What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

While I'm not an overall fan of this either, it's what's huge in media right now and greatly appeals to the masses (though thankfully, it does seem that people are finally getting tired/burnt out of super hero "epics.").

For Dominic himself, keep in mind we do not know if he's the one who's proposed the current story arcs, or if he's writing them based on direction from his own management. Regardless of which, his management would need to approve it before the development team moves forward with it.
I mean just becauae some concept is popular doesnt mean you got to slap it on your own product,context matters,and its a really bad direction to take mk in,but its not just that,there is alot more wrong with the story and how its being told.

I dont know their structure,managment could have stipulations that must be incorporated but im pretty sure dom has been give authority to direct the narrative which then probably has to get approved by Ed and certain other people,but yeah at the end of the day he does it,sitpulations or not.

I mean just becauae some concept is popular doesnt mean you got to slap it on your own product,context matters,and its a really bad direction to take mk in,but its not just that,there is alot more wrong with the story and how its being told.
I don't disagree, though keep in mind doing what's "trendy" is a very common thing. Especially for mass media.

I dont know their structure,managment could have stipulations that must be incorporated but im pretty sure dom has been give authority to direct the narrative which then probably has to get approved by Ed and certain other people,but yeah at the end of the day he does it,sitpulations or not.
Sure, but if he does it because he has to, that's a different ball game.

Mongrel

Noob
I think it was a different game when they started development. Maybe an Injustice assist game and then things began to get uncertain with WB merging, being up for sale or whatever and NRS had to make it an MK game real fast. I love the gameplay but everything else is pretty bad honestly and most of the kameos, hell the whole system feels half baked.

Last edited:

xRantex

Rante Inferno
This is another reason. The current maximum weekly unemployment benefit in Illinois is $484 per week with no dependents. If you have dependents, the maximum increases to $693. In Illinois, you can collect severance pay and unemployment benefits simultaneously. According to Section 2920.45, amounts paid or payable to the individual as severance pay shall not render the individual ineligible to receive benefits under Section 2920.5. This is why no one is getting fired. This is more than $100 more maximum than many other states. So, if you are working hybrid or remotely especially during the games making they were likely wherever and most of the employees don't live in Chicago. Many live in other suburban areas and go in when needed. This is a lot of the reason for many companies not getting the axe.
That's crazy though when you put it that way. Basically no one would get fired for there mistakes. Ugh, why Sub-Zero masks gotta be ugly out of all characters lol.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Whoever made Subs masks made them all ugly on purpose except 3 or they're just lucky af to be on the NRS team! They "know" someone and got hired.

SMH lol.

Art Lean

Noob
Whoever made Subs masks made them all ugly on purpose except 3 or they're just lucky af to be on the NRS team! They "know" someone and got hired.

SMH lol.
To be fair, they're as consistently ugly as Smoke's, Reptile's and Scorpion's.

And I won't even start on Reiko and Havik's godawful array of headgear, ugh!

I'm think I'm one day going to buy the PC version when it's cheap (as much as I don't want to fund WB any further from this debacle), unlike MK11 the community are able to easily mod MK1 and they're doing some crazy stuff with skins and gear (including, ahem, NSFW ones): https://www.nexusmods.com/mortalkombat

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
To be fair, they're as consistently ugly as Smoke's, Reptile's and Scorpion's.

And I won't even start on Reiko and Havik's godawful array of headgear, ugh!

I'm think I'm one day going to buy the PC version when it's cheap (as much as I don't want to fund WB any further from this debacle), unlike MK11 the community are able to easily mod MK1 and they're doing some crazy stuff with skins and gear (including, ahem, NSFW ones): https://www.nexusmods.com/mortalkombat
It isn't a matter of community, the reason past NRS games weren't modded on the level of MK1 is because those games were using heavily modified Unreal Engines, so it was incredibly difficult to work with if you weren't an NRS employee. MK1 is a much more common and well known engine, so people are going wild.

