What's new

What does MKX needs to be a successful game?

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
  1. Stop bitching about every little thing.
  2. Don't let characters like MK9 Kuh-Bawl scare you. Learn the MU.
  3. Don't let the game die after a year or so because we see the same characters in Top 4. Just look at what 16-Bit did with Catwoman. Learn the MUs.
  4. When NRS stops listening to the casuals.
  5. Keep playing MKX after Injustice 2 drops.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I personally think that Mk needs more defensive options. Games like GG have faultless block, burst, alpha counters, and blitz shield.Even injustice had more room to outplay the opponent to me compared to MK9. I feel having some type of defensive mechanism besides armor that allows for outplay potential is needed

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I think not having a truckload of broken characters would help: e.g. vanilla Cyrax, vanilla Kabal, vanilla Superman, vanilla Black Adam. The corollary to that, though, is that machine gun patches are an awful idea because they deny the game the chance to grow. I really think that the testers and the quality control department will have a huge role to play in the life of MKX: we know it's going to be fun, we know it's going to be successful but whether or not it's elevated to the pantheon of truly great fighting games, like Tekken 3 or various SF titles, depends on if the initial balance is somewhat competent because the two extremes are equally bad.

If the characters are broken and overpowered, no amount of 'learn the MU' will help: I'm not talking vanilla Deathstroke or Killer Frost, I mean vanilla Superman who reduced the game to eye laser and F23. Ditto Cyrax, who had more infinites than Sheeva had combos. You can't just ignore the problems a game has in that state On the other hand, firing out patches every week isn't going to help because it denies the game the room to grow. If I had to choose, I'd say having overpowered characters is the lesser of two evils because we know NRS games always finish their lifespans with a few massively overpowered characters: Kabal, Cyrax, Kung Lao, Kenshi, Sonya, MMH, Aquaman, Batgirl. But if NRS can hit a balance and a somewhat competently balanced game to give it the room to grow, MKX could be something very special indeed.

It'll also help if NRS don't listen to casuals. I know they buy more copies as a market than the likes of the serious players, but how many of them will still be playing it when the new COD or FIFA or Madden drops? They'll leave once other people level up and their cheap shit doesn't work anymore so if NRS just ignores some of their more butthurt complaints: Deathstroke's guns, for instance, while annoying as fuck, made him a good character, not broken. Raiden's teleport, while annoying as fuck, made him a good character, arguably top 5, but nowhere near as broken as Cyrax.

Personally, I'm dreading that we'll get a gamut of patches initially: if Erron Black is in and has a gun variation, expect the nerfhammer

It will likely be a financial success because of the name "Mortal Kombat" and the fact its the first MK game for the current next gen consoles. That and marketing.

In terms of tournaments, well that is down to the community, is it not?

if the game is solid and doesn't have kabals fucking shit up, i probably will not even try injustice 2. gonna just play and support mkx and sf5.

@Eji1700 Honestly I thought KI's tutorial was great but maybe it was just me.
New or old? I haven't played new KI so I couldn't comment, and honestly I vaguely remember the old KI tutorial being decent, but I don't remember it teaching the underlying game. Shit like why you need to block, block strings, how mixups are used to open people up, etc. So many tutorials are just guided practice modes topped off with lousy stock combos.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Just for the record: "MOBAs" aren't exceptional in terms of connection quality (not necessarily devs' fault), they just aren't FGs where the difference between 0.12 and 1.153 matters up to several times per minute during active gameplay.

To address an actual question question of yours a bit, we just don't know. We can see that MKX is active on Steam now, so they are probably doing something with netplay. But what do we know? All we are told about (in terms of online, at least) are mostly gimmicks and things that aren't that relevant to gameplay.

I know they buy more copies as a market than the likes of the serious players, but how many of them will still be playing it when the new COD or FIFA or Madden drops?
Unfortunately that doesn't matter. MK doesn't apparently have anything to keep cash flowing after initial purchases are made. So it doesn't even matter if the game is launched at all after it is bought.

Raiden's teleport, while annoying as fuck, made him a good character, arguably top 5, but nowhere near as broken as Cyrax.
That is unless it is true that vanilla Raiden had block infinites. We probably won't know.
As for DS, I still think he's kinda fine (could use a touch maybe, but that's it), it's just there are many characters being out of whack compared to likes of him.

