What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
MK9's story was the start of all fuck ups since it introduced timetravel - the worst mistake in all of MK's storyline. They should have continued after Armageddon without the timetravel crap.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Mk9 was peak story. Everything after has gone to sht. Idk who the creative writer or team but they need a pink slip.
I actually liked MKX story the best - I founf MK9 a little corny. The 20 years later angle worked well overall. Sure, it had some misses, but there were some fantastic bits too.

MK1 started with so much promise - the first half was fantastic. I was really glad to see some subtle storytelling and getting to know the characters more. That kind of story telling would allow the series to go for many titles before needing another reboot. As soon as the multiverse came in to it, it all went to shit and became tedious. I was under the impression that the reboot was so that they did not have to keep rebooting the series every third title - boy was I wrong.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I actually liked MKX story the best - I founf MK9 a little corny. The 20 years later angle worked well overall. Sure, it had some misses, but there were some fantastic bits too.

MK1 started with so much promise - the first half was fantastic. I was really glad to see some subtle storytelling and getting to know the characters more. That kind of story telling would allow the series to go for many titles before needing another reboot. As soon as the multiverse came in to it, it all went to shit and became tedious. I was under the impression that the reboot was so that they did not have to keep rebooting the series every third title - boy was I wrong.
MKX story was fine till Cassie defeated shinnock. Among other things in the story was poorly thrown together to check boxes.

MKX story was corny as hell. They should've went in a different direction. After 9. Firegod Liu Kang should've been introduced sooner to beat Dark lord shinnock not some child who takes selfies. Shinnock was sht on storywise to shoe horn the Kombat kids while ignoring his lore.

Last edited:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
because the direction switched long time ago from a dark and mysterious story, to a super heroesque movie with multiverse garbage,it just doesnt feel mk and it doesnt fit mk.
I recon that kinda started with MKA though. The whole "Taven alone must save the realms from total destruction!!" thing has some superhero story vibes, in contrast to MKD which was basically "events from mk1 to the present unfolding according to an average joe's point of view as he interacts with the realms and its inhabitants".

Wigy

There it is...
I think what we are missing is fast and impactful patching aside from whats already been mentioned. After mkx NRS went with like breadcrumb patches every 6 months

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
It's crazy how having a dedicated cinematic sotrymode with such a big production value made MK's story just so much worse. Who would've thought?
There are a lot of flaws with the way story mode is currently handled (the chapters system being the main offender), but it's nothing some actual good writing couldn't fix. Considering the poll that Ed Boon did recently, I wouldn't be surprised if NRS pivoted back to a Konquest Mode in MK13. Though with WB at the helm, it'll probably be terrible.

I can see it now: "You need 501 dragon crystals to open this chest. Press 'X' to enter Online Store. 500 dragon crystals for $4.99 or 1,000 $9.99." On second thought, I don't think I even want another Konquest Mode anymore.

There isnt an infinite number of original MK9 liu kangs and kitanas that became titans, there are only those two. Their logic works.
...dude you literally see multiple Kitana's and Liu Kang's with your own eyes in the ending of the game.

There is no "logic" here. NRS stories do not run on logic.

Current NRS writing is on the level of Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realms...but with worse characterization and continuity.

People might dismiss that as crazy or hyperbolic...it's not. I am 100% serious. NRS MK is just a bad Saturday morning cartoon with "the good guys" fighting "The bad guys" and Shang Tsung shaking his fist "I'll beat you next time, Liu Kang!"...which is an identical tone to Defenders of the Realms...except DotR could maintain characterization for more than one episode and keep track of its own continuity. It also gave us the best Smoke & Rain stuff.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I recon that kinda started with MKA though. The whole "Taven alone must save the realms from total destruction!!" thing has some superhero story vibes, in contrast to MKD which was basically "events from mk1 to the present unfolding according to an average joe's point of view as he interacts with the realms and its inhabitants".
It started with MK vs DCU. I would have preferred an MKA-esque story mode in MK1 rather than the rehash of the MK vs DCU / MK9 story mode.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Current NRS writing is on the level of Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realms...but with worse characterization and continuity.