"You are my Liu Kang" was enough for me to forgive every sin in MK1's story
Yeah except that is impossible and untrue as put forth by the very game itself.

This is explicitly a Kitana from another timeline and not HIS Kitana and it is not HER Liu Kang.

This is the problem with multiverse timeline stuff, if the writer is a dullard you end up with stuff that is just flat-out wrong because they can't keep track of how their own things work.

"His" Kitana was a revenant that died. This Kitana is a Kitana from a totally different timeline where Liu Kang died and she didn't. They're different people.

Yeah except that is impossible and untrue as put forth by the very game itself.

This is explicitly a Kitana from another timeline and not HIS Kitana and it is not HER Liu Kang.

This is the problem with multiverse timeline stuff, if the writer is a dullard you end up with stuff that is just flat-out wrong because they can't keep track of how their own things work.

"His" Kitana was a revenant that died. This Kitana is a Kitana from a totally different timeline where Liu Kang died and she didn't. They're different people.
nah because it’s the Liu Kang from MK11, the one from the past that ends up becoming God Liu Kang.
It’s “his” Kitana.. it’s just not the Liu Kang or Kitana that we’ve been playing as in MK9/X because those two became evil revenants

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
nah because it’s the Liu Kang from MK11, the one from the past that ends up becoming God Liu Kang.
It’s “his” Kitana.. it’s just not the Liu Kang or Kitana that we’ve been playing as in MK9/X because those two became evil revenants
This. From what the game tells us, every Titan was once just the regular version character of the MK11 story mode, which would mean Titan Kitana is the same (non-revenant) Kitana from the story mode - which is also the same Kitana from MK9, just brought forward into the future, skipping the whole Sindel slaughter and the entirety of MKX's story.

Incorrect. On a couple fronts.

Firstly, Fire God Liu Kang is Liu Kang from MK9/X...and he is also Liu Kang from MK9 before fighting Shao Khan (ignore that this makes for a bunch of continuity problems with other characters because MK11's entire story mode is a disaster). In MK11, both Liu's are combined into ONE being by Raiden. We see this happen...because the revenant had already sucked out the previous Liu's soul. Ignore that somehow this maybe kind of doesn't kill Liu (again the writing is a disaster). So, in actuality, he is MORE Liu Kang from 9/X than he is the soul-sucked sorta-dead younger Liu especially since we're told those characters from the past were from THAT same timeline...somehow.

So we've established FG Liu is revenant Liu.

This. From what the game tells us, every Titan was once just the regular version character of the MK11 story mode, which would mean Titan Kitana is the same (non-revenant) Kitana from the story mode - which is also the same Kitana from MK9, just brought forward into the future, skipping the whole Sindel slaughter and the entirety of MKX's story.
Yes so THAT Kitana is NO ONE to Liu Kang. See, here's the problem with the writers ignoring what happens in their own games: Liu Kang and Kitana have virtually ZERO relationship in MK9. They share a few words with each other in a courtyard and Liu tries to save her. Then Liu is off with Raiden and Kitana gets killed by Sindel. So that means, this Kitana is from BEFORE Liu even beat Shao in MK2 so he hasn't even got any time to speak to her outside of their skirmish in MK1...which was literally a couple minutes.

FG Liu and MK9 Kitana do not know each other in ANY meaningful way. They have no actual relationship. The ONLY relationship formed is the one that we have to assume off-screen happens over the time skip of MKX and leading into MK11. That is a relationship between the revenants. Past Kitana and Liu Kang are virtual strangers to each other.

Now, it gets worse...because we have to discuss how TIME LINES work.

Cuz, ya see, they AREN'T the same people. Kitana dies in FG Liu Kang's timeline. We know this because there's no Kitana around when he remakes the timeline (despite her being in the MK11 'good' ending though she is then gone in Aftermath). Also, if they are the Keeper of Time, it means the Titans are the LAST ONES to defeat Kronika...which means everyone else dies in their timeline.

Strictly speaking, FG Liu's Kitana is Rev-Kitana because that is the one he actually spent time with and knew (including during the events of MK3). What happens to her in MK11? She also gets killed.