Last edited:
The Conan video where he plays MKX with those 2 football players has over 10 million views and is his second most watched video on his channel. I also think you can't pre-order those editions of the game that come with the statue's (Boon had pictures up of the editions with sold out on em).

The game is already succesfull.

I live in the Netherlands, so my internet-connection is amazing. But I think that if they want to have MKX to be really succesfull (casuals playing it more then 1-2 months)they should make sure online works great (wich is a flaw I hear often about). And maybe since you can stream and record stuff on the ps4 (I think), allow people to record combo's and put them somewhere in the training mode. So If I want to play Kano for example I can just look up the highest voted combo's and practice them like you can practice fatalities in MK9.

New or old? I haven't played new KI so I couldn't comment, and honestly I vaguely remember the old KI tutorial being decent, but I don't remember it teaching the underlying game. Shit like why you need to block, block strings, how mixups are used to open people up, etc. So many tutorials are just guided practice modes topped off with lousy stock combos.
New, and it does teach you that stuff. It really is great, you should look it up on youtube or something.

A great balance, like they did in injustice or better, so we allways get to see different top 8s instead of Kabal Kenshi Lao Cyrax and Kitana in top 8s, give the game a chance to evolve, not over patching it too soon, only if the bugs or glitches are too broke to stay in the game, solid net code, again they did very good with injustice, even tho I didnt like the game I played over 1000 online matches and it was smooth not like MK9 that had horrid net code, and people over abused lag tactics. We all know maybe some characters will have useless variations, as long as atleast 1 of the variantions can compete at hight level the character wont suck. Also maybe patch the game every year or so like SF4 get some extra money like UMKX or something like that.

Well if you look at why Super smash brothers Melee has survived for over 14 years and can bring in 1,000 entrants at nationals. It has no online, it has no developer support until recently where to promote Smash4, they sponsor melee/smash4.

The game design is ultimately a reason the game lives long. Make the gap between control of your character to the decisions and options you can cover so huge, that it feels like you improve w/o any limits. Make sure the game's offense abilities are on par with the defense abilities. constant action is what makes matches hype.

During MK9's time my favorite matches were when characters were constantly pressuring eachother. like Tyrant vs Dizzy @ MLG. Zoning characters do not get people that excited. Not saying don't have them in the game, but I say get their ability to zone out have more layers, and make their upclose game manage-able so they aren't 100% afraid at all times to fight upclose. The zoning characters in melee/BB for example have cool tools to keep people out but their upclose abilities aren't COMPLETELY lacking either.

Give the player something to do while they are being combo'd. One of the things melee has over every other fighting game is Directional Influence, it's where you control your characters trajectory while being combo'd. Most other fighting games once you get combo'd that's it. You get pulled form the experience of the game for a short period. Same reason people were upset about stage transitions during Injustice hoping they don't get "too cinematic"

while cool for casuals not good for long term play.

Just want to add that mini support like "skins/storypack/ Ultimate version later/ or constant patches" are a semi-cop out way of retaining your attention to the game.

TLDR
1.) needs to have extreme amounts of depth and layers so it feels like there is no limit to how good you can get.
2.) If the game is good enough people will gather for it with or without online.
3.) Each match you see needs to seem exciting and fresh. like no 2 matches look the same. Being watchable is a factor.(Things like vortex destroy this because When you see a scorpion vortex its hardly ever any different. Becomes stale to see.)
4.) Control over your character needs to be more complete and LESS restrictive. That way when we see movement/footsies you should be able to tell whos playing by their movement/option choices.
5.) Keep the player able to do things with their character as much as possible. Even if its timing something while being combo'd to increase gravity, or maybe even reduce damage, or decrease gravity to mix up the opponents combo timings. This makes combos much more exciting because every combo will be different because you'll have to react to your opponents tricks with their gravity manipulation. If you're thinking(why not try to increase gravity all the time?) well maybe if you increase gravity and you hit the ground you don't get a wake-up attack so your opponent can stop his combo let you fall and get a free mix up.) not saying my idea is a good idea. but I'm sure we could come up with some way to make it so comboing is more sandboxish.