What's new

Match-up Discussion What do do against a patient Scorpion?

xMx M9 xSx

I <3 dogs
Specifically, at full screen.

Yes I know all the commmand grab, d4, 3,3,4 then d1, etc. etc., but what do you do when the opponent keeps you at full screen and waits to screw your crap? I only played one match where I was zoned by scorpion, but here's what happened:

I jump->spear
I stand there->hellfire
I dash/block-> hellfire/he jumps back
I throw a bomb/net->hellfire/tele (respectively)
I AA grab toward him->hellfire/spear
I tele->LOLOLOL bad choice
I actually get a jump in on him->he jumps to me and kicks in air into tele combo, vortex :'(
I lose->embarrassment

most scorpions get anxious and teleport randomly and you punish, but if they just zone you out, what do you do?

I was told that the mu was 6-4 in cyrax's favor, do I just suck lol?

And sorry if this was posted before I didn't find it.

Vagrant

Noob
Specifically, at full screen.

Yes I know all the commmand grab, d4, 3,3,4 then d1, etc. etc., but what do you do when the opponent keeps you at full screen and waits to screw your crap? I only played one match where I was zoned by scorpion, but here's what happened:

I jump->spear
I stand there->hellfire
I throw a bomb/net->hellfire/tele (respectively)
I AA grab toward him->hellfire/spear
I tele->LOLOLOL bad choice
I actually get a jump in on him->he jumps to me and kicks in air into tele combo, vortex :'(
I lose->embarrassment

most scorpions get anxious and teleport randomly and you punish, but if they just zone you out, what do you do?

I was told that the mu was 6-4 in cyrax's favor, do I just suck lol?
Don't jump.
Trading net with hellfire and even tele is HIGHLY in your favor.
Don't jump in at him a good scorp will d1 you into vortex
Don't tele.
Dash block your way in and pressure. If you eat a couple hellfires on your way in thats ok...

This MU is 7-3 cyrax in my opinion

Your problems aren't with the char they're with your fundamentals

Reactions: SLy

Vagrant

Noob
Be careful throwing out net and bombs if he has a bar he can ex spear you on read.

You can bait this however and take 90% for a bar.......

God thats fucked up.....

xMx M9 xSx

I <3 dogs
Whenever I try to predict hellfire and trade with net he seems to be able to block it. It is on xbl though so that may be why.

Yeah he caught me with EX spear once or twice, but when I'm cyrax I'm used to throwing crap out of my chest onto the whole map.

And I don't really teleport often I just wanted to get out of full screen hahaha.

So my only way is to dashblock in? what makes it 7-3 then, the crazy pressure/reset machine known as cyrax?

Vagrant

Noob
what makes it 7-3 then, the crazy pressure/reset machine known as cyrax?
The fact that cyrax has faster normals, better frame adv, bigger damage, better pokes, and more options.

1 Mistake and scorp is dead. Scorp has to save most of his meter for breakers which limits his options.

That scorp is keeping you out because cyrax's mixups and damage potential aren't something scorp can compete with. You will get this alot from other chars as well. Read the zoning patterns, dash block your way in, start your pressure/ mixu game and punish any mistake,

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
You gotta understand, cyrax's pressure is absolutely retarded man. Just bully the living shit out of him. Yeha, you will eat a hellfire or two, but once you're in and you really know how to mix up command grabs, 12,21,11 and the like, scorpion can't do shit. you have no reason to throw a net at full screen either. Just work your way and and bust his face in.

The risk v reward is always in your favor as well. So you risk eating 30-40 on a bad guess vs me(the scorpion player) eating 90 on a bad guess. Once you force the scorp player to break once, he's not gonna build meter very fast. Then it's a net and a "bitch pls gtfo, ggs!"

and once you have him cornered with all of Cyraxs' frame adv. horseshit...its game over man. ALSO!!!! punish pokes! I know its hard on line, but scorps pokes are absolutely terrible.

