What's new

What Improvements You Want To See In Fighting Games In 2019?

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I'd be happy to just have a ggpo roll back & actual fixes to inputs in nrs games.

More options to have more diverse characters and different arc types that are more balanced, like zoners, grapplers, big bodies, ect.

A better system to indicate wifi goblins and bad connections online to not only show the signal strength but to actually refuse wifi and bad connections under a certain threshold.

No more regional locks!

More diverse set of customization of inputs in the main menu like a mk 3 layout or mkd layout or kof, layout or srk layout where you can choose how you want to execute your inputs and strings.

Legacy improvements that was built or successful in previous titles.

More crossover characters in other fighters like with Tekken 7 and FLEX.

More betas before majour patchesso developers can have the correct data and make the right changes to a character without breaking the core game mechanics.

More tutorials! More! More!! MORE!!! Many games coming out now are starting to realize that not having a really good tutorial can alienate new players or just not keep them over a span of time. It's fine to smash buttons but it's also fun to learn how to do the moves properly and in certain times which tutorials can help to teach new folks how to play fighters. Especially if you add a rank, goal, reward or prize to completing it again over and over thus the player learns while getting something out of it.

Better recording features in training modes.
Better reversal options and actual hitbox & hurtbox shaders to indicate when a move connects and wiff.
Also more detailed frame data and descriptions of moves, strings, specials and reversals in training modes.
Also have better ways to have character switchouts by not going back in forth to select screen.

More single player options and customizations for characters and stages with the ability for others to play against and on.

More lore!!! Everyone loves lore and dlc content.

I'm on lunch so that all I can think of right now.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I'd be happy to just have a ggpo roll back & actual fixes to inputs in nrs games.

More options to have more diverse characters and different arc types that are more balanced, like zoners, grapplers, big bodies, ect.

A better system to indicate wifi goblins and bad connections online to not only show the signal strength but to actually refuse wifi and bad connections under a certain threshold.

No more regional locks!

More diverse set of customization of inputs in the main menu like a mk 3 layout or mkd layout or kof, layout or srk layout where you can choose how you want to execute your inputs and strings.

Legacy improvements that was built or successful in previous titles.

More crossover characters in other fighters like with Tekken 7 and FLEX.

More betas before majour patchesso developers can have the correct data and make the right changes to a character without breaking the core game mechanics.

More tutorials! More! More!! MORE!!! Many games coming out now are starting to realize that not having a really good tutorial can alienate new players or just not keep them over a span of time. It's fine to smash buttons but it's also fun to learn how to do the moves properly and in certain times which tutorials can help to teach new folks how to play fighters. Especially if you add a rank, goal, reward or prize to completing it again over and over thus the player learns while getting something out of it.

Better recording features in training modes.
Better reversal options and actual hitbox & hurtbox shaders to indicate when a move connects and wiff.
Also more detailed frame data and descriptions of moves, strings, specials and reversals in training modes.
Also have better ways to have character switchouts by not going back in forth to select screen.

More single player options and customizations for characters and stages with the ability for others to play against and on.

More lore!!! Everyone loves lore and dlc content.

I'm on lunch so that all I can think of right now.
DAYUM! That was a lot lol. I love the idea of having more betas, but from my experience of playing betas of games....the online of the final version is actually WORST. How in the fuck that happens, i have no idea. But I experienced that in DBFZ and SC6. Im not too familiar with the terminology of netcodes but at this point, ANYTHING is better than delay based

gam224

The world's least hype player
I’m all for beta testing patches. The patch after the online beta in mkx was pretty good because the community had time to flesh it out first. I’d also like to see NRS create less “able” characters. Ryu and chun li can be easier balanced than Batman and Superman. That’s because they aren’t as able as the NRS characters. Superman has a trait which negates Armour which is a big part of this game’s meta. That would be like Ryu’s v trigger making him invulnerable to v reversal. Mechanical bats are kind of a fuck you to FG fundamentals because they can make everything safe including whiffed attacks which led to a Batman meta of internationally whiffing certain attacks so you can release bat and punish them anyways. I’ve just scratched the surface but if the two title characters have not only great mobility, offensive, and zoning then how are you going to balance the rest of the cast?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I would say this....if you're gonna make OP traits, then make EVERYBODY have something hella busted, then balance afterwards. With a whole cast of characters that busted as fuck, its actually more fun to play.

gam224

I would say this....if you're gonna make OP traits, then make EVERYBODY have something hella busted, then balance afterwards. With a whole cast of characters that busted as fuck, its actually more fun to play.
That’s how you end up with characters like grandmaster sub and atom who can wreck shop in some match ups and get bodied in others but I respect the opinion.