FG's Kitana is dead. Not only dead but literally erased from time by Kronika's rewind. This is explicit. MK9 Kitana? Also dead. Killed by Shao Kahn AND obliterated by the time rewind.

They're gone. Dead. Kaput.

Now let's discuss Titan-Kitana.

T-Kitana, if she's the one from MK9, has zero meaningful relationship with Liu Kang (just the beginning of one), as I already explained. He's a guy she met and said like 3 sentences to before leaving back to Outworld. If she's the keeper of time, it means she was the last survivor of her timeline and remade it. This would mean that her Liu was ALSO obliterated by the rewind.

We also know this is all necessarily true because the timelines are explicitly said to be running concurrently. So whatever day it is in FG's timeline, it is in T-Kitana's.

So, both their significant others are A) dead, or B) dead and they never had any real relationship with them anyway.

Now toss onto that the fact that people from different timelines are factually different individuals and it gets even clearer they are NOT each other's significant others. Why? Because those people are dead. D-E-D. There are a zillion Liu Kang's out there with varied pasts. There was ONE that knew that specific T-Kitana. He's dead. There was also only one Kitana FG Liu knew and had a relationship with. Her? We see her die and get erased.

This is the equivalent of Scarlet Witch going to another timeline and just going "Oh actually THESE are my children". No. No they are not. They're separate people. They might be VERY similar...but they're different discrete individuals.

See? There's all sorts of problems with MK1's story, not the least of which is that it literally ignores or forgets events of the past games while making vast assumptions about the characters involved in them.

A bunch of people playing it did the same thing.

"Oh! Kitana...she's in love with Liu Kang!"

No, not necessarily. THAT relationship was barely started by NRS and never done meaningfully until they were already undead monsters. But NRS forgot about that...and so did a lot of players. They just inserted their own knowledge of PAST iterations of Liu and Kitana from the other continuity like what was fleshed out in Shaolin Monks and other games. Guess what? That stuff NEVER HAPPENED in NRS timeline.

NRS Kitana and Liu Kang do not have anything resembling the Midway relationship in NRS-timeline 1. They only have their undead relationship. Everything else is confabulation with past timelines. Confabulation that NRS writers themselves are guilty of by virtue of not paying attention to their own atrocious continuity.

You were bamboozled.

EDIT:

Just to illustrate my point...

If Kitana is MK9 Kitana from before Shao kills Kung Lao...

This is the ENTIRETY of T-Kitana's "relationship" with Liu Kang

A 4 minute video where the majority is gameplay of their fight against each other. They literally exchange a couple sentences. In fact, I counted. Liu Kang says 7 lines of dialogue and Kitana says 6.

MY GOD what a sweeping love story for the ages! MK1's call-back to this is truly masterful and an homage to the amazing story-telling put forth in MK9!

Like I said, thoroughly bamboozled. NRS is coasting on people confabulating, conflating and head-canon-ing backstory in that quite literally never happened. From every single angle, it makes no sense.

Last edited:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile

Firstly, Fire God Liu Kang is Liu Kang from MK9/X...and he is also Liu Kang from MK9 before fighting Shao Khan (ignore that this makes for a bunch of continuity problems with other characters because MK11's entire story mode is a disaster). In MK11, both Liu's are combined into ONE being by Raiden. We see this happen...because the revenant had already sucked out the previous Liu's soul. Ignore that somehow this maybe kind of doesn't kill Liu (again the writing is a disaster). So, in actuality, he is MORE Liu Kang from 9/X than he is the soul-sucked sorta-dead younger Liu especially since we're told those characters from the past were from THAT same timeline...somehow.

Yes so THAT Kitana is NO ONE to Liu Kang. See, here's the problem with the writers ignoring what happens in their own games: Liu Kang and Kitana have virtually ZERO relationship in MK9. They share a few words with each other in a courtyard and Liu tries to save her. Then Liu is off with Raiden and Kitana gets killed by Sindel. So that means, this Kitana is from BEFORE Liu even beat Shao in MK2 so he hasn't even got any time to speak to her outside of their skirmish in MK1...which was literally a couple minutes.

