What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

Subby Z

Noob
You didn't like Back To The Future: Part IX?
I also love that outworld us just edenia now? Could liu kang not save edenia? Oh and it’s all ran by women. Women do it better. Fuck all those men! Umgadi forever

Then we still had zero explanation why Kuai Liang uses pyromancy despite being born to the same family and having the same genes apparently. Love that shit so much. Now I can play as the guys angry brother with a chip on his shoulder when I want to play as my favorite character.

Oh and Hanzo’s a child now that’s cool too.

Oh and Tanya is just Jade now and looks nothing like any past iteration of Tanya whatsoever. I mean I get it. It’s a “New Era” (fuck that line by the way tired of hearing it). However, if you’re going to call her Tanya shouldn’t she like actually somewhat resemble Tanya?

then Shao gets his ass beat left and right. I have no idea how he was once a boss in this game because dude is embarassing.

Raiden is now bland as fuck also and he gets his powers from an amulet?

Rain’s no longer a demigod. Just some mage. Voldemort would be proud.

It’s like a bad fanfic tbh. Whoever wrote this said, “Yeah the MK lore is really long and I don’t feel like deciphering it so I’m just going to make characters who kinda resemble the the old ones and call it a day.”

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I also love that outworld us just edenia now? Could liu kang not save edenia? Oh and it’s all ran by women. Women do it better. Fuck all those men! Umgadi forever
I don't think it's just Edenia, but it's run by Edenians. Or maybe it could be a nod to MKII where Kitana's parents were rulers of Outworld and Edenia didn't exist yet. And it was all run by women in the old timeline too.

Besides that, I agree with all the rest.

Subby Z

Noob
I don't think it's just Edenia, but it's run by Edenians. Or maybe it could be a nod to MKII where Kitana's parents were rulers of Outworld and Edenia didn't exist yet. And it was all run by women in the old timeline too.

Besides that, I agree with all the rest.
I know and again it makes sense with Edenia, but if it’s outworld like what happened to Kotal or even Goro? Are they just gone now? Why does Edenia not exist but Outworld does?

Like I said this all is just like a fanfic. I truly believe this is another reason this game is in flopville USA right now. Some MK fans, like me, saw what was up with this game before it even released and said, “No Thankyou!”

The Kuai Harumi shit is also awful and I LOVE Kuai Liang. There is just zero reason for him to be with or even meet Harumi. They juat took most parts of Hanzo’s story plopped it on Kuai and said yup that’s Scorpion now.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I know and again it makes sense with Edenia, but if it’s outworld like what happened to Kotal or even Goro? Are they just gone now? Why does Edenia not exist but Outworld does?

Like I said this all is just like a fanfic. I truly believe this is another reason this game is in flopville USA right now. Some MK fans, like me, saw what was up with this game before it even released and said, “No Thankyou!”

The Kuai Harumi shit is also awful and I LOVE Kuai Liang. There is just zero reason for him to be with or even meet Harumi. They juat took most parts of Hanzo’s story plopped it on Kuai and said yup that’s Scorpion now.
I thought Goro was in the Story, was he not? I don't recall. As for Kotal, I don't think him not showing up yet means he probably doesn't exist, we'll probably get an update on him somewhere down the line.

I agree the story was bad, I really don't like what NRS has done with story and with the portrayal of several characters, not just in this game, but overall.

And yeah, what they did to Hanzo and Kuai is a mess, because by making Kuai have fire powers and Hanzo a kid, they even killed the possibility of having the real versions of them again - I mean, the real versions of every MK character ever save for Liu and Shang died in MK11, but you get the point.-

Subby Z

Noob
I thought Goro was in the Story, was he not? I don't recall. As for Kotal, I don't think him not showing up yet means he probably doesn't exist, we'll probably get an update on him somewhere down the line.

I agree the story was bad, I really don't like what NRS has done with story and with the portrayal of several characters, not just in this game, but overall.

And yeah, what they did to Hanzo and Kuai is a mess, because by making Kuai have fire powers and Hanzo a kid, they even killed the possibility of having the real versions of them again - I mean, the real versions of every MK character ever save for Liu and Shang died in MK11, but you get the point.-
Did they though? I honestly haven’t played this game . Once I saw what they were doing I was like ummm this is a nope for me. I thought I saw though that basically every character from MK11 has a titan version. So basically all of the endings in that game are now canon. Oh and dummy Dom said the titans are above the one being now! Talk about disrespect to anyone who came before him!

I played the original trilogy with my brothers and Kuai Liang always held a special spot for me because he’s a younger brother like myself and if there are any other younger brothers on here y’all know the tomfuckery we put up with having older brothers haha. Kuai was also just a good story of morals and being disciplined.

Anyway yeah I played the original trilogy when I was young then I asked for the 3-d games as birthday or christmas presents then once I was old enough I bought every game Armageddon and on myself day one.

