What's new

What do people mean by "gimmick" game play?

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I hear this on youtube vids, on twitch, etc.
Recent nickops video he says FT2 is conducive to scrub out-gimmicking you, which I understand implicitly. But what exactly IS gimmick game play in this game.
I've had a few people message me on KL after a win saying "you play like a P***Y", "you're a spammer" and what not.

Personally I try to adjust in any random unpredictable way possible if I know I'm playing someone I have a chance to get a W with. Sometimes I'll go a round where I'm not doing ANY combos, I'll just throw at every possible moment. Poke throw, throw after a hit confirm of a mid, stagger throw, poke poke throw. Then I switch it up. Is that a gimmick? My character has 2 throw Kb's so I feel like "Throwing is encouraged" for him.

IMO Mk11 is pretty balanced overall and each character has certain strategies they employ to maximize their effectiveness. Kung laos jump, Jades D2, etc. I hate it when people complain about gimmick Jade's using D2. Why would these players not use their best button? It's madness to think they'll not use it, especially if the opponent can't adjust.

What do yall consider gimmick game play? Is most of it hot air and salt? One thing I can say honestly is the player that over-jumps, i will consider gimmick game play. But I've adjusted to that decently well since the early days.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Gimmicky usually meaning it womt work for more than a few matches. Usually oddball, risky playstyles get called gimmicky.

Zer0_h0ur

Gimmicky usually meaning it womt work for more than a few matches. Usually oddball, risky playstyles get called gimmicky.
So like a Kano d1 d1 d1 kano ball on block for example?
I'm just curious for more specific examples bc I see the term thrown out all the time.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What do yall consider gimmick game play?

Hard to pin down. I generally consider it to be doing an unsafe move repeatedly due to the opponent having a difficult time correctly punishing, making the move appear to be safer than it is.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
So like a Kano d1 d1 d1 kano ball on block for example?
I'm just curious for more specific examples bc I see the term thrown out all the time.
Could be, I guess. I dont play kombat league and just run sets mostly. I dont really run into these issues much because I dont find 2 and run in mixed connections to be entertaining.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
One example would be if you played a Raiden, and they constantly ended every string cancelling into Storm Cell. Storm Cell has 3 hits, the last of which is a high and can be fairly easily ducked and punished, but if the opponent blocks it Raiden is safe.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Recent nickops video he says FT2 is conducive to scrub out-gimmicking you, which I understand implicitly. But what exactly IS gimmick game play in this game.
I've had a few people message me on KL after a win saying "you play like a P***Y", "you're a spammer" and what not.

Personally I try to adjust in any random unpredictable way possible if I know I'm playing someone I have a chance to get a W with. Sometimes I'll go a round where I'm not doing ANY combos, I'll just throw at every possible moment. Poke throw, throw after a hit confirm of a mid, stagger throw, poke poke throw. Then I switch it up. Is that a gimmick? My character has 2 throw Kb's so I feel like "Throwing is encouraged" for him.

IMO Mk11 is pretty balanced overall and each character has certain strategies they employ to maximize their effectiveness. Kung laos jump, Jades D2, etc. I hate it when people complain about gimmick Jade's using D2. Why would these players not use their best button? It's madness to think they'll not use it, especially if the opponent can't adjust.

What do yall consider gimmick game play? Is most of it hot air and salt? One thing I can say honestly is the player that over-jumps, i will consider gimmick game play. But I've adjusted to that decently well since the early days.
I actually have a good example of a gimmick that might help you define it. D'vorah can cancel her f2, f22, b3, and 4 into her air grab and only be slightly more negative than usual when she does it. But due to unfamiliarity, this can at times be more effective than a straight up stagger, because they have to react to something different. There is no reason whatsoever it should work on anyone...ever. But it can be great for stealing turns. If someone commits or reacts well, you can end up full combo punished. It is a pure gimmick and relies entirely on lack of matchup knowledge and people not expecting it.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep, it's the surprise factor, that once figured out how to be dealt with, won't work out anymore, rsrsrs

Zer0_h0ur

Gimmicks are any fighting game strategy that you could use to steal a win from someone in a short set, but wouldn't hold up in a longer set once it gets figured out. Basically the entithesis of a solid strategy.
Are they still gimmicks if they're used temporarily to win some games in a longer set?

I saw Koisy FT10 with Train, and their first FT10 at about 5-5 Koisy started JIK like crazy and Train never adjusted. He didn't stop and ended up winning 10-5.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
One example would be if you played a Raiden, and they constantly ended every string cancelling into Storm Cell. Storm Cell has 3 hits, the last of which is a high and can be fairly easily ducked and punished, but if the opponent blocks it Raiden is safe.
Well it pretty much is a gimmick to end string into stormcell but its such a bad gimmick that its kinda hard to call it one :p

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Are they still gimmicks if they're used temporarily to win some games in a longer set?