7-3 all the way. It will take time, but you will develop your fundamentals to a point to where you will truely feel the match up for what it is. Just keep at it man.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
1 Hellfire does like what, less than 8%? 1 Net does what, over 80% with 1 bar?

xMx M9 xSx

I <3 dogs
Okay yeah I was looking at this wrong I guess. Most of the time I get an opponent to come at me with a barrage of bombs and some nets, them all hot-headed and ready to screw me up, and at that point I rape them with the offence. I do adjust for some mu's but I thought it could work here too.

And I honestly don't think I have the reaction time to punish a poke online lol. Also, just to clarify, I know that cyrax is a jesus character and I knew what to do once I got in on scorpion, I just couldn't get in...

Thanks Beef Supreme and Vagrant

1 Hellfire does like what, less than 8%? 1 Net does what, over 80% with 1 bar?
Like I said for some reason I couldn't trade with net. I would predict a fire and he would just tele me out

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
I've played this MU a ton with Slips lately who is undoubtedly the best Scorpion out there, and it really is advantage Cyrax. Bombs will help you establish a life lead and check Scorpion for EX-spears. If he tries to ex-spear your net and bomb comes out instead, then you're going to get a decent amount of life lead on him. Also, your d4 leads to a much better guessing game in your favor, especially is there is a bomb on the screen when you are playing footsies. Scorpions only hope is to chip away at you with hellfires (which is an awful strategy, jump one of them and win the round) or get in and you keep guessing wrong in the vortex.

Another thing I would work on is punishing Scorpions blocked vortex starters (f4 or b2) with 1,net or 2,net and then go straight into the breaker traps. You'll deal at least 35% every time this way, even before he can break if he chooses to wait out the uppercut, or he'll lose 2 bars and the next time you touch him its the end of the round for him.

xMx M9 xSx

I <3 dogs
I've played this MU a ton with Slips lately who is undoubtedly the best Scorpion out there, and it really is advantage Cyrax. Bombs will help you establish a life lead and check Scorpion for EX-spears. If he tries to ex-spear your net and bomb comes out instead, then you're going to get a decent amount of life lead on him. Also, your d4 leads to a much better guessing game in your favor, especially is there is a bomb on the screen when you are playing footsies. Scorpions only hope is to chip away at you with hellfires (which is an awful strategy, jump one of them and win the round) or get in and you keep guessing wrong in the vortex.

Another thing I would work on is punishing Scorpions blocked vortex starters (f4 or b2) with 1,net or 2,net and then go straight into the breaker traps. You'll deal at least 35% every time this way, even before he can break if he chooses to wait out the uppercut, or he'll lose 2 bars and the next time you touch him its the end of the round for him.
So basically what I'm hearing is use bombs to get him in and dash block when possible to get in on him, then use his super-pressure. yes? Also, I can do cyrax's resets, but what kind of broken cyrax nonsense is the breaker trap? I heard about it but didn't look into it.

All your choices are incredable unsafe.
Footsie him out for some whiffs. He has to attack eventually
Yes I know they were unsafe, I was just trying to do random crap. most of the match I tried to throw out bombs and nets (admittedly I threw out too many nets). Read the first line, I don't think that footsying is smart? And he actually doesn't have to attack eventually.

And to both of you: thanks but I know how to handle him up close, I just could not get close. I'm talking full screen, he's just hellfiring then jumping back and punishing my jumps.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I'm not a big time MK player but my simple guess would be:
-Don't jump. Or if you do, if you see him doing full-screen spear, then try jumping into last second teleport to bait him to do the spear and punish him from behind! (OOPS!)
- Dash block into down4 (d4 is +16 I believe) or even better dash block into d4 into special (preferably ragdoll).
- Make use of medium and long bombs and THEN teleport. Don't do naked teleports, through scorpion a bone (aka: bombs) to keep him "occupied" and last but not least...
- Trading hellfire with nets is just unfair for the scorpion player.