FG Liu and MK9 Kitana do not know each other in ANY meaningful way. They have no actual relationship. The ONLY relationship formed is the one that we have to assume off-screen happens over the time skip of MKX and leading into MK11. That is a relationship between the revenants. Past Kitana and Liu Kang are virtual strangers to each other.

Cuz, ya see, they AREN'T the same people. Kitana dies in FG Liu Kang's timeline. We know this because there's no Kitana around when he remakes the timeline (despite her being in the MK11 'good' ending though she is then gone in Aftermath). Also, if they are the Keeper of Time, it means the Titans are the LAST ONES to defeat Kronika...which means everyone else dies in their timeline.

Strictly speaking, FG Liu's Kitana is Rev-Kitana because that is the one he actually spent time with and knew (including during the events of MK3). What happens to her in MK11? She also gets killed.

FG's Kitana is dead. Not only dead but literally erased from time by Kronika's rewind. This is explicit. MK9 Kitana? Also dead. Killed by Shao Kahn AND obliterated by the time rewind.

T-Kitana, if she's the one from MK9, has zero meaningful relationship with Liu Kang (just the beginning of one), as I already explained. He's a guy she met and said like 3 sentences to before leaving back to Outworld. If she's the keeper of time, it means she was the last survivor of her timeline and remade it. This would mean that her Liu was ALSO obliterated by the rewind.

We also know this is all necessarily true because the timelines are explicitly said to be running concurrently. So whatever day it is in FG's timeline, it is in T-Kitana's.

So, both their significant others are A) dead, or B) dead and they never had any real relationship with them anyway.

Now toss onto that the fact that people from different timelines are factually different individuals and it gets even clearer they are NOT each other's significant others. Why? Because those people are dead. D-E-D. There are a zillion Liu Kang's out there with varied pasts. There was ONE that knew that specific T-Kitana. He's dead. There was also only one Kitana FG Liu knew and had a relationship with. Her? We see her die and get erased.

This is the equivalent of Scarlet Witch going to another timeline and just going "Oh actually THESE are my children". No. No they are not. They're separate people. They might be VERY similar...but they're different discrete individuals.

See? There's all sorts of problems with MK1's story, not the least of which is that it literally ignores or forgets events of the past games while making vast assumptions about the characters involved in them.

No, not necessarily. THAT relationship was barely started by NRS and never done meaningfully until they were already undead monsters. But NRS forgot about that...and so did a lot of players. They just inserted their own knowledge of PAST iterations of Liu and Kitana from the other continuity like what was fleshed out in Shaolin Monks and other games. Guess what? That stuff NEVER HAPPENED in NRS timeline.

NRS Kitana and Liu Kang do not have anything resembling the Midway relationship in NRS-timeline 1. They only have their undead relationship. Everything else is confabulation with past timelines. Confabulation that NRS writers themselves are guilty of by virtue of not paying attention to their own atrocious continuity.

You were bamboozled.

EDIT:

A 4 minute video where the majority is gameplay of their fight against each other. They literally exchange a couple sentences. In fact, I counted. Liu Kang says 7 lines of dialogue and Kitana says 6.

MY GOD what a sweeping love story for the ages! MK1's call-back to this is truly masterful and an homage to the amazing story-telling put forth in MK9!

Like I said, thoroughly bamboozled. NRS is coasting on people confabulating, conflating and head-canon-ing backstory in that quite literally never happened. From every single angle, it makes no sense.
Yes, the Titan Kitana is MK9 Kitana. Her relationship with liu kang is, indeed, just those lines in the courtyard + whatever lines they had when he rescued her in the Kahns Kolosseum + whatever other lines they had in MK11 (because, again, human liu/kitana ARE mk9 liu/kitana forwarded years in the future). I'm not saying this is good storytelling, they indeed didnt have much time to develop a relationship at all, but this doesnt mean there is any continuity error when the story mode says "Titan Kitana is Mk9 Kitana, who is Mk9/FireGod Liu's love interest".

