What's new

What do I need to be focusing on to really get good with Kabal?

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
I can ndc like a beast, i can iagb like a mother fucker, but i feel like i really have just ran gasmask first into a blocking opponent when it comes to my game play. I know I have some bad habits as a player (like jumping to advance, using meter poorly at times ect.) But I just feel like even if I fixed that stuff I would still suck. Any suggestions? What makes your Kabal a demon?

representing SVK

Lulzlou

Noob
you need to put as many hours playing real people as you do a training dummy
This 100%

Also what helped me out was stop zoning in casuals. It exposed my bad habits and I've been slowly trying to fix them. Focus strictly on footsies. Keep putting yourself in situations where you don't feel comfortable with and eventually you'll see your bad habits and fix them.

Doing that will cause you to lose a lot of games. Push your ego to the side and worry about getting it down. The problem most kabal's have starting out, imo, is focusing on zoning a bit too much. If you don't have a good footsie game, you wont go that far in a tournament. Gas Blast and saws will only get you so far.

Instead of doing auto-pilot zoning and pressure, try to really understand everything. You'll notice a difference trust me on that one.

I'm not a good kabal though. I just play him and do my best to level up and win.

You cannot give up if it takes you awhile. I've been playing him since feb and I'm finally coming close to understanding footsies with kabal.

SquirtMcGirt

This 100%

Also what helped me out was stop zoning in casuals. It exposed my bad habits and I've been slowly trying to fix them. Focus strictly on footsies. Keep putting yourself in situations where you don't feel comfortable with and eventually you'll see your bad habits and fix them.

Doing that will cause you to lose a lot of games. Push your ego to the side and worry about getting it down. The problem most kabal's have starting out, imo, is focusing on zoning a bit too much. If you don't have a good footsie game, you wont go that far in a tournament. Gas Blast and saws will only get you so far.

Instead of doing auto-pilot zoning and pressure, try to really understand everything. You'll notice a difference trust me on that one.

I'm not a good kabal though. I just play him and do my best to level up and win.

You cannot give up if it takes you awhile. I've been playing him since feb and I'm finally coming close to understanding footsies with kabal.
That's good stuff right there! Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!

representing SVK

AC1984

Kaballin!
This 100%

What's a good footsie game?

SquirtMcGirt

Would it help if i posted a video of me playing some matches offline? I just feel stuck and need help leveling up my Kabal.

representing SVK

SquirtMcGirt

Its my tapatalk sig, and I'll get something up tomorrow. And when I do, everybody be ruthless as fuck, I mean really let me have it.

representing SVK

SquirtMcGirt

Hey guys I'm goin to console combat today if i manage to get on you might get to check out my kabal on stream, otherwise I'll post something when i get done.

representing SVK

Lulzlou

Noob
Awesome dude c:
If I'm not busy when it comes on, I'll keep an eye out for you. I'll watch it afterwards if i miss it

SquirtMcGirt

Well Reo is very very good, and an inspiration to kabal players everywhere. And like i said, i can do the combos, i can iagb, and ndc forever, I'm just having lots of trouble in matches i shouldn't be having so much trouble in. I'm gonna post some videos today if i can con my buddy into doin it.

representing SVK

Lulzlou

Noob
Well Reo is very very good, and an inspiration to kabal players everywhere. And like i said, i can do the combos, i can iagb, and ndc forever, I'm just having lots of trouble in matches i shouldn't be having so much trouble in. I'm gonna post some videos today if i can con my buddy into doin it.

representing SVK
Like I said before, you need to accept every loss and try to fix your bad habits along with leveling up. I was in your position for a while but then I started to understand footsies more and more.

My execution in a match was terrible and I could never get in the right mind set to have mix-ups. I got frustrated because I knew I could do everything. So I practiced, lost, practiced some more and lost some more. You'll notice improvements at a small pace or you'll randomly see a jump in skill. I had small improvements but out of no where I got so much better than before.

I have no shame in showing my older videos.
This was March 31st - I've been learning kabal a little over a month at this point but picking up hitbox brought me back so many steps here. I didn't pick up hitbox because of kabal, one of my offline buddies told me to try it because he didnt use his anymore and was selling it. You can see me struggle so much. After that weekend I got home and practice my execution like how I did on pad. I got so much better after 2days.

At 1:42:00 you'll notice me do a lot better. This was April 20th. I didn't do too bad here but I did see and try to fix my habits during that weekend and afterwards. It paid off because I got 7th place at Civil War the weekend after. It was a small tournament but it was a lot better than how I did at Flawless Victory (April 14th), which was 2w-2l.
http://www.twitch.tv/blackula_sova/b/315665589

You'll notice I didn't really zone at all. The way I trained for a while was trying to understand fundamentals, footsies and spacing with him. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree on the way I approached kabal but it has worked for me. I'm not a high level kabal, just trying to help a fellow kabal brother ;P

I'm trying to go to Blackula's to get some stream time again to show my improvements but I might have to wait til ECT and hope for some stream time. I'll post my stuff whenever I can get stream time :3 Blackula loves over 3hours away from me so I probably will just wait til ect unless one of the NOVA guys wants to take a trip down there.

If you are going to ect, I'll gladly go over kabal stuff with you.