What's new

What did your COMMENTATOR have for breakfast?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Listening in on twitter... I had to make this thread based off of one of James Chen's RT's...

@itsatebenStephen Joe Hetrick

@jchensor a personal annoyance of mine is when someone really vulgar or "unprofessional" hops on. Completely derails a stream for me.
Discuss.

This is more important than probably a lot of you realize... when you have thousands of viewers... you have to realize you're making a "first" impression of yourself to those thousands and it could be making them want to watch more and get in to it... or close it out and leave.

Usually these "unprofessionals" get rid of the boredom and add hype to whatever stream you're watching, so I don't mind.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Opinions are like assholes............
yes, but the truth is also sometimes hard to swallow, Tim!

I agree with this... IMO one of the best commentators is [MENTION=2812]UltraDavid[/MENTION], hands down. He is so professional and knows what he's talking about.

Reedoms

Noob
If what they say is true, then I don't care. Truth hurts sometimes.
But if they are talking out their ass and are generally bringing a "debbie-downer" mood to the stream, that's dumb.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Skisonic is considered a good commentator by some. Me, i'd rather stick burning toothpicks in my eyes than listen to his commentary.

Everyone has their opinion on what they like. If they dont like it, just mute it. No way is 100% of the viewers going to be happy.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Skisonic is considered a good commentator by some. Me, i'd rather stick burning toothpicks in my eyes than listen to his commentary.

Everyone has their opinion on what they like. If they dont like it, just mute it. No way is 100% of the viewers going to be happy.
I never said 100% of the viewers need to be happy... but if you have someone on stream that is just being vulgar, etc... that is very unnecessary.

the idea of this thread was to help improve commentary, and "new" commentators.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
yes, but the truth is also sometimes hard to swallow, Tim!

I agree with this... IMO one of the best commentators is [MENTION=2812]UltraDavid[/MENTION], hands down. He is so professional and knows what he's talking about.
The cool thing about Chen and UltraDavid is that they stay really professional and have a big, big bag of knowledge. And they never blow up the games they commentate!
You can actually learn some stuff by listening, a thing I sometimes miss in MK commentating...

i just dont like when people with a negative or agressive attitude comment but im fine with 90% of whoever hops on the mic.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I never said 100% of the viewers need to be happy... but if you have someone on stream that is just being vulgar, etc... that is very unnecessary.

the idea of this thread was to help improve commentary, and "new" commentators.
Whats considered vulgar tho? I find anything to do with MvC3 vulgar LOL

but seriously, who is commentating and being vulgar doing it? What prompted all this? (sorry i am still out of the loop after this weekend)

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Why are tournament players always the ones being thrown on the mic, then? Of course Tom's going to be pissed off and going in huge rants after he's played a tournament and isn't satisfied with his results, yet it keeps happening. Just because Tom's there doesn't mean he has to comment on every single matchup, with 20 minute off topic rants about Sub Zero and how the dash blocking, armored moves and the input bug affect him.

Aris at least throws a bit of humor in there, Tom just likes ranting in the spotlight.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I like a lot of the professional, serious commentators the Capcom community has. With the guys like Ultra David and Seth Killian I appreciate the insight and they bring a sense of gravitas to the tournament.

On the other hand there's a time and place for talking about WCW and Tom's monster hamburger.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Aris and Ultradavid were great at evo this year. Both were very informative to people who perhaps dont play the game too much, but also very entertaining and funny to listen to at the same time.

leek

Noob
Honestly some vulgarity is encouraged? IMO but not a whole lot. Like honestly, we're adults here, bought a M-rated game and I think people can handle it. but I don't think that the person should be swearing every other word.. no "f bombs" personally but I wouldn't mind much else. Just keep it to a minimal level..

EDIT: I'm with these guys up there ^^^^^^^

the commentators at evo were pretty much exactly how I'd like to see a stream be talked about and commentated over. Very good job and explained what was going on but also were talking about the players themselves and what they play, who they play, where they were from. Very good job at evo for sure

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I think you need a duo that works well together. You need the professional and informative guy juxtaposed to the hype machine man-child. Also, I think it is very rude when commentators completely ignore a match and discuss something else. While people are button checking and setting up a fight, that is understandable - but when a fight starts, all other topics need to be put on hold in respect of the players and their friends watching.

With that said, some good professional commentary has come from people like:

Ultra David
Funkdoc
16-bit

The man-child group consists of:

Aris
Hito
Sabin

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I'm sure "X-RAY THAT BITCH" sounds pretty vulgar and yet no-one chewed me out for saying it whenever I commentated on stream back during EVO...haha.