I saw Koisy FT10 with Train, and their first FT10 at about 5-5 Koisy started JIK like crazy and Train never adjusted. He didn't stop and ended up winning 10-5.
JIK is not a gimmick. It's a fundamental part of the game.

And yes, gimmicks are pretty much that, temporary and easily beatable but might work in certain circumstances.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
It's a risky tactic that banks on your opponents lack of matchup knowledge or their inability to react/adapt

D1 xx Nutpunch is the classic MK gimmick. Using F4 xx Lightning Cell as a poking tool. F24 xx Unblockable with Kotal. D4 xx Death Spin

Vanilla Scorpion using amp teleport on block to try and catch people is a great example of a gimmick since you can time your punish to react to the amplify

Also NickOpz is a dummy. Hes like the quinnessential online warrior

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Gimmicks are any fighting game strategy that you could use to steal a win from someone in a short set, but wouldn't hold up in a longer set once it gets figured out. Basically the entithesis of a solid strategy.
...and relies entirely on lack of matchup knowledge and people not expecting it.
These. Qwark and Second Saint put it perfectly. To put it another way, a gimmick is a tactic that is generally NOT a good idea due to its inherent risk level, but can be used wildly for the surprise factor. Gimmicks aren't a bad idea to use sometimes, but they're definitely a much higher risk choice than anything else.

Another example would be people doing unsafe specials during poke wars, such as throwing out D3/D4 and canceling immediately into an unsafe special (Geras puddle, Kabal hook slam, Kitana low fan, Jade butterfly, etc.). FANTASTIC tactic if you've learned that the opponent always, without fail, throws out their own poke the second they're done blocking yours. After one or two times catching them like this, it's no longer a fantastic tactic cause they've likely adapted and you'll just get yourself combo punished if you do it again.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
D1xx something is not a gimmnick . itsLegitimate way to make someone scared to poke back . cetrion d1 wall baraka d1 chop chop shang d4 erupion and so on . When they respect it you can steall ur turn and go for d1 throw or something

For me gimmnick is something that appears to be good and even overpowered . Some setup / tactic which can be easly escaped but due to lack of knowladge of other player it works . Or he just got suprised by it . Tyipiccaly it only works one time vs good players .

Perfect example would be kotals unblockable sword hit done after string on block .

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
It refers to technique which may catch the opponent offguard or may be "hard-to-blockable" but after adequate labwork or the plain recognition of the "gimmick" - the tricky part that catches you - it will no longer ever be effective henceforth.
Jade's Untamabe b2124 is a gimmick for example. It goes High, mid, low, overhead overhead. Once you learn to block it, it's useless and can be jumped out of

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)

A gimmick us something that's completely punishable has low reward and high risk but the opponent isn't punishing.
Example D1xxKanoBall he risks himself doing that s because he only gets a bit of damage compared to the whopping 30+% he loses when they block the ball.

JIK's can be gimicks as well. An empty jump used from max range usually can't be converted off and doesn't lead into high plus frames and for the most part can be trip guarded easily but yet people fall for it.
Different from a perfectly timed and spaced JIK with a character that has a top 3 JIK (Baraka).

I have no doubt certain people will misuse the term on twitter, TYM and Reddit but its just something very risky that has low reward and should be punishable.
Like doing Kotals Unblockable Ground Pound in neutral (its 40+ frame startup and nearly 60f recovery) but some people get caught off guard sometimes.

Zer0_h0ur

I agree with everything most have said. Always thought it a gimmick was a risky tactic, but never get mad at it because it's mostly on me for not labbing and understanding the matchup better. Raiden's Storm Cell a perfect example. Shit used to frustrate me until I learned I can let go of block half way thru and punish.

I feel like strategic usage of a "gimmick" in any set, Ft2 or Ft10 is a viable strategy. Like a change-up to throw your opponent off guard.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
A gimmick is fake pressure. So it's a series of moves that don't link (combo) or don't jail, but if someone isn't blocking, it'll get them.

So like for example, with Cassie sometimes I catch people with a D4 into low gunshots. Those tho moves don't link but if someone mashes or just doesn't block because they're not expecting it then it'll catch them off guard. Once they figure it out tho, they can punish you for it.

That's why it's called a gimmick.

A real simple explanation is a gimmick is a move/combo/special move that you can avoid. Usually just comes down to match up knowledge cuz It isn’t a real thing. Like people mentioned kotal doing something on block into his unblockable. You can jump out of it, it’s not real.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
One thing about gimmicks is that a lot can take advantage of poor online connections. Things that anyone could react to offline become for viable online due to lag.

I would say that a gimmick is something that only really works if the opponent isn't aware of it. It's very useful if the guy doesn't know about it, but becomes kind of useless if they do.

As a trivially basic example, take Scorpion's ability to teleport in the middle of a jump. If someone is unaware that he can do that and tries to anti-air, he teleports behind them and hits them with a combo. If the person is aware, then he's ready for that and punishes the teleport for a full combo himself.