What's new

What is canceladvantage?

Hi people, I am breaking my brains over this; is the +24 for example standing for the amount of frames of the combo (like scorpions 1 1 1) or is it something different? Has it something to do with your opponents recovery or do i miss something? My english isnt great but, I do know what Somberness wrote, I just dont understand it :(

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Hi people, I am breaking my brains over this; is the +24 for example standing for the amount of frames of the combo (like scorpions 1 1 1) or is it something different? Has it something to do with your opponents recovery or do i miss something? My english isnt great but, I do know what Somberness wrote, I just dont understand it :(
Example:

Cyrax D4 on block is 0.
Cyrax D4 canceled into net is +26, so you cant poke, or jump out. However, after the net hits you on block, its negative.
Cancel advantage is the advantage you get after you cancel a normal on block, or hit with a special.

Now think about characters who can cancel their moves such as Kabal, etc. You have to take into consideration the duration of the special you cancelled it with, and subtract until you get the right number of frames you are plus at, or negative at.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
I dont understand why Cage for example is able to d1 on block and then when my 13 frame move comes out it gets stuffed by his 9 frame f3?

So what's the advantage of doing D4 into Net if you're going to end up being negative and possibly get punished?

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I dont understand why Cage for example is able to d1 on block and then when my 13 frame move comes out it gets stuffed by his 9 frame f3?
The lower the frame number, the faster it is. Cage's 9 frame F3 will come out faster than your 13 frame move. In your example, you need to consider the advantage or disadvantage his D1 is. For example:

Cage hits with [insert move here] and is -2 on hit
You attack with a 12 frame move
Cage attacks with F3 which is 9 frames

Cage wins because since he's at -2, your 12 frame move effectively hits on the 10th frame (12-2) but his F3 hits on the 9th frame. His is faster, he wins.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Actually, just let go of block early... really early...

Honestly, its not easy. It takes great mental conditioning to counter it.

I usually beat Cage out of his F3 knee by guessing his next knee, and countering with my 9 frame jab. But the reason I can beat it, is because I let go of block significantly early. Letting go of block at the right time matters in this game a great deal.

[EDIT] Also. Consider P1 advantage in this case too... lol

Error

DF2+R2
So what's the advantage of doing D4 into Net if you're going to end up being negative and possibly get punished?
Some people don't expect it and let go of block. Also it was just an example for how cancel advantage works, could've been a reverse kick instead.

Example:

Cyrax D4 on block is 0.
Cyrax D4 canceled into net is +26, so you cant poke, or jump out. However, after the net hits you on block, its negative.
Cancel advantage is the advantagOooooe you get after you cancel a normal on block, or hit with a special.

Now think about characters who can cancel their moves such as Kabal, etc. You have to take into consideration the duration of the special you cancelled it with, and subtract until you get the right number of frames you are plus at, or negative at.
But if the special is blocked you get punished right? So the use of canceladvantage can be seen as taking a risk?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
But if the special is blocked you get punished right? So the use of canceladvantage can be seen as taking a risk?
It depends on the character and the special you are using.

Take Kabal for example. He can actually leave himself plus if he can cancel 2 into a dash cancel.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
The lower the frame number, the faster it is. Cage's 9 frame F3 will come out faster than your 13 frame move. In your example, you need to consider the advantage or disadvantage his D1 is. For example:

Cage hits with [insert move here] and is -2 on hit
You attack with a 12 frame move
Cage attacks with F3 which is 9 frames

Cage wins because since he's at -2, your 12 frame move effectively hits on the 10th frame (12-2) but his F3 hits on the 9th frame. His is faster, he wins.

Cage's d1 is -12 or -13...

I think Krayzie made me understand it better. I feel the same about d3's, Im supposed to be able to make my Kitana d1 it every single time, but even when I anticipate it the next movce however fast or slow still hits. I guess it has to do with the timing of letting go of block.

Cage's d1 is -12 or -13...

I think Krayzie made me understand it better. I feel the same about d3's, Im supposed to be able to make my Kitana d1 it every single time, but even when I anticipate it the next movce however fast or slow still hits. I guess it has to do with the timing of letting go of block.
Man, i have to understand a lot about frame.data. You happen to know an example of canceladvantage (with any chad) , and a calculation so that i can see how to calculate?

Example:

Cyrax D4 on block is 0.
Cancel advantage is the advantage you get after you cancel a normal on block, or hit with a special.

Do you have some examples (except Kabal) where you are at plus? So, if i d1 somebody on block or hit, is there a special that leaves me on plus even if blocked?