This is the first one I have skipped I think ever. I love MK, but this story was some bullshit. I think we all saw WB fingerprints on story MKX and on. It’s like MK9 was what the team made before they fully transitioned over to part of a corporate WB. MKX had hints of change, then MK11 had a bit more, and now this is just a full on reboot so they can do whatever the fuck they want. I’ll pass on that and remember MK for what it was if I have to, but I’m hoping I’ll get to see my favorite characters again sometime before I die.

I get the feeling that may be A LONG time though unless this game just completely shits the bed. That’s why I voted with my wallet on this one.

I also love that outworld us just edenia now?
It's not, Outworld is it's own Realm and Edenians are a race native to Outworld. Edenia does not exist.

Oh and it’s all ran by women.
As has been pointed out, this was the case before as well.

Liu changed a lot of things for his timeline, with an eye to having things more stable and peaceful. He proactively tried to neuter major threats from previous timelines so those conflicts wouldn't arise in his. Shinnok does not exist as far as we know. Shao was born a sickly child, Shang is a native Outworlder and snake oil salesman, Quan is a native Outworlder and a slave. Things only changed back closer to what we know because Titan Shang intervened and manipulated things from the shadows for a long time.

For Hanzo, he may not be Scorpion (yet, who knows), but the character is still Scorpion. He still has his Spear, Teleport, Fire, etc.

I'm not the biggest fan of all of the changes myself, but the story was fun until the multiple timelines came about at the very end. Having both Liu and Shang win "Aftermath" was pretty neat, but they should have stuck with just that.

Goro was also in the Story and part of the Outworld army, loyal to Shao. Kotal is mentioned.

Lei Mei should actually have been Jade.

Your comment about fan fiction isn't far off, as it's different writers now than what we had before. Keep in mind, both Shawn K. and Dom have said they reference "History Behind the Warrior" videos when creating their stories, and from the few videos I've watched, HBW is pretty inaccurate.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Edenia has always been pretty matriarchal. Outworld, not so much. I don't see Shao Kahn putting a pink ribbon on his hammer every October. If modern values applied, HR would have fired him a long time ago.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I'm not sticking up for NRS/WB. MK1 has BY FAR been the worst release feature/support/communication-wise to date going back to MK9 in 2011. That sounded more negative than it should have, I've never had a single complaint until this game.

But I honestly think the reason more people are watching and playing MK11 (at least partly) is because they decided to call MK1 "MK1" instead of "MK12." The general internet public along with the casuals aren't invested enough to know that the timeline reset or whatever and that MK1 is newer than MK11. They simply see the higher number at the end, and that's what they click on, especially when viewing. Looking to buy an MK game? Fuck, higher number AND cheaper? MK11.

I've seen it firsthand on reddit many times. There are kids/uninformed who literally don't know that MK11 isn't the current MK

Whose call that was is beyond me, but I'm sure they're swimming in money and honestly couldn't give a fuck less

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Did they though? I honestly haven’t played this game . Once I saw what they were doing I was like ummm this is a nope for me. I thought I saw though that basically every character from MK11 has a titan version. So basically all of the endings in that game are now canon. Oh and dummy Dom said the titans are above the one being now! Talk about disrespect to anyone who came before him!

I played the original trilogy with my brothers and Kuai Liang always held a special spot for me because he’s a younger brother like myself and if there are any other younger brothers on here y’all know the tomfuckery we put up with having older brothers haha. Kuai was also just a good story of morals and being disciplined.

Anyway yeah I played the original trilogy when I was young then I asked for the 3-d games as birthday or christmas presents then once I was old enough I bought every game Armageddon and on myself day one.

This is the first one I have skipped I think ever. I love MK, but this story was some bullshit. I think we all saw WB fingerprints on story MKX and on. It’s like MK9 was what the team made before they fully transitioned over to part of a corporate WB. MKX had hints of change, then MK11 had a bit more, and now this is just a full on reboot so they can do whatever the fuck they want. I’ll pass on that and remember MK for what it was if I have to, but I’m hoping I’ll get to see my favorite characters again sometime before I die.

I get the feeling that may be A LONG time though unless this game just completely shits the bed. That’s why I voted with my wallet on this one.
When it comes to MK's story, it was in a pretty big lose-lose situation where the series had gone on for long enough that it appeared to be becoming more and more difficult to write characters, specifically the oldest ones, in new and interesting ways. If you want to tell a good story, then it's going to need structure and closure, so there's only so much you can do with the characters before they start going in circles, powercreeping themselves, or becoming unrecognizable. This goes doubly so for characters that die and defeated villains.

I actually liked the idea behind MK9 where they would retell the original games, but things would be slightly different. It let them keep all of the characters and main story beats, but add changes and twists to keep things fresh. Unfortunately, they immediately went off the rails with it and wrote themselves into a corner that only a reboot could save.

