What's new

What happened at NEC...

gdf

Noob
So for someone who didn't watch NEC, what exactly happened to start this uproar of saying NRS needs to pay more attention and we need to stop bickering.
The pools for Mortal Kombat could not be streamed by spooky, because Capcom is always on stream, and Namco sponsored the tournament. Therefore they couldn't compromise either one.

That's at least what I could get from it.

Dark_Rob

Noob
The pools for Mortal Kombat could not be streamed by spooky, because Capcom is always on stream, and Namco sponsored the tournament. Therefore they couldn't compromise either one.

That's at least what I could get from it.
Close. But it was Kombat Network that wasnt allowed to stream MK, not Spooky. Spooky will be handling top 8 tommorow(hopefully)

I have a couple things in mind. Why NRS isn't supporting MK anymore. Before, the following months after release and late summer, NRS were supporting it, tweeting MK9, and showing up in streams frequently. Now, they just don't seem to be doing that anymore.

Another question: During the whole fucking weekend, Tekken/Soul Calibur wasn't streamed until fucking Sunday from what I saw, so why the hell couldn't we use that bandwidth on Saturday if the game wasn't even going to be streamed until Sunday? WTF kind of crap was that, it seemed as they just didn't want MK to be on, but I may be wrong.

Also, is it true that WB/NRS paid EVO to get MK9 on there, as the game was confirmed for EVO before it even released.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I don't think NRS themselves is completely at fault, I'm sure some of them would love to sponsor some events, but there sugar daddy WB holds all the cash in this relationship, and I very much doubt they give a shit at all about esports, outside of the free marketing EVO was for them, which they were the only fighting game publisher to NOT sponsor the event.

Justice

Noob
Yeah it's advertisement, but if they're sponsoring the event or stream it's not really free. But regardless, MK9 really doesn't need this extra advertisement like the other fighters do. MK9 always sells amazingly well, especially compared to other fighters. Last time I checked, MK9 outsold MvC3 and SSF4 AE combined! So there's no real incentive in a business perspective. The only incentive is supporting their hardcore competitive fans, which I agree they should definitely do.
And yet, EACH of those games gets 2 to 3 TIMES the players at tournaments consistantly. MK set sales records sure, but 7 months later, who is playing really other than us? The casuals have (or are about to) move on and without more gimmicks like Freddy to keep them playing, it's up to the hardcore, tournament players to keep interest alive. Out of sight, out of mind. Capcom and Namco sponsor tournaments while NRS doesn't. The math isn't hard.

I think NRS should take a look at where Nintendo is right now. They catered to the casual gamer with the release of the wii. They made their millions, created a huge demand with system shortages, but what's happening now? They can't sell anything that doesn't have Mario or Pikkachu in it! That is what catering to the casuals will do.

For me, reminding us of the sales figures is another burr in the ass. Obviously the interest is there, the $300,000,000 they grossed from game sales alone mean there's some money floating around. We are the ones keeping the franchise alive. We are the ones still playing MK2 and UMK3 at tournaments. Give us a hand!

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
MK9 deserves more respect, and to be treated better, as game and competitive value. Anyway, sucks that MK is not well seen for other communities as a potential competitive game .... NEC stream in finals showed that the hatred feeling still exist regarding MK trying to reach a place and respect as competitive game .... that's sad

Unfortunately, WB sees MK only as a franchise able to sell and guaranteed money coming from casual fans, most being just people that buy the game for fun, to execute fatalities and being happy playing ladder, or destroying cousins in friendly offline matches, in home, hehe lol :D

Offline community, who support the game in tourneys, unfortunately, seems to represent more or less 2% of total players around the world who plays MK.

There is greedy for the money only, and there is passion for a super cool game, unfortunately, there is 99% of focus in the first, by the people who have the power of decision, while the 1% left of the other factor, stay with hardcore fans who enjoy the competitive side of MK9.

Sad but true

BS3OOO

Noob
Another question: During the whole fucking weekend, Tekken/Soul Calibur wasn't streamed until fucking Sunday from what I saw, so why the hell couldn't we use that bandwidth on Saturday if the game wasn't even going to be streamed until Sunday? WTF kind of crap was that, it seemed as they just didn't want MK to be on, but I may be wrong.
Is this true?!

