUCH! a lot of guessing and mix ups with VERY fast normals and frame traps combos. so not just guesisng of low or med...But frame traps too! also you can double pressure guess with either b+3~ stance or b+2 stance ....too much

Defense: too good as well! escapes easily with EX teleport. Also EX sweetdreams cannot be canceled on hit! it's so Good to use it defensivley
Corner: TOO MUCH! 1 meter for a basic of 45% ....too much

Okizeme were he excels...too much pressure

AA: not bad at all!

he's simply amazing in every situation

i am releasing an act 2 soon along with kenshi...u will see some BS stuff from krugur that's for sure :S

Dark_Rob

Noob
Freddy is OP...simply put. he's so broke in a BS way :S....and he will get band in tournaments! if not, then he should

Zoning Game: Better than Noob Saibot, with a Far away okizeme. Also builds meter like CRAZY and completely safe due to teleport.

Offensive: TOO MUCH! a lot of guessing and mix ups with VERY fast normals and frame traps combos. so not just guesisng of low or med...But frame traps too! also you can double pressure guess with either b+3~ stance or b+2 stance ....too much

Defense: too good as well! escapes easily with EX teleport. Also EX sweetdreams cannot be canceled on hit! it's so Good to use it defensivley

Okizeme were he excels...too much pressure

AA: not bad at all!

he's simply amazing in every situation

i am releasing an act 2 soon along with kenshi...u will see some BS stuff from krugur that's for sure :S
We have to see Freddy dominate at a tournament before we can talk about banning him at them. Given the amount of total killers that will be at Seasons beatings if M2Dave can run through everyone with Freddy and totally dominate the tournament then we might have grounds to think about it. Even then one tournament is usually not enough to tell because it can be hard to distinguish between what could be OP and how much of it would be just Dave being really good.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
We have to see Freddy dominate at a tournament before we can talk about banning him at them. Given the amount of total killers that will be at Seasons beatings if M2Dave can run through everyone with Freddy and totally dominate the tournament then we might have grounds to think about it. Even then one tournament is usually not enough to tell because it can be hard to distinguish between what could be OP and how much of it would be just Dave being really good.
Diffenatly. how you doing by the way Rob?

alright, from my side, i would say that this character is REALLY too much. THough, some other characters are in the good hands. you dont imagine how REWARDING krugur is. I've been on a different account playin this character, and at points, it felt too easy! not only online, but offline as well on daily bases with either my local friends, brother, or on weekend with the gang.

Freddy really got every tool in the game! it's all matter or seeing somebody who's really good with him to start Dominating in tournaments with such character. My frustration is that, if everyone was crying about how Reptile is very rewarding, or that Cyrax reset are too much...Krugur in such case will be chaotic to people when they start realizing how good he's. Lets see wut will M2dave do! though, from my experience, he might not show krugurs full capabilities...hope he does though

but again, sure...your actually right. I just dont want the Bandwagon to go in his favor , and then all of a sudden , he's the new OLD kung lao....cause it will be realy lame! such rewarding character.

take care and be seeing you with NYC crew in seasons beatings :)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Check out this thread for fundamental Freddy strategies. The post is based on pre-patch Freddy, but 90% of everything in the post is still applicable to patched Freddy.

I just got home from Console Combat, and I am kind of tired. I will address Teef's post tomorrow. Do know that Freddy is most definitely not overpowered. The vast majority of players knows nothing about the character, which results in a lot of misconceptions. You have to know when you can dash and jump against Freddy. Once you do, you can take advantage of his poor defense and his gigantic crouching hitbox.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Check out this thread for fundamental Freddy strategies. The post is based on pre-patch Freddy, but 90% of everything in the post is still applicable to patched Freddy.

I just got home from Console Combat, and I am kind of tired. I will address Teef's post tomorrow. Do know that Freddy is most definitely not overpowered. The vast majority of players knows nothing about the character, which results in a lot of misconceptions. You have to know when you can dash and jump against Freddy. Once you do, you can take advantage of his poor defense and his gigantic crouching hitbox.
I really REALLY hope so....i felt the same, that people are not aware of it.
Though! Playing against good players, even after several matches and adapting...Krugur can be fatal STILL
his only problem are characters that zone in/out like him, OR teleports...it just changes krugur style. But again, i really think krugur defense is GREAT! compared to someone like kenshi for instant, Krugur does have many tools to escape! ....krugur also Does have Good close AA . the Hitbox, i noticed that...though, his cr+1 is really decent indeed!always cr+1~ close claw on cross ups

think about it that way, Krugur can gamble like Mil, and even safer with his mix up. he can pressure, escape, and zone...very rewarding character in my opinion. Jax and rain! two characters that since forever, i kept on saying they are REALLY good! nobody believed that shit, and look wut CDjr did.
Quanchi being fatal with him meter, and that Quanchi can be anti reptile...instead people mocked about such a fact.

