What's new

What do you think is the likelihood of Johnny & Sonya being playable in MKX?

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I dont mind the new ones but most of us play/like MK for its iconic chars.

A MK game without Reptile, Smoke, Mileena, Kitana, KL, Ermac, Noob and Kabal isnt a MK game imo.
They were all new characters at one point. How can you except the story and lore to progress without new characters to flesh it out. I'm pretty sure Forrest Fox will be a character as well.

I'd bet money at least one of them is dead, and by kano's hands, thus giving cassie purpose and drive. That said quan+MK so nothing is out even then.

Still if i had to pick, I'd say sonya is dead because Cassie's moveset seems a little too close to her style, and johnny died last time. Further you want a decent amount of gender diversity amongst the cast, and having two women who are likely going to look the same(since, you know, they're related) limits her chances as well.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
having two women who are likely going to look the same(since, you know, they're related) limits her chances as well.
But, Kitana, Mileena, and Jade looked as similar as similar could look for many years. :confused:

Not that I disagree with your theory, just the reasoning behind it.

They were all new characters at one point. How can you except the story and lore to progress without new characters to flesh it out. I'm pretty sure Forrest Fox will be a character as well.
Yes they were all new at some point indeed, but at times where MK was establishing as a popular game ( 90's ). This is why these fighters became iconic, and nearly none of the 3d ones did.

This is why these fighters became iconic, and nearly none of the 3d ones did.
3d games were poverty mode, thats why most of the chars are shit, even boon doesnt like them. now that they have a solid budget, there is potential to create a lot of good characters, with interesting designs and styles.

I think it's more of a they should give characters another chance. Some of these characters we've been waiting for to be given a in depth story, instead of being tossed like a fucking ragdoll to the side like Reptile was in MK9.

3d games were poverty mode, thats why most of the chars are shit, even boon doesnt like them. now that they have a solid budget, there is potential to create a lot of good characters, with interesting designs and styles.
Ι agree. I used this argument to prove something about the past, not to underrate the new characters. It's all about right timing, and maybe this is a nice point for a next generation of icons. We can all see Kotal becoming an icon in the future, and also Cassie because of her legacy.

But, Kitana, Mileena, and Jade looked as similar as similar could look for many years. :confused:

Not that I disagree with your theory, just the reasoning behind it.
They got away with pallet swaps in the early years(although they were criticized for it), but with MK9 especially(and arguably as early as DA) they've tried to always differentiate the "clone" characters. Just look at the differences between ermac/sub/scorp, and the female ninjas were no different. Arguably the only visual clones they kept were sektor and cyrax, and even then they bothered to give sektor shoulder pads and cyrax other small visual differences. As for the women they've looked distinctly different since DA as well with various changes to both costumes and physical proportions.

Sonya could still make it, but i'd say the logic isn't very flawed at this point.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
They got away with pallet swaps in the early years(although they were criticized for it), but with MK9 especially(and arguably as early as DA) they've tried to always differentiate the "clone" characters. Just look at the differences between ermac/sub/scorp, and the female ninjas were no different. Arguably the only visual clones they kept were sektor and cyrax, and even then they bothered to give sektor shoulder pads and cyrax other small visual differences. As for the women they've looked distinctly different since DA as well with various changes to both costumes and physical proportions.

Sonya could still make it, but i'd say the logic isn't very flawed at this point.
I don't think it would be any different than say, Michelle and Julia from Tekken or Terry and Rock (KOF). She already doesn't look like a Sonya clone and being that they have a "25 years time span" to work with they could easily adjust Sonya's appearance to be even more distant from Cassie's. Sonya/Cassie would have different physical proportions like you stated, a different look, different outfits, different combos, etc.

Mother/daughter and father/son is in almost every fighter, and in some they look even more similar than these two would. On top of that the marketing aspect to the casual fan works. I have a friend who plays casually and when I told him his first response was how he's playing with her. It works as a selling point.

Me personally, I'm of the opinion that one of Johnny/Sonya will be back but not both. With the massive amount of male reveals I'm beginning to think Sonya is staying.