Unfortunately, there will now never be closure for old characters and stories as their threads have all been suddenly cut. As a fan of the old stories, which had their issues for sure, I just have zero investment in any story moving forward in MK. Those characters are all dead in another universe, and the story being told is an "original" one with a Mortal Kombat coat of paint splashed on it. It's one of those said realities that comes with indefinite franchising. You really only have two options: try to keep a single story going on forever with no closure or finality, or occasionally reboot things and constantly retell old stories over and over again.

Now, to be fair, even though I referred to this as a lose-lose situation, I do believe that either decision could work with the help of excellent writing. A stellar writing team with good long-term planning and foundation-setting could really keep a good story going and feeling fresh. Likewise, a talented writer could also reboot a series in a fresh and interesting way that captures a new audience while simultaneously holding the interest of old fans. The unfortunate reality is that the story mode is just a gimmick for selling copies, and not a priority for the developers/publishers. I do hope that one day we can get a reboot of the series with a focus on good storytelling because I really believe there are great stories that can be told in the MK universe, but for now we have to endure this watered-down Marvel dumpster fire.

Subby Z

Noob
When it comes to MK's story, it was in a pretty big lose-lose situation where the series had gone on for long enough that it appeared to be becoming more and more difficult to write characters, specifically the oldest ones, in new and interesting ways. If you want to tell a good story, then it's going to need structure and closure, so there's only so much you can do with the characters before they start going in circles, powercreeping themselves, or becoming unrecognizable. This goes doubly so for characters that die and defeated villains.

I actually liked the idea behind MK9 where they would retell the original games, but things would be slightly different. It let them keep all of the characters and main story beats, but add changes and twists to keep things fresh. Unfortunately, they immediately went off the rails with it and wrote themselves into a corner that only a reboot could save.

Unfortunately, there will now never be closure for old characters and stories as their threads have all been suddenly cut. As a fan of the old stories, which had their issues for sure, I just have zero investment in any story moving forward in MK. Those characters are all dead in another universe, and the story being told is an "original" one with a Mortal Kombat coat of paint splashed on it. It's one of those said realities that comes with indefinite franchising. You really only have two options: try to keep a single story going on forever with no closure or finality, or occasionally reboot things and constantly retell old stories over and over again.

Now, to be fair, even though I referred to this as a lose-lose situation, I do believe that either decision could work with the help of excellent writing. A stellar writing team with good long-term planning and foundation-setting could really keep a good story going and feeling fresh. Likewise, a talented writer could also reboot a series in a fresh and interesting way that captures a new audience while simultaneously holding the interest of old fans. The unfortunate reality is that the story mode is just a gimmick for selling copies, and not a priority for the developers/publishers. I do hope that one day we can get a reboot of the series with a focus on good storytelling because I really believe there are great stories that can be told in the MK universe, but for now we have to endure this watered-down Marvel dumpster fire.
So my thing is why do they keep rebooting? I saw you said you believe this is how they have to go, but maybe not?

and if so why not just ACTUALLY reboot? I keep bringing up the resident evil remakes in this argument but to me they have just done so well! So why can’t MK maybe look at that and admit ya know maybe we got lost in the sauce somewhere. Let’s restart

Like you said the last time they rebooted they did it but took liberties. I think after 30 years just do a faithful reboot of the franchise! Stop with the time shenanigans. People have spoken and they DO NOT like it.

If not that way just continue another story that took place after MKX or even MK11.

They could say this was a one off game set in its own universe and continue with our favorite characters in the next game. I mean afterall its Liu Kangs Universe this time around and we got kameos. So many things changed and that’s a recipe for disaster sometimes. TOO different and you risk alienating your core fanbase and really there is just no need for that.

Only thing is Idk how you go about that. I would personally just go with an alternate ending that has Liu Kang defeat Kronika. However if need be we could jump into Raidens timeline? They did act as though every MK11 character became a titan in that game so why not just follow the god who we are used to seeing as a god.

Otherwise Idk how they rebound from this. I think a hard reboot could be needed to fix some of these things.

I’ve personally always wanted to go back to Armageddon and see it prevented. I think Ed even said they had ideas for after Armageddon and maybe we need to see that.

Then we still had zero explanation why Kuai Liang uses pyromancy despite being born to the same family and having the same genes apparently. Love that shit so much. Now I can play as the guys angry brother with a chip on his shoulder when I want to play as my favorite character.

Oh and Hanzo’s a child now that’s cool too.

Oh and Tanya is just Jade now and looks nothing like any past iteration of Tanya whatsoever. I mean I get it. It’s a “New Era” (fuck that line by the way tired of hearing it). However, if you’re going to call her Tanya shouldn’t she like actually somewhat resemble Tanya?

then Shao gets his ass beat left and right. I have no idea how he was once a boss in this game because dude is embarassing.