so ya, for now, i would give Freddy a hands down form the top 10 in my opinion...lets see what else and where will he push it :)

PS; how was the console combat?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

Thanks a lot man!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
xxteefxx said:
While Freddy is probably the best overall zoning character in the game, zoning effectiveness is match up dependent. For example, Kitana zones Kung Lao better than Freddy does because aerial fans shut down Kung Lao's superb aerial moblity. On the other hand, Freddy zones Kabal better than Kitana does because ground spikes always crouch under aerial gas blasts regardless how low to the ground they are done.

xxteefxx said:
Offensive: TOO MUCH! a lot of guessing and mix ups with VERY fast normals and frame traps combos. so not just guesisng of low or med...But frame traps too! also you can double pressure guess with either b+3~ stance or b+2 stance ....too much.
First of all, Freddy's NMS is nothing like Sonya's MS. Any canceled string into NMS + 1, 2, or 3 is always interruptable on block. Second of all, Freddy has no frame traps aside from projectile frame traps. Freddy's best offensive tools are his 50/50 mix ups and f+4,2,1, which is a hit confirmable string. As far as 50/50 mix ups go, b+2 is the safe overhead while b+3 is the safe low attack. You can cancel straight into close ground spike for a juggle after either attack, but the close ground spike is not safe on block in the patched version of the game. Its recovery is similar to Kung Lao's new low hat recovery. EX ground spike is safe, though.

xxteefxx said:
Regular and EX teleport have more recovery frames in the patched version of the game. They are very easy to punish if you see them coming. EX sweet dreams is Freddy's best defensive tool but is useless against characters who have forward advancing strings as the projectile only tracks for a handful of frames. Furthermore, Freddy is tied with Kenshi for having the largest crouching hitbox in the game. Every high jab in the game hits this man while he is crouch blocking. Also, Freddy has no low attack that lowers his hitbox. That is why Johnny Cage is surprisingly a difficult match up for Freddy. Every single one of Cage's pokes hit him, and once he gets close, you will be blocking until the cows come home.

xxteefxx said:
Okizeme were he excels...too much pressure.
Yes, I agree. Freddy is good at projectile traps and okizeme, which is what makes him a good character in the first place.

xxteefxx said:
AA not bad at all!
Slightly above average mostly because of AA ground spikes and 7F d+2. In all honestly, he cannot control the air very well. That is why he still loses to Kung Lao.

xxteefxx said:
PS; how was the console combat?
Unfortunately, it was "MvC3 day". MK was run as a small side tournament. We did a quick round robin tournament. The results were the following.

1. FOREVER_KING (Kung Lao, Raiden). No losses.
2. Master D. (Kabal). 1 loss.
3. m2dave (Freddy). 2 losses.

We were watching Devastation on the big screen, and Perfect Legend was in attendence but only participated in the MvC3 tournament. I am trying to set up a 5 on 5 Ohio vs. NYC battle at this year's Season Beatings, and PL said he would gladly join Ohio's team.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Error said:
What are his best strings?
- f+4,2,1 is the best string. Around 12-13F in start up and hit-confirmable. Very few people know, but f+4,2,1 is actually -6 on block, so Kung Lao (spin) and Reptile (elbow dash) get a significant punish. However, you can cancel into NMS to avoid Kung Lao's spin. You cannot do the same against Reptile's elbow dash. You have to keep the Reptile player guessing by finishing the string with close ground spike, back, or front teleport. Everything is still punishable if the Reptile player reads your next move.

- 2,2,1+2 is also good. The last hit is a safe overhead. Replace the overhead with Freddy fingers (d,b+2) for a difficult-to-fuzzy-guard 50/50 mix up. Freddy fingers is safe on block, even point blank.

- Of course, you should already know about b+2 (overhead) and b+3 (low attack).