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The only NRS person that made me feel appreciated for what all we did was Paulo, shoutouts to him.

It would have been nice to see some comments from Ed Boon on twitter or anything else... considering this was a huge event in which players like Detroit, Morty, Bone and Pig and his crew spent hundreds of dollars to fly in, compete and support the game that is filling NRS' pockets with cash. /end rant

I'm also still just pissed at the stream... the fact that there was no stream and Mortal Kombat and the MK community was "this" close to being fucked... not on my watch, peeps. I'm sorry... I tore through the crowded room, got my phone out, send out a tweet quick and started streaming from my phone. Shoutouts to CD Jr's friend Nancy for helping not only with the tournament but helping me hold the phone to continue streaming.

What will it take?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
It would have been nice to see some comments from Ed Boon on twitter or anything else...
This is what really bugs me. Ed's always posting about some random crap on twitter, but he can't spend five minutes putting a tweet out which supports his game during his morning latte? :jerkoff:

shura30

Shura
how many entries got the mk tournament?

i think you need some inside guy at least to clarify before the event technicals such as streams
but NRS should support this game in events

i mean, they worked on patches and balances for what?nothing?
that's when they should appear as sponsors in each stream like everyone else do

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
how many entries got the mk tournament?

i think you need some inside guy at least to clarify before the event technicals such as streams
but NRS should support this game in events

i mean, they worked on patches and balances for what?nothing?
that's when they should appear as sponsors in each stream like everyone else do
84 was the official "concrete" number, I believe. Phil will be posting the pools soon as well.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
This was an organization issue. I would have been pissed if I travelled with all my gear, set to stream when I was confirmed to stream, had all my commentators lined up and then some dude comes and says I can't stream because of bandwidth and priority. There needs so be some sort of contractual obligations set. At least that way, we would know 100% in advance whether we would have to fly storms and nancy in to hold a phone. I know some things can't be helped but when you have like 800 dedicated people watching a cell phone stream you are shafting a dedicated community.

jamessmk

I am your god
Yes, while I do agree. But they get free advertisement as well as the people who are top players's continued support. Namco, Capcom, and Madcatz had a presence there. Without the offline scene many people would not have bought this game, keep in mind TYM is heart of community 5000+ strong. If, we all tell 10 friends not to buy the game, that would be 50,000 of 3 million copies not sold or roughly 300,00 dollars. Negative publicity is also contaigous

Do not push game as a tournament game and not support it. Time to man up NRS

Time to stop screwing around and support the game, that allow NRS people to eat and maintain a job from a bankrupt company

This was an organization issue. I would have been pissed if I travelled with all my gear, set to stream when I was confirmed to stream, had all my commentators lined up and then some dude comes and says I can't stream because of bandwidth and priority.
Weren't t there also organization issues on MK's end too? Didn't the pools start two hours late or something like that?

Tim Static

Adminerator
what happened to these crazy numbers of 150-200 entrants? Where was everyone?

SB:V had more for MK9, and we had to pull strings to get streamed.

This was an organization issue. I would have been pissed if I travelled with all my gear, set to stream when I was confirmed to stream, had all my commentators lined up and then some dude comes and says I can't stream because of bandwidth and priority. There needs so be some sort of contractual obligations set. At least that way, we would know 100% in advance whether we would have to fly storms and nancy in to hold a phone. I know some things can't be helped but when you have like 800 dedicated people watching a cell phone stream you are shafting a dedicated community.
Well, this isnt the first time an event was held at this venue (All Big E events are here at the same place every year: Winter Brawl, Summer Jam & NEC) so with especially knowing their was 2 big streams, it should have been pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Now the problem is that its not just SSF4 AE and UMvC3 taking stream time, it was SSF4 AE singles AND teams, and UMvC3 singles AND teams. That shit is so not necessary to be streamed.

Spooky and other streamers are contracted by these TO's to stream events that will bring the most viewers and sell whatever it is that needs to be advertised.

What we did at SB:V was almost like an episode of MacGuyver, with Rob Khonsu from Cleveland having this device which gave us a internet connection strong enough to stream with.

Sure its easy to point the fingers and blame people (all of which are well deserved) but we as a community need to keep shit positive. Im telling you, the more negative shit gets, the deeper the hole gets.