What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

The fact they charged what they charged when the game was released, charged us for playing the game earlier, and filled the game with BS pallets and the classic skins they put it on the premiun shop where we have to use real money to buy it, in a game filled with bugs when released....like....they are just calling us stupid.

I'm not even mentioning charging 10 dollars for a single Fatality.....even the Maximilian dood's and NRS ball lickers complained about that.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
The fact they charged what they charged when the game was released, charged us for playing the game earlier, and filled the game with BS pallets and the classic skins they put it on the premiun shop where we have to use real money to buy it, in a game filled with bugs when released....like....they are just calling us stupid.

I'm not even mentioning charging 10 dollars for a single Fatality.....even the Maximilian dood's and NRS ball lickers complained about that.
There was a lot of deception in their marketing. Especially compared to Tekken 8 which is so transparent. If I knew earlier what I know now about the game I would’ve picked it up in February 2024.

And I never recommend this game to anyone. Casual or competitive.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
There was a lot of deception in their marketing. Especially compared to Tekken 8 which is so transparent. If I knew earlier what I know now about the game I would’ve picked it up in February 2024.

Looking back on it, it's funny how everyone (myself included) was like, "WTF is up with NRS's marketing?" when the reality was there was actually nothing to market in the game. It's a fighting game with a basic story mode and bare-bones online functionality. Other than Invasions Mode, which is a whole other can of worms, that's pretty much it.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I bought the deluxe edition, on the promise of more content.
That content is non-existent.
Where’s the two DLC stages?
Where’s the *skins for DLC characters?
*Colors aren’t skins/costumes.
the DLC characters don’t have the content that the base characters do, despite Boon saying in that they would in more than one interview.
The promise of KAMEOS representing 3D era characters was a huge misrepresentation.
Tremor isn’t a 3D era character
Khameleon isn’t a 3D era character, she was a console-specific swap.

Chubbuddy

The Quirkiest
I bought the deluxe edition, on the promise of more content.
That content is non-existent.
Where’s the two DLC stages?
Where’s the *skins for DLC characters?
*Colors aren’t skins/costumes.
the DLC characters don’t have the content that the base characters do, despite Boon saying in that they would in more than one interview.
The promise of KAMEOS representing 3D era characters was a huge misrepresentation.
Tremor isn’t a 3D era character
Khameleon isn’t a 3D era character, she was a console-specific swap.
The two stages are variations of Cage Mansion and Gateway. And yeah, I can give you the other points, though. But we do have Darrius, Shujinko, Frost, Sareena as kameos, and Mavado is coming in the future as well.

I have my own disappointments with this game, but I'm just responding to your points here lol

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
All my points still stand.
Those aren’t new stages, just variations on existing stages. The same as trying to say a color swap is a new skin lol.
Also, the KAMEOS are mostly non-3D era characters. And out of the DLC KAMEOS…ONE is a 3D era character? gtfo

Chubbuddy

The Quirkiest
Those aren’t new stages, just variations on existing stages. The same as trying to say a color swap is a new skin lol.
Also, the KAMEOS are mostly non-3D era characters. And out of the DLC KAMEOS…ONE is a 3D era character? gtfo
Yeah. Also, is your PFP from Nightbreed?

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I agree with most of your points, but I disagree about your thoughts on 3D Representation.

In their defence, they never said that all 3D Characters would be in the game, just a significant increase. So far there are ten 3D characters included, whereas since Armageddon, we have had two represented. That is a massive increase in representation and it would be pretty unreasonable to think otherwise. We also have future DLC which has not been announced. On top of that, you get Khameleon, Motaro, Reiko - all of who have not been playable since the 3D era. They have delivered an increase in characters we have not seen in a long time and imo it is one of the few promises that they lived up to.

The stages may come. I agree that we have a couple of palete swaps which is dissapointing. The Christmas one does look like an entirely new stage unlike JC Mansion, so at least that is one thing. I think it is likely that more stages will be added in a future patch.

I am very unimpressed with MK1 and feel like NRS got over. I don't understand how they continue to make these subpar gameplay experiences. Online is subpar, character diversity and balance are subpar. What is the point of having the cameo system if not even half of them are viable?

LEGEND

YES!
character diversity and balance are subpar. What is the point of having the cameo system if not even half of them are viable?
Thats not even true though

The game balance if anything is too good. I hate having 20+ viable characters personally.