Edit: tbh, it is the same thing with the non-cannon MK Shaolin Monks. They both exchange even less lines in that game, yet there is a clear intention, from a storytelling point, of painting them as people who fall in love with eachother. Even more hilarious is the fact that Kitana's first contact with Liu is after he BRUTALLY MURDERS HER BEST FRIEND.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
It isn't a matter of community, the reason past NRS games weren't modded on the level of MK1 is because those games were using heavily modified Unreal Engines, so it was incredibly difficult to work with if you weren't an NRS employee. MK1 is a much more common and well known engine, so people are going wild.
No. The reason why MK1 is modded more is because it doesn't use Denuvo Anti-Tamper unlike MK11 & Injustice 2 (modders eventually found a way to mod them) along with other fighting games like Tekken 7. MK9 & MKX has mods & has a big modding community (Mortal Kombat Secrets) just a lot of them are just changing the colour of already existing character models but there are some high quality ones too & they have even made new characters with their own animations & moveset too like UMK3 Cyber-Smoke.

Also NRS are generations behind when it comes to their use of UE except when they first started using UE3 for MKvsDCU (2008) & by MK11 UE3 was already out for 13 years, UE4 (2015) was already out for 8 years before they used it for MK1 (other FG developers have adopted it before NRS) & Tekken 8 is using UE5. I'm gonna tag @Immortal because there's a good chance he probably knows more about Unreal Engine than I do.

Last edited:
the story was fine until they introduced titan shang tsung and the else worlds multiverse plot, why are they so afraid to keep it grounded? damn.
I actually had no issue with Titan Shang Tsung and having both endings from "Aftermath" be canonical, I thought that was neat. Bringing in more timelines though, that was not for me.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
lol I've been away for too long, what's going on? I just read SonicFox's most recent tweets and I wonder what's going... since I've seen some drama here and there like the infamous (halloween or thanksgiving?) fatality they were selling lmfao however, I don't think that's what Sonic is talking about.

No. The reason why MK1 is modded more is because it doesn't use Denuvo Anti-Tamper unlike MK11 & Injustice 2 (modders eventually found a way to mod them) along with other fighting games like Tekken 7. MK9 & MKX has mods & has a big modding community (Mortal Kombat Secrets) just a lot of them are just changing the colour of already existing character models but there are some high quality ones too & they have even made new characters with their own animations & moveset too like UMK3 Cyber-Smoke.

Also NRS are generations behind when it comes to their use of UE except when they first started using UE3 for MKvsDCU (2008) & by MK11 UE3 was already out for 13 years, UE4 (2015) was already out for 8 years before they used it for MK1 (other FG developers have adopted it before NRS) & Tekken 8 is using UE5. I'm gonna tag @Immortal because there's a good chance he probably knows more about Unreal Engine than I do.
mk1 uses denuvo anti-tamper,and denuvo doesnt have anything to do with the ability to mod games.

the reason mk1 is much more moddable is becuase its on ue4,which has a specific structure and has been standrdized in how it is modded,due to that structure,with ofcourse some specifics in regards to individual games,

mk11 mk x injustice 1 and 2 and mk9,were on ue3,heavilyy modified versions specific to nrs at that,making modding difficult.

even though we have a bunch of cool stuff going on with modding in mk1 its still in its infancy amd we dont have proper mod tools,and currently custome cloth phisycs are not working so making mesh edits and importing custome ones is incomplete.

Last edited:

You were bamboozled.

