What's new

What do I need to be focusing on to really get good with Kabal?

McNasty

Moist.
helps to take a step back and think about how you approach certain match ups try and think outside of "ndc iagb" and all that and boil it down to basics. Am I showing my opponent too much respect or not enough? Was I at the proper distance for x if he does y? Was I baited? Did I fall for some gimmicks? Did I adapt correctly the next round? I also recomend watching as much footage as possible to take away pieces of others gameplay to incorporate into your own, big or small.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
helps to take a step back and think about how you approach certain match ups try and think outside of "ndc iagb" and all that and boil it down to basics. Am I showing my opponent too much respect or not enough? Was I at the proper distance for x if he does y? Was I baited? Did I fall for some gimmicks? Did I adapt correctly the next round? I also recomend watching as much footage as possible to take away pieces of others gameplay to incorporate into your own, big or small.
More solid advice, thank you very much dude, like I said, I'm gonna post some video if me and my buddy playing, and I do watch allot of footage to try and take in everything I can. I feel like my main problems are match ups and footsies in general.

representing SVK

SquirtMcGirt

Alright! Me and my side street sweep have a Camcorder and will be recording matches today and finally posting them so when they are up let me have it lol

representing SVK

Shady

Noob
Execution.... After MLG Columbus I pretty much stopped playing any other character and focused on Kabal. Now he ain't too shabby... Gonna be at VSM this week to get him all blown up by the killers though.

SquirtMcGirt

Here's me getting blown up by Johnny cage we were just testing the camera out I'll post more later.
representing SVK

If anyone got tips for me please post them also I'm the cage
kabal- nice gameplay, it just seems like you don't know how to fight cage, seeing as you were throwing out 2 ndcs and they were whiffing. just practice the matchup and ull be fine.
cage- good overall, threw out some unsafe nutpunches that didnt seem to get punished much.

always down to play online (gt is my user)

SquirtMcGirt

kabal- nice gameplay, it just seems like you don't know how to fight cage, seeing as you were throwing out 2 ndcs and they were whiffing. just practice the matchup and ull be fine.
cage- good overall, threw out some unsafe nutpunches that didnt seem to get punished much.

always down to play online (gt is my user)
Sweet, I know about the match up, I'm actually trying to aa the jump out from ndc pressure. But that's only cause I'm expecting him to try and jump out, thats probably not a good thing. I also noticed I need to stop trying to knee as much after a blocked d+1. And let me add, people that complain about kabals zoning and ndc’s should stop because my friend handles them fine. It actually makes me a little salty cause it seems almost effortless for him to bypass them lol

representing SVK

Skitzo

Noob
It seems effortless because you make it too easy for him to get in on you. Zone smartly, yes you got projectiles but when he gets closer, use your sweep & b2 as footsies. b2 gives a bit pushback on block, safe, & can be linked into the 50/50. ndc can be used as footsies from a distance too to keep him in check, you shouldn't be trying to pressure cage EVER. Reset him & do a f32 into your 50/50 & back off. No need to stay in.

Shady

Noob
A. You got too reliant in EX-NDC and he started reading that, a good way to blow up that habit for people is rather than just letting EX-NDC go on wake up in close quarter situations is to cancel it into more block-string NDC pressure. That way even if they try and read or attack you basically do it as a flash parry and get full combo. If they don't you got free chip NDC pressure (and that's a worst case scenario here).

B. Kabal really needs to adjust his gameplan depending on the match-up. Some character's he can't zone as well, others he can't use all his pressure tools on, you need to know which match-ups those are and be ready to react accordingly. Cage, zoning. iAGBs and Ground Saws to keep him out and sweep once he gets closer. Sweep is a very underrated tool in this game, especially against Cage. When he's just out of reach he will try to advancing special right in on you or D1 dash on your iAGBs... Sweep him at the right time and then zone.

C. More mix ups with the NDC pressure, not just 2NDC and 111NDC do 11B4 NDC, 11Overhead, 11saw, B12 NDC, B1NDC, B12Saw, F3 NDC, F2 Overhead, F2 Saw, F32 NDC etc etc etc.... you get me? It's all about mix ups, it's all about making the opponent guess wrong because of the sheer amount of options. If you know they will poke the NDC? Commit, make them eat it, make them second guess all the shit they got.

D. Meter building, this is the most important one, Kabal can always build meter. At full screen, NDC between some iAGBs for extra. After you spin them at least one NDC each time to build meter. In mid air, kick into iAGB or punch into iAGB before you F4 NDC. Work on the execution for everything.

I'm not really the best Kabal out there (probably not even close), but i went from not being able to do shit like B1 NDC 2 NDC 2 F4, and B121 F4 NDC 2 NDC 2NDC 2 F4.... to pulling them off in matches at about 80% rate and improving. It's all about execution at the end of the day.

Don't forget your good D3 poke in NDC pressure.

Lulzlou

Noob
You can't be afraid to zone more, who cares if it makes you look like a dick. If you can hold your own up close, you should zone as much as you want.

But yes, its all about execution. I may make a video/thread on how I trained for NDC pressure. It actually helped me so much when I started to train this way. My offline pressure improved so much because of it. If I notice you are falling for something, I abuse that and mix it up until you punish me one time. Then I do something completely different.

Edit: Study the frame data like its your religion

Pressure.

You need to work on your strings, don't just go auto f3 2, you have to mix it up. B1, b12, f3, 2 ndc, etc.

IAGB are a huge part of Kabal's zoning.. Like the videos you need to work on it but it seems like you have it down.

Learn the matchups, never underestimate an opponent, no matter what character he/she is using.

Eh.. I could write a bit more but I'm fucking stoned, lol.

SquirtMcGirt

Thank you all for the advice, its all very helpful. I have been using the f+3,2 string because of the range. My buddy always tells me to mix it up more as well, but I generally start my pressure with f+3 or f +3,2 because it hits everybody. I am actually very good at ndc pressure even if the video evidence is against that lol ( streetsweep187 back me up there lol). I know sweep is good, I'll have to incorporate that more as it knocks down and let's me back off when I need too. As far as zoning goes though I don't do it that often because 1) I have been trying to understand kabals mid range game a little better and 2) I always get blown the fuck up for it lol. Streetsweep is amazing at avoiding it cause I have been using kabal since just after last evo and he's had to deal with it (he is really until recently the only person I have been playing with offline) and iagb.. the new ps2 controller I got is a little finicky from the left side, those will smooth out as the controller breaks in a bit more hopefully if not I gotta get a new one lol.

representing SVK

streetsweep187

Kneel before me
Squirtmcgirt187 is in fact very good a NDC pressure ...I often have a hard time poking and often have to jump out and pray he don't do a standing 2 lol

We are going to start a TMP SVK thred and put matches up from our weekly meetups :) then u guys will get to see how our matches are when we play people like THTB Michelangelo and more....