Every single Kameo has a character that they are good with too. A few are only good with one or two characters but for the most part there is alot of viability to go around.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★

Looking back on it, it's funny how everyone (myself included) was like, "WTF is up with NRS's marketing?" when the reality was there was actually nothing to market in the game. It's a fighting game with a basic story mode and bare-bones online functionality. Other than Invasions Mode, which is a whole other can of worms, that's pretty much it.
It always seemed fishy to me the date that MK1 was released was after just 5 months after announcement & literally during the busiest time in gaming during the last decade because Starfield, CP2077: Phantom Liberty DLC, Balder's Gate 3, Lies of P, Payday 3 & so many more huge games were released that month. Also the ads for MK1 didn't have any gameplay at all, it was just Dave Bautista shouting Mortal Kombat & monologuing while only showing 5 seconds of flashes of game footage.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
It always seemed fishy to me the date that MK1 was released was after just 5 months after announcement & literally during the busiest time in gaming during the last decade because Starfield, CP2077: Phantom Liberty DLC, Balder's Gate 3, Lies of P, Payday 3 & so many more huge games were released that month. Also the ads for MK1 didn't have any gameplay at all, it was just Dave Bautista shouting Mortal Kombat & monologuing while only showing 5 seconds of flashes of game footage.
well..to be fair. This was done during MK11 although I remember a lot more kombat kasts, transparencies, etc tho in the meantime. However, I think multiple factors were at play here...for one...the game was clearly in development for a while...several VA have said they recorded the lines 2 years ago during an interview during this past summer so they all had to have recorded them during 2021. The merger of ATT selling off WB to Discovery was also a think. I'm still heavily convinced this game was a hybrid of both a possible 3rd expansion to MK11 at least story wise that was meant to be in Ultimate. Also, they knew SF6 was coming so they knew they had to go up against it and they knew it had to come out before Tekken 8. The current gen consoles are now over 3 years old and really just in the last year now more easily available.

I also think they evaded a lot of questions and not explaining enough of the Kameo system. They also probably knew since they had Homelander, Peacemaker, and Omni-man as guests they had to get that announced to capitalize on their respective shows while they could. I think they also knew we were aware that 3D era characters would no doubt appear so they decided to do the opposite and show off the early ones.

As far as the other games go ... they all are sort of in a niche' (for example, i just don't do well with FP games and i love rpgs and mmos but i just don't have the time to play) so they were targeting a specific gamer. I think MK's biggest hurdle may be that it is trying to appeal to the younger Gen Z audience while keeping older fans as well. I don't have a problem with this but getting that interest may be difficult to maneuver. I think there was a misfire though by not having a boss. It also seems odd they could not have an onslaught of Kameos. Even if they are on the fence as to whether they should be on the main roster or not. I could go on and on. lol. i have gone on and on. The world is just in such a strange place right now as a whole. Wars, weather, politics, entertainment, the pandemic, fear of losing jobs, making money, wanting to help those who can't. I just want world peace! Okay....end rant. lol

Thats not even true though

The game balance if anything is too good. I hate having 20+ viable characters personally.

Every single Kameo has a character that they are good with too. A few are only good with one or two characters but for the most part there is alot of viability to go around.
"The game balance if anything is too good?" Stop. Do you play online at all? Watch tournaments. You see pretty much the same few main characters with the same regurgitation of cameos.

I will start by saying that I have been an overall fan of the series since MKOG1 in 1992. I have been playing it alongside Street Fighter since then. While I have always had issues with certain things in the series (beside MKvsDC), I was always overall positive about it. When it comes to MK1, yes the gameplay is an improvement over 11, but honestly my compliments stop here. This will be a rant and honestly feel free to skip it, I'm just sharing my current feelings about what used to be one of my favorite series ever.

I fucking hate MK1, and since I started in 1992 I honestly can't believe I'm actually saying this about a game in this series. I will also say that yes WB is dogshit, but we can't only blame them for this mess. NRS has been dogshit for a while, and Ed Boon has been a lying clown for a long time. Yes there are a lot of things that have definitely been affected by WB, but you can't sit here with a straight face and say NRS is innocent.

I'm tired of NRS constantly making garbage decisions with the direction of these games. Having already said that MK1 plays better than 11, I will also still say that the gameplay STILL feels sluggish and stiff compared to the competition. This has been the first experience in quite a long long time since I played MK and SF basically around the same time (since maybe the 90s really). Having experienced SF6 in June, and MK1 in September I honestly just can't do it anymore. Yes I do understand for many it's become part of the charm, but I personally can't do it anymore. It's just rough to look at in motion and to feel when playing. I'm not even talking about GG, KI, KoF, Tekken, I'm strictly comparing it to the other fighting game that just came out 3 months prior. Every time my buddy and I sat down to play MK1, after a few matches I would always think to myself: "Why am I wasting my time with this game? Honestly rather be playing SF6 right now".