-More safe 50/50's into a rest
-Half screen mid hitting strings
-zoning characters, with rush down & cancel abilities
-Graplers with instant recovery allowing them for d2 & double armor special moves
-d3 lowering hurtbox being +1 on block

Im pretty sure I've missed some of those wonderful features. . .
can we talk about introducing 25/25/25/25 into mk11? although im ok with safe 50/50,s kek
i love how both of us have the exact same opinion regarding mkx ;D

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
That’s how you end up with characters like grandmaster sub and atom who can wreck shop in some match ups and get bodied in others but I respect the opinion.
Atom was good, but wasn't super great tho. Im talking about.....well....the best example would be SC6 currently. Every character has lots of dirty, broken shit. But thats what makes the game fun and have at least everybody viable. Bad example....SFV went the opposite route and made DLC 3 characters all safe. They may be the most balance, but they're boring as fuck and not fun to play. Does that make better sense?

gam224

Atom was good, but wasn't super great tho. Im talking about.....well....the best example would be SC6 currently. Every character has lots of dirty, broken shit. But thats what makes the game fun and have at least everybody viable. Bad example....SFV went the opposite route and made DLC 3 characters all safe. They may be the most balance, but they're boring as fuck and not fun to play. Does that make better sense?
I get it but I got to disagree. Good thread man keep up the good work

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
DAYUM! That was a lot lol. I love the idea of having more betas, but from my experience of playing betas of games....the online of the final version is actually WORST. How in the fuck that happens, i have no idea. But I experienced that in DBFZ and SC6. Im not too familiar with the terminology of netcodes but at this point, ANYTHING is better than delay based
I'll make a thread on various fgc terminology so others can understand.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'll make a thread on various fgc terminology so others can understand.
I don't think he was talking about FG-specific terminology, my guess would be he meant technical/networking stuff.

the best example would be SC6 currently. Every character has lots of dirty, broken shit.
I'm not sure I can agree with that. If you want a game where everyone has a ton of broken dirty shit, look at MvC or something.
It's fun to some people, but I'd say most aren't really into matchups consisting of impenetrable fireball walls versus 25/25/25/25 into pressure with ToD combos flying left and right.

I'd like to see NRS normalize hurtboxes. Female characters get away with more than they should. Goro and Ferra Torr also had wonkyass hurtboxes where your moves would inexplicably whiff mid-juggle.
I mean, it's annoying to get character-specific combos down, but sometimes it's by design, like weight classes in Dead or Alive or something.

Really though, I don't really think NRS were balancing MKX with that in mind.

I’d also like to see NRS create less “able” characters.
Eh... I get what you are saying, but these days there are plenty of Street Fighter wannabes using fairly conservative character designs and doing that well. Not sure if NRS should make just another Turbo Fundamental Fighter.

If anything, latest Killer Instinct have shown that you can have entire roster of absolutely bonkers kind of characters without breaking the game or turning it into "if everything is broken, nothing is broken" kind of shitfest. Although I give it that its basic mechanics are, ugh, acquired taste.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I would like to feel a little bit more respected by developers. Between Injustice and DBFZ and BBCTB and others, it feels like FGs are royally d-d-d-disrespecting their customers and really milking it.

MK needs to be serious as a funeral, dark, genuinely frightening, brutal, photorealistic, immersive (no meter bars, just the experience itself) closer simulate what an actual fight between ninjas, sorcerors and robots would look like, have a bigger skill gap, and take away most of the comedic relief and instead go full photorealistic horror

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I don't think that they'll add the pushblock. I hope they add the reflect, much similar to DBFZ or BBTAG.
I‘m fine with anything that gets you out of pressure without using 2 bars and all of your stamina it doesn‘t need to be pushblock. I love mkx but I dislike how much pressure you have to hold sometimes until you can get out of it.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
i love how both of us have the exact same opinion regarding mkx ;D
You know, I worked as a contractor for military, been into war zones. Stress was like a shadow, but when I did mental check ups, I was fine. After just playing MKX, for the first year I was diagnose with emotional cancer.