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
yo yo!
how you doin dave?

alright...Again, for the third clash/argument lol.....Taking a deep breath. I luv you :)...okay, your a nice guy as well. THOUGH, i will prove you wrong for the third time AGAIN!

you have to know Dave, why would i say something i am not sure off by now? wuts the purpose? a career of FIGHTING game hobby since i was 14.. Now i am 27, and my Career in REAL life is Game development...soon enough (graduating this year), will help in illustrating and designing fighting games (WISH ME LUCK!! lol really)

but anyways...i am not sayin that to show off. I am saying that because , as i told you, your stubborn and rush a LOT! you have to calm lol.
again, through out the boards, not my first time to say, show, and give feed back of something inaccurate. not only in MK9, but since TTT through out any boards and many other fighting games.

so i guess, it's not that i am putting wrong information, or that Your answers is the ONLY right information....but, maybe you just didnt know bout wut i was talking about :)....right?
I will tell u this , Please wait for the coming vid! it MIGHT change your mind.... sounds fair? ^_^. thats my backup lol

]While Freddy is probably the best overall zoning character in the game, zoning effectiveness is match up dependent. For example, Kitana zones Kung Lao better than Freddy does because aerial fans shut down Kung Lao's superb aerial moblity. On the other hand, Freddy zones Kabal better than Kitana does because ground spikes always crouch under aerial gas blasts regardless how low to the ground they are done.

Very correct. still that doesnt Make Krugur less of a Zone master. against certain characters, and no teleporters characters, Krugur's zoning out is AMAZING....please tell me am wrong :p?
remember how u annoyed my kenshi when we play though laggy games?
add to that, the vast range of Escapes, Zone in, Oki, and Meter gaining/managment

right :D?

First of all, Freddy's NMS is nothing like Sonya's MS. Any canceled string into NMS + 1, 2, or 3 is always interruptable on block. Second of all, Freddy has no frame traps aside from projectile frame traps. Freddy's best offensive tools are his 50/50 mix ups and f+4,2,1, which is a hit confirmable string. As far as 50/50 mix ups go, b+2 is the safe overhead while b+3 is the safe low attack. You can cancel straight into close ground spike for a juggle after either attack, but the close ground spike is not safe on block in the patched version of the game. Its recovery is similar to Kung Lao's new low hat recovery. EX ground spike is safe, though.

who said it's like SOnya's NMS? though, have u ever tried b+3~ NMS :)? try it out and you will see that on block or hit, IT"S SIMPLY un stopabble with any normals....only way is like a special move/ or armor move or X ray.
not only that, b+3 is not the only option .
also, yes it's interruptable on other strings...that doesnt mean it's not a Game guess and frame traps. it's a great tool for whether to bait move by NMS into teleport, or even going offensive with NMS normals, or even Claws bait....it's a good tool, you cannot say it's not. this makes freddy good for NMS frame traps
Also: FYI: lets say f+2,1~MS,3 . the 3 will put krugur in a very Low hitbox that it can EVEN escapes fireballs.... are u aware of this?

also, i never mention that claw is safe on block post patch ><

you also said man "f+4,2,1 is the best string. Around 12-13F in start up and hit-confirmable. Very few people know, but f+4,2,1 is actually -6 on block, so Kung Lao (spin) and Reptile (elbow dash) get a significant punish. However, you can cancel into NMS to avoid Kung Lao's spin. You cannot do the same against Reptile's elbow dash. You have to keep the Reptile player guessing by finishing the string with close ground spike, back, or front teleport. Everything is still punishable if the Reptile player reads your next move."

hmmm...doesnt that prove that strings to NMS is good ? :) you wrote it yourself...THIS , itself is an amazing frame trap and move baiter.

Second of all, Freddy has no frame traps aside from projectile frame traps. Freddy's best offensive tools are his 50/50 mix ups and f+4,2,1, which is a hit confirmable string

:D.... i think you will like the video, krugur Act.2. cause i think that again, ur not aware of wut krugur got in such case.

Regular and EX teleport have more recovery frames in the patched version of the game. They are very easy to punish if you see them coming. EX sweet dreams is Freddy's best defensive tool but is useless against characters who have forward advancing strings as the projectile only tracks for a handful of frames. Furthermore, Freddy is tied with Kenshi for having the largest crouching hitbox in the game. Every high jab in the game hits this man while he is crouch blocking. Also, Freddy has no low attack that lowers his hitbox. That is why Johnny Cage is surprisingly a difficult match up for Freddy. Every single one of Cage's pokes hit him, and once he gets close, you will be blocking until the cows come home.