People might dismiss that as crazy or hyperbolic...it's not. I am 100% serious. NRS MK is just a bad Saturday morning cartoon with "the good guys" fighting "The bad guys" and Shang Tsung shaking his fist "I'll beat you next time, Liu Kang!"...which is an identical tone to Defenders of the Realms...except DotR could maintain characterization for more than one episode and keep track of its own continuity. It also gave us the best Smoke & Rain stuff.
honestly, I think you are right.

There has been no real progression in the story or with the characters in this NRS era. All this money WB is throwing around, and it's to the point where it doesn't feel like MK any more. It feels like there are just these hollow episodes that "air" and end, with the narrative ending right where the previous one left off. Like seriously, since MK9 there have only been retcons that crap all over established characters, and then rehashed stories littered with poor creative decisions. MK11 kind of broke me as it pretty much started with a retelling of the MKX Kombat Kids story, mashed with a retelling of the MK9 story...but then it ended with essentially the Armageddon story...only for MK1 to give us "a fresh start", and then literally ends in Armageddon again. Dumb. And it's NOT the fault of all the time travel stuff. They are just bankrupt of creative ideas.

In MK11, they should have brought the MK lore full circle, with Raiden having a shade of his original MK1 design...not caring about ANYTHING but Earthrealm, and willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING for it's safety. Kronika is a fine character (though her relationship to other characters is kind of suspect), but she shouldn't have been the final boss, it should have been Dark Raiden full stop. The reasoning could have been that due to Raiden messing with time in MK9, a seed of corruption was planted (that is why he killed Liu, that is why he was willing to give all those souls to the Netherrealm, etc.), and in MKX it fully bloomed. His very existence should have been what was causing the time quakes and threatening everything, and after going through a dark story where Raiden is killing EVERYONE, Liu Kang should have been elevated to a God by Kronika to fight Raiden where he finally wins.

In the end, Kronika could have given up her station to Liu for whatever reason, and BAM! new timeline. AND THEN IN MK1 THEY SHOULD HAVE STUCK TO THEIR GUNS WITH A REBOOTED UNIVERSE AND FOR A CALL BACK, THEY SHOULD HAVE USED A RE-IMAGINED ONAGA AS THE FINAL BOSS.

But yeah, what we have REALLY sux. I just feel like the old/new characters got shafted through the past 3 games, and then they went ahead and shafted EVERY re-imagined character in MK1 within the same story. lol!

Last edited:
John tobias being back would be the best thing that can happen to mk,he was the mastermind behind the whole universe of mk,the ambience,the art direction,the world,the lore,character designs,you know that feeling when you turn on one of these old mk games,and you hear the music,the sound effects,the charcter grunts,it has so much identity and charm and that mysterious feeling,thats all johns vision.Sadly i doubt he will be back,corporate reasons and all that rubbish,among other things.
Unfortunately we seem to be in a minority here, even on MK forum lol. Looks like most users on TYM are more fan of the modern take of MK. Probably haven’t played or love the classics..

Unfortunately we seem to be in a minority here, even on MK forum lol. Looks like most users on TYM are more fan of the modern take of MK. Probably haven’t played or love the classics..
I love the original trilogy and it's characters and lore, though the reality is a lot of it was very basic and straightforward since it was mostly just a bio and an ending and perhaps a little more in the manuals of the home versions. It was certainly cool for the standards of game storytelling back in the '90's, but a lot of people wear their nostalgia glasses when looking at such things (myself included).