So, the healthiest thing to do, is to make bad jokes about this game, that I love so much.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I‘m fine with anything that gets you out of pressure without using 2 bars and all of your stamina it doesn‘t need to be pushblock. I love mkx but I dislike how much pressure you have to hold sometimes until you can get out of it.
What you suggest is what DBFZ and BBTAG have. a Back+"any button" button combination to reflect it and pushblock the opponent away from you to a certain distance. BBTAG and DBFZ have fullscreen and half-screen pushblock distance, respectively.

I'd think that if you time the back+block correctly, you could kick the opponent back to push him/her away from you.

If they add this, then it's good or bad for you or your opponent.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Just want to point out that the input issues do not have anything to do with lag or Delay, that's actually something NRS might probably not though about it for a while.

But you get a lot of issues with unintented attacks coming out because the game translates what you execute, and when you put him under a situation where you want option B over A, if such things have similar inputs or close and A has priority over B then during that specific condition you will always get A over B.

For example, hat Trick Kung Lao has a forward hat which input code is D, F+ 2, but if you block a Sub-Zero's slide which is a low, you're forced to block low, if you try to stand immediately to punish Sub with F2, if you have a hat over your head, the game will translate as D, F+2 instead of just standing up into a F2 and then you get a hat out instead.

A good idea to minimize similarites is having a set of commands inside the game and tell the game itself what those are and a specific time to execute certain commands, for example:

Imagine the left description as a what a developer would read and the right description after the = sign as a code the game can read

hold_down = D/
down = D
hold_back = B/
back = B
hold_forward = F/
forward = F
hold_up = U/
up = U

As you can see, you have 8 different commands and none of them has ambiguity inputs, so when you code Kung lao with a F2 normal, you code his specials this way.

Name = Hat Throw (name of the special)
Command = B, F+2 OR B,F, 2 (two ways to do a certain move)
buffer_time = 16 Frames (time to buffer a command)
Time = 10 frames (time to execute all the inputs)

Name = Forward Hat Trap
Comand = D, F+2 OR D, F 2
Time = 10 Frames

Next time someone holds down to block a slide and inputs Forward to execute a command normal he gets F+2 instead of a hat trap, and if you have someone that blocks using back while holding block and inputs a F+2 he won't get a Hat Throw when he wanted a F+2.

So NRS needs to get rid of those ambiguous inputs and code their engine to recognize that A !=B even if Down input is being pressed, one is being held and one is being tapped.

You know, I worked as a contractor for military, been into war zones. Stress was like a shadow, but when I did mental check ups, I was fine. After just playing MKX, for the first year I was diagnose with emotional cancer.

So, the healthiest thing to do, is to make bad jokes about this game, that I love so much.
I was no aware of it, i hope everything is fine now my friend.

ReallyMontana

Making Proper Adjustments
Less jack of all trades characters. I saw a lot of those in some games and it discourages people from playing characters that are more specialized and people just debate between which jack of all trades is the best. Keep in mind, I think jack of all trades characters should 100% be present and have a place in games, but they shouldn't out do someone focused on mostly zoning or someone focused on rush down. The goal is play style variety and it would be nice to see designs focused on giving characters very SPECIFIC, INTENDED weaknesses and strengths to keep them in check. For example: Zoner might give rushdown a hard time, but zoners struggle versus counter zoners and counter zoners tend to struggle against rushdown.

I want character customization to be big. Injustie 2, Soul Calibur 6 and others have this and I love it because there's nothing like making your main your own, distinct character that nobody has exactly like yours. Creative freedom is always great to me.

Incentives to discourage rage quits whether that's time in a pool with rage quitters, reduction of in game currency or whatever will help give an incentive to reduce rage quitting while being reasonable.

We've seen a lot of racial diversity in games lately and I hope that trend continues as fighting games to me are about the variety and uniqueness of characters both gameplay wise and lore/design wise.

Frame data in game. Some game companies are very good at including this and it helps me learn so much quicker and especially with my being on a limited time frame I can look at my core, best buttons and form a gameplan around that as opposed to having to guess which takes much more time.

Although generally I haven't had too many problems with netcode in games, any improvements are ALWAYS welcomed.
Definitely less of Jack Of All trades characters.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Just improve the online experience overall:

- GGPO
- WiFi inidcator
- Ability to mute opponents (personal pet peeve)
- Ability to decline matches
- Real punishment for rage quitting
- Intuitive matchmaking system (I hate the DBZ lobbies/SFV CapcomID crap)
- No regional lock
- Cross play between systems (that actually works)