Again, be patient, hopefully this weekend i will try to edit and post the vid . EX sweet dreams is TOO MUCH!! as simple as that! only way that opponent will advance on defensive block strings or in general defense, is by EX move due to armor! beside that...EX sweet dreams is Simply put, one of krugurs best move along with EX claw for combos.
as for the teleports....i am kinda lost....u meant on recovery when it's done? who cares...when used to escape, i will be far from opponent...wut do opponent have that can punish after evading? from wut i know, i can block stuff as fast as 7 and 6 frames after (example Cage EX kick and Elbow dash)

as for AA. yup. dont forget i come from Kenshi and reptile...so i am used to limited close AA

and great stuff for the console combat man!! please...dont take this the wrong way like the last two times!! PLEASE!! ...beg you!!
<3 ...there u go, luv luv!
and be patient for the vid. i prmised you some interesting stuff, means it will be there for sure :)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
xxteefxx said:
Again, be patient, hopefully this weekend i will try to edit and post the vid . EX sweet dreams is TOO MUCH!! as simple as that! only way that opponent will advance on defensive block strings or in general defense, is by EX move due to armor! beside that...EX sweet dreams is Simply put, one of krugurs best move along with EX claw for combos.
EX sweet dreams is not worth the super meter unless you use it for defensive purproses. I have to see what you come up with, though.

xxteefxx said:
as for the teleports....i am kinda lost....u meant on recovery when it's done? who cares...when used to escape, i will be far from opponent...wut do opponent have that can punish after evading? from wut i know, i can block stuff as fast as 7 and 6 frames after (example Cage EX kick and Elbow dash)
Definitely not. At least not off-line. Teleport has received more recovery frames. If your opponent reacts to the teleport, something as fast as Reptile's elbow dash and Johnny Cage's shadow kick cannot be blocked. Even Sub Zero's slide, which is slower than the aforementioned two special moves, cannot be blocked.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Definitely not. At least not off-line. Teleport has received more recovery frames. If your opponent reacts to the teleport, something as fast as Reptile's elbow dash and Johnny Cage's shadow kick cannot be blocked. Even Sub Zero's slide, which is slower than the aforementioned two special moves, cannot be blocked.
hmmm... interesting, even as wake up?i should try this out. Krugur is my 4th or even 5th. i know he's not my best, but i should've known something like that.
will hit the lab and tell u bout the results later today.
THOUGH, you will like the Teleport okizeme i have in this vid...cause it's a great tool for escaping wake up moves as well as change side (reverse wake up move must be inputted).

ohh will. by the way, let me give you a quick transcript on a PM. also if you have anything else to share beside wut u showed me the other day for the vid, then go ahead. again, u will for sure be credited hands down. (unless if u dont want to share the secrets) lol

I'd just like to add one quick thing while I was messing around with Freddy, I dunno if this has been said yet, but:

Since NMS goes under alot of high projectiles (or maybe all, haven't tested this out yet), this enables you to get back on top of projectile wars/zoner characters. I was playing a Kano last night, and if you get stuck blocking the knife first there's no way to block or duck and then throw a claw before he has another knife out to hit you.

So the solution? NMS to duck under the knife, then immediately as it passes over you you can throw a claw. Due to the fact that you never enter block-stun and can throw a claw directly out of NMS you can always throw the claw and then block/react before his second knife reaches you.

This is VERY helpful against sub zero. If you block a freeze and then try throw a claw... if he throws a second freeze immediately, depending on where you are on the screen you will end up trading with him, not what you want to do.

So for Sub-Zero as well, always NMS under his freezes and then throw a claw.... depending on the distance, he won't be able to do anything but jump/duck it or try to hit you with an EX slide.... which 99% of the time is a huge waste of meter for sub zero

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
I'd just like to add one quick thing while I was messing around with Freddy, I dunno if this has been said yet, but:

Since NMS goes under alot of high projectiles (or maybe all, haven't tested this out yet), this enables you to get back on top of projectile wars/zoner characters. I was playing a Kano last night, and if you get stuck blocking the knife first there's no way to block or duck and then throw a claw before he has another knife out to hit you.

So the solution? NMS to duck under the knife, then immediately as it passes over you you can throw a claw. Due to the fact that you never enter block-stun and can throw a claw directly out of NMS you can always throw the claw and then block/react before his second knife reaches you.

This is VERY helpful against sub zero. If you block a freeze and then try throw a claw... if he throws a second freeze immediately, depending on where you are on the screen you will end up trading with him, not what you want to do.

So for Sub-Zero as well, always NMS under his freezes and then throw a claw.... depending on the distance, he won't be able to do anything but jump/duck it or try to hit you with an EX slide.... which 99% of the time is a huge waste of meter for sub zero
I'm going to try this out today, sounds really helpful, thanks :D

I want to say watch that combo video that was just released because seeing a freddy like that would be amazing. However to be successful just stand full screen and spam the projectile claw, if they jump do groundclaw all the way back to fullscreen and continue spamming claw. If they get halfway close and jump, freddy has an amazing uppercut do that and back up and continue spamming claw.