What's new

What do you look for in a character

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
When I look at videos before a game releases, there are a few aesthetic things I look for to decide the crop of characters I'm going to try first.

1. Ninja or ninja esque
2. Manipulates lightning and/or ice
3. Wields a kitana and/or throwing knives

If you have one of these things, you're in definite consideration.

Then when I start playing the game, I have some playstyle requirements to decide who I wanna main.

1. Character does a lot of damage
2. They have a good projectile
3. They have above average mobility

If you have 2 of those 3 things, I'm pretty much sold.

Occasionally though, a character comes along that meets few or none of these things that I just find to be awesome.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Ooh I'll also learn a character that can combo out of their xray for swag

Johnny, Shang, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, green arrow, Harley, etc

Justice

Warrior
I have a simple philosophy: pick the character with the biggest bewbz and you'll find the hardest character to play in the game. It's true. I think it's an inside joke amongst developers "Hehehe lookee da bewbiez! Hehehehehe! Oh wait! We'd better make her hard to play or we'll get flamed for being sexist!" Catwoman in Injustice, Sonya in MK9, Sarah Bryant in VF, Ivy in Soul Caliber; hell, even old school Chun Li was a pain in the ass back in the day.

I do tend to gravitate towards female characters but that's mainly because I prefer the faster characters. Also, if I'm spending hours upon hours playing a game, I want to have something nice to look at. I don't know about you guys, but I kinda like looking at pretty things. Just sayin.

I also tend to pick kombo monsters because I seem to like to press buttons more than I should so I figure that if I'm supposed to press a lot of buttons, that will help.

Mixed in with all this, the character must be visually exciting. I have real issues with getting bored. I can be in the middle of doing something and be bored. For example, since I'm not a huge DC fan overall but am a casual fan of Batman and Superman, I would most likely have chosen one of those to main until I saw Catwoman. First off, I love the character, always have. Then I saw her gameplay. Those kombos were nutz! The only time I questioned my loyalty was when Hawkgirl was revealed. Those trailers made her look pretty sick to me.