Raiden is now bland as fuck also and he gets his powers from an amulet?

Rain’s no longer a demigod. Just some mage. Voldemort would be proud.

It’s like a bad fanfic tbh. Whoever wrote this said, “Yeah the MK lore is really long and I don’t feel like deciphering it so I’m just going to make characters who kinda resemble the the old ones and call it a day.”
Reading this makes me love NRS even more… uhg MK needs new devs asap

I'm not sticking up for NRS/WB. MK1 has BY FAR been the worst release feature/support/communication-wise to date going back to MK9 in 2011. That sounded more negative than it should have, I've never had a single complaint until this game.

But I honestly think the reason more people are watching and playing MK11 (at least partly) is because they decided to call MK1 "MK1" instead of "MK12." The general internet public along with the casuals aren't invested enough to know that the timeline reset or whatever and that MK1 is newer than MK11. They simply see the higher number at the end, and that's what they click on, especially when viewing. Looking to buy an MK game? Fuck, higher number AND cheaper? MK11.

I've seen it firsthand on reddit many times. There are kids/uninformed who literally don't know that MK11 isn't the current MK

Whose call that was is beyond me, but I'm sure they're swimming in money and honestly couldn't give a fuck less
Also, Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate goes on sale regularly and for a very cheap price. I see people asking about it on the official Discord all the time.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Please don’t give NRS ideas..
They already had to go back and remove an animation from an already released game because 4chan convinced the world that the okay hand symbol was the new swastika lol. "Giving them ideas' might ruin the game even more, but it makes for fun memories. If they are no longer capable of making a good game, the least they can do is act ridiculous so I can have a laugh at their expense.

Subby Z

Noob
Oh and another thing I love how Dom said this game sets up for MULTIPLE games in the future. So either they are going with more time shit which is played out or they’re going to continue the MK1 ass timeline.

Jusr no to either of those. Go back to the drawing board

Bruh.. just fired up season 4. Wow…

at this point I think NRS is just trying to piss off its fan base…

those color palettes are awful.. like for the first time I don’t actually want to do invasions (good job NRS).
Season 3 felt like was around for 6 months.. in that time you managed to not create a new mesa, give us awful palette colors that do not correlate to Mileena at all, give the “Mileena” skins absolutely no relating features of Mileena/tarkatans, give only like 4-5 characters actual distinctive skins, AND… Those distinctive skins are Mohawks and shit face paint (leads me to believe this season was meant to be Havik and they changed last minute to Mileena). And for those of us hyped about the UMK3 skins.. you gave us smoke and not reptile/scorpion so you could maximize more people buying all three instead of including the three characters in one pack.

bravo

May be done with this game, at least until the DLC is finished dropping. Never been so disappointed in a video game overall (let alone an MK game)

the game doesn’t need an overhaul, the company does. Sell it, make your riches and live happily ever after and give MK to a company that’s worth a damn and still cares about making an actual good product

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
So my thing is why do they keep rebooting? I saw you said you believe this is how they have to go, but maybe not?

and if so why not just ACTUALLY reboot? I keep bringing up the resident evil remakes in this argument but to me they have just done so well! So why can’t MK maybe look at that and admit ya know maybe we got lost in the sauce somewhere. Let’s restart

Like you said the last time they rebooted they did it but took liberties. I think after 30 years just do a faithful reboot of the franchise! Stop with the time shenanigans. People have spoken and they DO NOT like it.

If not that way just continue another story that took place after MKX or even MK11.

They could say this was a one off game set in its own universe and continue with our favorite characters in the next game. I mean afterall its Liu Kangs Universe this time around and we got kameos. So many things changed and that’s a recipe for disaster sometimes. TOO different and you risk alienating your core fanbase and really there is just no need for that.

Only thing is Idk how you go about that. I would personally just go with an alternate ending that has Liu Kang defeat Kronika. However if need be we could jump into Raidens timeline? They did act as though every MK11 character became a titan in that game so why not just follow the god who we are used to seeing as a god.

Otherwise Idk how they rebound from this. I think a hard reboot could be needed to fix some of these things.

I’ve personally always wanted to go back to Armageddon and see it prevented. I think Ed even said they had ideas for after Armageddon and maybe we need to see that.

They can't just disregard the timeline nonsense, but I agree. Simple fix is to have someone (Shang?) destroy ALL timelines sans one. That timeline can be back in the time of the Great King Lao. Start the game fresh from the first ancient tournament. Yes alot of characters will have to go by the way side. It would be the freshest, but it would steer the course going forward.

Alternatively, timeline can be immediately AFTER MK9 since MKX was 20 years after or some shit.

Either of those two is what I would like to see.

Fuck all this Kronika driven bullshit.