What's new

What does it mean "MK/Injustice looks clunky"

It doesn't "look" clunky to me but it can feel clunky at times. Like doing a d4. It's like crouch has startup frames and if you do the 4 too quickly you get a standing 4 even though you were technically pressing d4. That is clunk to me.

Also, with block having startup frames, it's possible to react to an attack in time to get your finger down on the block button before the attacking moves active frame comes out, yet since you were in your block startup frames you still get hit. That is clunk to me as well.

I think it's the combination of super slow and super fast animations. Take Scorpions b2; the animation itself is rather slow, but the opponent bouncing off the ground happens so fast that you can barley see it. It's jarring.

"Clunky" isn't the word I would use to describe Injustice, but there is something off about the animations. Maybe they're still being fine-tuned. Or maybe I just need to get used to it.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I'm so sick of the NRS games being labeled clunky. Every fighting game I've ever played felt clunky when I first picked it up. Unless I picked some super fast scrubby button mashing character. But after playing it for an hour it starts to get easier and it clicks. I just think these self proclaimed fighting game gurus are butt hurt that a 2D fighter plays and feels a little different than Marvel and SF so they find some pathetic term to label it.

McNasty

Moist.
To me it all revolves around animation speed cause there are differences in how "clunky" characters are in the same game. Examples of this would be:
Sheeva vs cage, kitana, or sonya
sheeva is like driving and armored car vs a ferrari that is any of the other characters.

Its all relative though because in mvc there are still slow clunky characters.
Ie: hulk, thor, nemisis vs dr strange, strider, magneto

Animation speed vs animation fluidity according to how someone interprets how it should look.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I like the MK stances.. ;_;

That said, MK feels weighted, not clunky. I like that it feels meaty when you hit somebody.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Finally someone gets it.

It looks exactly like MK9. As if they just re-skinned the models with DC characters and called it a day. Catwoman reminds me an awful like Mileena and Katana combined. Then there's Nightwing who is basically Jade. Lol. NRS is lazy and should be belted publicly for their ACT UP.

Despite all of this however, the game will be great casual fun. It will be embarrassing to see it on the competitive circuit though, just like how MK9 was a joke.
Okay, you are honestly getting annoying. This was cute for about 2 posts, but now it's really dumb to see posts like this after a while, because it's all you're posting, ever since you returned to the site.

I'm only saying this once. Stop. It's nothing but trolling anyway and tbh, should've been nipped in the butt from the start.

Reactions: RYX

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Why has nobody mentioned the fact that MK/Injustice is mocapped? That leads to the "clunkyness" I think. Capcom draws their animations so they seem more fluid. But in my opinion, it is purely aesthetic; you can get used to either style. MK did seem heavy or clunky at first but I didn't notice after a little while.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Why has nobody mentioned the fact that MK/Injustice is mocapped? That leads to the "clunkyness" I think. Capcom draws their animations so they seem more fluid. But in my opinion, it is purely aesthetic; you can get used to either style. MK did seem heavy or clunky at first but I didn't notice after a little while.
Pretty much this. The animations are "clunky" particularly due to the fact that the animations were mocapped and have a sense of realism, for lack of better words.

It's like converting anime to live productions, motion for motion. You know how the animations look clean and epic in the anime, but if someone were to try to reproduce the motions to the T, it looks absolutely awkward? That's pretty much the same effect.

Briyen

Noob
its pretty obvoius, its cause all the frames for injustice/mk moves are lengthier, thats why they think clunky

they want their moves to come out as fast as they press them

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
IMO the game doesn't look clunky, in fact. I LOVE how strings transitions into specials.It looks VERY fluid.

However, play Reptile then try to do constant staggered 3s, 32s D3, D4, etc. Sometimes, it doesn't come out when it's supposed to.

Another thing, when you get the input bug, or negative edge messed up your move.It certainly will feel clunky while pissing you off at the same time.

Now, take all that, and bring in the online lag.

The only clunky ness in MK I felt, was, just due to strings. You can't do what you want in MK, you can only manipulate predetermined the strings/specials so to speak, in Persona, it has more freedom.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Okay, you are honestly getting annoying. This was cute for about 2 posts, but now it's really dumb to see posts like this after a while, because it's all you're posting, ever since you returned to the site.

I'm only saying this once. Stop. It's nothing but trolling anyway and tbh, should've been nipped in the butt from the start.
Recycled animations from MK9 due to laziness is why it's clunky. Hold that.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
They may not be really slick, but it's all they had time to do. Midway went down. WB picked em up, and they had to make something happen because this gen only had three years left. They had no choice but to recycle stuff, some of which probably isn't the best quality, but it is what it is. I don't like the animations but it was that or no game. Hopefully they'll really push this gen. The clunkiness comes from not having enough time to spend on refining minor details for each character. For that you really need a big team, and time.
Good point.
Well at least you're smarter than THTB.