I love the original trilogy and it's characters and lore, though the reality is a lot of it was very basic and straightforward since it was mostly just a bio and an ending and perhaps a little more in the manuals of the home versions. It was certainly cool for the standards of game storytelling back in the '90's, but a lot of people wear their nostalgia glasses when looking at such things (myself included).
I’m a sucker for retro games. Do you think it’s because I’m wearing nostalgia glasses? There are many reasons why I prefer to play Dreamcast, Ps1/Ps2 era games. Not going to mention a list why, but I’m sure I’m not alone on the retro games.

it’s not always nostalgia

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
honestly, I think you are right.

There has been no real progression in the story or with the characters in this NRS era. All this money WB is throwing around, and it's to the point where it doesn't feel like MK any more. It feels like there are just these hollow episodes that "air" and end, with the narrative ending right where the previous one left off. Like seriously, since MK9 there have only been retcons that crap all over established characters, and then rehashed stories littered with poor creative decisions. MK11 kind of broke me as it pretty much started with a retelling of the MKX Kombat Kids story, mashed with a retelling of the MK9 story...but then it ended with essentially the Armageddon story...only for MK1 to give us "a fresh start", and then literally ends in Armageddon again. Dumb. And it's NOT the fault of all the time travel stuff. They are just bankrupt of creative ideas.

In MK11, they should have brought the MK lore full circle, with Raiden having a shade of his original MK1 design...not caring about ANYTHING but Earthrealm, and willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING for it's safety. Kronika is a fine character (though her relationship to other characters is kind of suspect), but she shouldn't have been the final boss, it should have been Dark Raiden full stop. The reasoning could have been that due to Raiden messing with time in MK9, a seed of corruption was planted (that is why he killed Liu, that is why he was willing to give all those souls to the Netherrealm, etc.), and in MKX it fully bloomed. His very existence should have been what was causing the time quakes and threatening everything, and after going through a dark story where Raiden is killing EVERYONE, Liu Kang should have been elevated to a God by Kronika to fight Raiden where he finally wins.

In the end, Kronika could have given up her station to Liu for whatever reason, and BAM! new timeline. AND THEN IN MK1 THEY SHOULD HAVE STUCK TO THEIR GUNS WITH A REBOOTED UNIVERSE AND FOR A CALL BACK, THEY SHOULD HAVE USED A RE-IMAGINED ONAGA AS THE FINAL BOSS.

But yeah, what we have REALLY sux. I just feel like the old/new characters got shafted through the past 3 games, and then they went ahead and shafted EVERY re-imagined character in MK1 within the same story. lol!
Ah yes, the bold, new direction of checks notes re-imagining an old final boss from an older game.

The thing they did with Shang.

I’m a sucker for retro games. Do you think it’s because I’m wearing nostalgia glasses? There are many reasons why I prefer to play Dreamcast, Ps1/Ps2 era games. Not going to mention a list why, but I’m sure I’m not alone on the retro games.

it’s not always nostalgia
Of course you're not, retro games are great for a whole host of reasons.

Nostalgia does play a role though (as it should). This absolutely applies to "things being better back in my day" types of mentalities. That's not just for games, but for all types of mediums. We are talking about subjective things, after all.

Of course you're not, retro games are great for a whole host of reasons.

Nostalgia does play a role though (as it should). This absolutely applies to "things being better back in my day" types of mentalities. That's not just for games, but for all types of mediums. We are talking about subjective things, after all.
It takes much effort and time to explain what I liked and still like about the classic MK games. Let me try to explain in short.

The sound effects, the music, the mystical elements (occultism) more focus on eastern mythology, eastern inspired combatants, the characteristics, the stances, appearances of the characters, the lore, Shaw Brothers inspired stages, more fantasy elements like portals, chanting monks etc… it’s too much to sum it all up in here. Even the 3D era games shared that classic MK charm. Hence the reason why I like MK mythologies (many flaws but it nails the feels of MK)

Modern MK games have become something very different. Change is good, it is needed to stay relevant. But not how NRS does it. They even mocked about the purple sky in outworld. That’s only 1 example.. It’s not nostalgia for me and I’m sure many other fans think alike.