NRS has gone fully moronic with the story too, what was promised to be back to basics with this game, more grounded etc... and the story having started with a lot of promise in MK1, we went back to the same garbage of time travel and multiverse that people have had enough of and have voiced their opinions.

I'm also tired of NRS' lack of consistency with character designs, the last few games I've been losing attachement to my favorite characters because every new game they look very different. I look back at Chun Li in say early 90s, and I see a picture of her today and I recognize her right away. I can't say the same about my favorite MK characters anymore.

Invasions mode is just terrible, absolutely awful. It's almost like they designed it purposefully to make us hate our lives, that's how I feel. The worst single player experience in any fighting game I have ever played. If the devs truly cared about the customer experience, you can't tell me with a straight face they thought this would be fun.

The lack of basic features in a fighting game in 2023 is also nuts man. How do you release a game 3 months after your biggest competitor that raised the bar, and still have basic issues like:
-No crossplay
-No filters
-No lobbies
-No online practice mode
-No training while matchmaking
-No public replays
-No friends lists
-No blacklists
-No social hub
-Worse netcode than only cared to that competitor, but to your own last game.

How about the consistent garbage PC releases? NRS and WB make so much fucking money but refuse to have NRS properly make a PC version? Why do they have to out source it and Capcom doesn't? On top of that, Ed Boon consistently lying before every launch how everything is better this time, everything is this and that, yet every single one of their games in the NRS has had a dogshit PC launch.

I can keep going but I will stop here. Yes we can blame WB for a lot of things, but NRS has been consistently making decisions with this series that to me make it become worse and worse. I'm honestly done with the series until NRS make massive changes to practically everything. They need to leave WB behind and find someone else, they need to get rid of Ed Boon, Tyler, and every other moron that green lit so many things with MK in the NRS era. It's a shame really, been overall a fun run since the 90s, but I can't waste my time any longer with this series that's consistently going out of its way to make a worse player experience with every launch.

$100 on an unfinished, shitty, beta version of a game. God damn.

Hopefully one day they can turn the series around for me, but they need to get rid of the rotten core team deep inside. Until then, I say good bye to what used to be my 2nd favorite fighting game series. This whole launch has been such a fucking embarrassment after seeing what SF6 and Capcom cooked up. To those who aren't sick of this direction more power to you honestly, I'm actually jealous. But it is what it is.
I can’t help myself to agree with this. The core team needs a change, but that’s not a guarantee plus perse. I still believe MK needs John Tobias back. Idk.. a lot has changed as well

I can’t help myself to agree with this. The core team needs a change, but that’s not a guarantee plus perse. I still believe MK needs John Tobias back. Idk.. a lot has changed as well
John tobias being back would be the best thing that can happen to mk,he was the mastermind behind the whole universe of mk,the ambience,the art direction,the world,the lore,character designs,you know that feeling when you turn on one of these old mk games,and you hear the music,the sound effects,the charcter grunts,it has so much identity and charm and that mysterious feeling,thats all johns vision.Sadly i doubt he will be back,corporate reasons and all that rubbish,among other things.

LEGEND

YES!
"The game balance if anything is too good?" Stop. Do you play online at all? Watch tournaments. You see pretty much the same few main characters with the same regurgitation of cameos.
your post has no connection to what balance is.

Online means literally nothing.

Offline tournament results have a diverse set of representation, but even then, it's not indicative of what a balanced game is necessarily. Matchups exist, and player preference as well. Sub zero and Quan are the only widely agreed upon bad characters that also haven't seen tournament success.

I actually disagree with this. In KL I see a good mix of characters. Definitly more johnnys and raidens than others but you see some good variety in between

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
John tobias being back would be the best thing that can happen to mk,he was the mastermind behind the whole universe of mk,the ambience,the art direction,the world,the lore,character designs,you know that feeling when you turn on one of these old mk games,and you hear the music,the sound effects,the charcter grunts,it has so much identity and charm and that mysterious feeling,thats all johns vision.Sadly i doubt he will be back,corporate reasons and all that rubbish,among other things.
Mike Portnoy went back to DT after all this time, so there is hope, we can dream, right? Right?