EDIT:

you deconstrcutrd their poor writting very well,but from what i understood,once liu kang defeted shang infused with kronika and became a titan liu kang,at that very same moment an infinte number of timles spawned where someone else was the winner,so in essence their logic to saying ,you are my kitana and you are my liu kang,is the fact that mk9 liu kang,the one we play with in that chapter is titan kang,winner in his timeline,and yeah in his timeline his kitana is dead,but there is an altrnate univers spawned where that very same kitana is the winner,and she is the titan and her liu kang is dead,so what happens is that titan kang summons that kitana from her timline where he himself died and now they are both here in his timline where he is alive and she is dead,but he summoned here from a timline where she is not dead.so you have that very same kitana that survived in her timeline here in a timline where she originally died.

make no mistake its dumb as fuck but the logic as retarded as it is kinda works and they can indeed say my liu kang and my kitana

lol I've been away for too long, what's going on? I just read SonicFox's most recent tweets and I wonder what's going... since I've seen some drama here and there like the infamous (halloween or thanksgiving?) fatality they were selling lmfao however, I don't think that's what Sonic is talking about.
Desyncs in Ranked are still happening.

How are y'all liking those intros still? Worth getting shoved into a mode that did not have them in the first place?
Worth the headache just to hear Johnny say some stupid shit to your character that ultimately doesn't matter in the match?

If you answered yes please enjoy the desync.

Also NRS are generations behind when it comes to their use of UE
To put this into full perspective, MK11 was released at the end of 2019 and was built on Unreal 3

Capcom released Street Fighter 5 in the beginning of 2016...and was on Unreal 4

That is how far behind NRS is.

make no mistake its dumb as fuck but the logic as retarded as it is kinda works and they can indeed say my liu kang and my kitana
The logic is so retarded that, using that logic along with the "infinite timelines were made", means that if THAT is "my Kitana" and "my Liu Kang" it means there are literally INFINITE "my Kitanas" and "my Liu Kangs" rendering it utterly pointless and meaningless.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
in terms of story ... there was a lot of things that apparently happened or going on that we were not supposed to see...IE they just didn't think of it yet. In MKX. Dvorah was basically shoehorned in and always there. I forget but wasn't she in a scene with Raiden, Kung Lao, and Liu Kang before their demise? Kenshi apparently knew who Nightwolf was. In MK11 everyone from the MK2 portion of MK9, Kronika brought back everyone that was there including Erron Black and Skarlet. I guess you could argue that Liu Kang and Kitana did not really form a pact until they became revenants. Regardless, they essentially with this game they said ... everything and every ending happened. That is kinda in a way how the DC stuff has been. There are many parts of MK1's story that I think were beyond lazy writing. This is happening though in many movies tv shows etc. I really don't like how Sindel was in a forced marriage but came to love her husband and supports him because that's how things work in life. Only for him to basically be Ermac and now she lives on in Ermac. I REALLY thought the Kronika just kidding I'm Damashi, just kidding I'm really Shang Tsung from another timeline. Kenshi also got over Mileena stabbing his eyes out quickly. Plus..there was a lot of predictable filler to pad it out.

And to the whole Kronika/Damashi/Shang is exactly what was silly about Wandavision how Agnes was Agatha. Or taking a concept like Thor Love and Thunder and mixing a very serious topic with really bad humor.

Bottom Line: If you enjoy yourself then great. It's like this ... as a kid/teen I loved Melrose Place and yes for the plot lol. Everyone lived in an apartment complex paid 500 dollars for rent in West Hollywood and could barely afford it yet all the women had their roots done, no one got along, people died in the pool, came back from the dead but still lived there, Linden Ashby moved in and banged a couple women, and the actress who voice Skarlet in MK11 was also in it. I was like...I can't wait to be an adult...only to realize...not how it is. lol

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
To put this into full perspective, MK11 was released at the end of 2019 and was built on Unreal 3

Capcom released Street Fighter 5 in the beginning of 2016...and was on Unreal 4

That is how far behind NRS is.

The logic is so retarded that, using that logic along with the "infinite timelines were made", means that if THAT is "my Kitana" and "my Liu Kang" it means there are literally INFINITE "my Kitanas" and "my Liu Kangs" rendering it utterly pointless and meaningless.
There isnt an infinite number of original MK9 liu kangs and kitanas that became titans, there are only those two. Their logic works.