What's new

Question - Raiden What does the Raiden community want to know?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
if he has better normals and is capable of teleporting to midscreen he might well be top tier... tha tteleport is extremely good.
I imagined that what you're describing is what displacer is supposed to be. At least he'd have decent gameplan then, although we must know what other characters are capable of to talk tiers ofc.

nugava

Noob
I just want a Raiden with all his strings and pokes cancellable on block by the Teleport... That's my dream...
d1 TP
B3-TP
B31-TP
B312-TP
3-TP
33-TP
334-TP

Give me that and I'll be happy... I don't even remeber if he had that in MK9...

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I just want a Raiden with all his strings and pokes cancellable on block by the Teleport... That's my dream...
d1 TP
B3-TP
B31-TP
B312-TP
3-TP
33-TP
334-TP

Give me that and I'll be happy... I don't even remeber if he had that in MK9...
You could cancel most of those in MK9, although I don't know about d1. You are still negative if you do that though, starting from -3 for 22~tp (but who uses 2 anyways) to being -22 on b3~tp. Although it was sometimes useful to do something like 33~tp if you read attempt to armor that 33[6 or 7f?]4 gap. But otherwise teleports in CC are mostly used to escape pressure or make fully input string whiff in attempt to punish it.

Edit: although I think you could get better cancel framedata pre-nerf, even sustain some pressure maybe, but I'm not terrible aware of details. I don't even think we had decent framedata back then so that "pressure" could be just another online myth.

I imagined that what you're describing is what displacer is supposed to be. At least he'd have decent gameplan then, although we must know what other characters are capable of to talk tiers ofc.
clearly s tier, let's see if his tp has 1 frame start-up again... i am worried about the trap stance not being sufficient for counter-zoning... and the other stance lacking utility.

trufenix

bye felicia
I've seen him teleport in Thunder God, skip to 0:50 in the reveal trailer, however it could just be part of the string.
Not that it proves anything, but the "quick" movelist on the pause screen does not list teleport in his Thunder God variation. It lists:
Electric Fly (SUperman)
Lightning (Shot)
Vicinity Blast
Electrocute (Grab)
Rising Thunder (new Batgirl uppercut looking thing)

And I think someone already confirmed the Storm trap inputs are d,d+1/2/3. Or maybe that was Quan's Spells.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
1. Overheads/Lows?
2. Startup & recovery of orbs
even before going to coic con i'm 100% sure he has a first hit low string, i also recall seeing him have a first hit overhead launcher or just single move that hits overhead like his f4 in mk9 but his overhead is slow like grundy's b1 so it's not a true 50/50 but will you away with murder online.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Would like to know what does EX-Superman do. I've seen the move in Kano vs Raiden video and apparently it has some fancy animation, but damage doesn't seem to be increased. Is it armored? Something else?

Also from that video it looks like his orbs aren't really slow, but also it seems that they are pretty punishable on a read with likes of kanonball.

Also I wonder if you have to burn meter to "ignite" traps because it looks like every time in that video Raiden did it with Ex-Arc-or-whatever-replacement-for-VB-is-called.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
clearly s tier, let's see if his tp has 1 frame start-up again... i am worried about the trap stance not being sufficient for counter-zoning... and the other stance lacking utility.
its definitely 1-3 frame startup. probably 1, also its faster. i hope they make thunder god and master of storms worth it or every raiden player will just go ham with displacer.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
its definitely 1-3 frame startup. probably 1, also its faster. i hope they make thunder god and master of storms worth it or every raiden player will just go ham with displacer.
Most players will at least give Displacer a shot simply because it's pretty much classic Raiden, just with more flexible main tool. I bet he'll have fair share of fans even if he'll be hard and require good reads and smart spacing game (isn't hard to force it onto player when you can, for example, tweak framedata on this variation to prevent any thought of going yolo), no matter if he'll be good or not then.

Also I think someone said that his teleports seem to be more vulnerable on startup than in MK9 except EX Teles.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Im mostly interested how does tp work when it comes to delay. Is it like in MK9 at release or like in post-patch? By that I mean can you teleport and INSTANTLY start doing hits/combo or does it have frame delay like he does now in MK9 (aka patched). I think many raiden players, especially those who gonna main his Displacer variation like me, are interested in this.

Please answer if you noticed any delay after tp.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Im mostly interested how does tp work when it comes to delay. Is it like in MK9 at release or like in post-patch? By that I mean can you teleport and INSTANTLY start doing hits/combo or does it have frame delay like he does now in MK9 (aka patched). I think many raiden players, especially those who gonna main his Displacer variation like me, are interested in this.

Please answer if you noticed any delay after tp.
Erm... I'm pretty sure that difference between TP recovery per- and post- patch was about 4 frames.
That's with the latest patch though.

Are you saying that Raiden had safe TP upon release? I find it hard to believe. Silly as hell, not to mention that unless startup was also longer back then, it would mean block infinites everywhere.
And we didn't even have framedata back then btw...

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
I pretty sure you know what Im talking about here. Raiden's TP back in release had no such delay as it has now. My question is pretty simple, can you instantly start going into combos after teleporting or it's like now, when there's bigger delay. For example you can't instantly grab after tp now (334 tp -> electrocute), but when the game was just released you could do it, which was a big advantage for Raiden since you didn't needed to do extra hit to fallow with electrocute (334 tp , f1 -> electrocute).

Im talking about this moveset as an example: from (2:43)

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I pretty sure you know what Im talking about here. Raiden's TP back in release had no such delay as it has now. My question is pretty simple, can you instantly start going into combos after teleporting or it's like now, when there's bigger delay. For example you can't instantly grab after tp now (334 tp -> electrocute), but when the game was just released you could do it, which was a big advantage for Raiden since you didn't needed to do extra hit to fallow with electrocute (334 tp , f1 -> electrocute).
Yes, I know what you're talking about. And while I know that recovery animation was increased by like 4-5 frames in the latest patch (exactly the reason you cannot connect shocker right after 334~tp anymore), I have never heard that Raiden had no recovery on regular TP whatsoever and I highly doubt that.

Although I can say that when NRS increased recovery animation, they added those frames after reapearing flash of Raiden's TP, so that's probably what you're talking about. But that's pretty much cosmetical and doesn't actually changes anything in terms of actual frame data, so...

Also to my mind MK9 Raiden has no f1 normal, people generally do 1~, f2~ and d3~ in that combo. Not that there's a huge difference. Yes, I'm huge bore :p

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Yes exactly im interested about recovery time in MKX after tp since in 'vanilla' MK9 you could do some really heavy combos by electrocuting RIGHT after the TP.

And yeah - that's F2 in my video. Forgot my own combo lol (haven't played MK9 in a while now).

SGX

Noob
If MKX Raiden is anything like day 1 MK9 Raiden I will be so happy.

After all of the nerfs he just kinda felt like shit.

Nivek

Athena guide me, the thunder God...
F2 long 14(?) frame move but the hitbox isn't that good and b3 is a low starter..and he has and overhead b2 that is -64!!I love this number!!
edit: b3 = 12frame

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Am I the only one who never had much of a problem fighting Raiden in early MK9? I just think most people were total pussies. Raiden was that super ridiculous OP character that placed in literally like... One goddamn major. I swore up and down for like... Ever that the character wasn't even truly/was just barely top ten BEFORE the two frame teleport nerf. And I was so fucking right. He was just the ultimate troll character. Reminded me of SFIV Dictator but way more streamlined and efficient. But whatever, this is very four years ago.

Insert something relevant here.