What's new

What defines MKX's gameplay most to you?

What defines MKX's gameplay the most to you?

• 50/50s

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Advancing Strings

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Block Stun

Votes: 45 33.1%

• Total voters

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
One thing that cracks me up about this is a lot of people are quick to proclaim a move "awful/death" on whiff about one of their own character's moves but then complain about an advancing string being too hard to whiff punish when it has the same, if not more recovery frames lol.

#getyourspacingstr8m8
When they have the glass it's half empty but if they look at their opponents glass which is identical, guess what?..... It's half full

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
- less blockstun for a more balanced risk/reward system.
- one last pet peeve, the stamina meter. get rid of it or make it wider.
...the stamina meter. but as far as run goes, it should be infinite.
FINALLY!!! Someone gets it.

b(^o^)b

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
This feels like another thread that's disguised as a 'what I hate about MKX' thread.

The gameplay is fine overall and well balanced for this most part. 50/50's, advancing strings and weird block stun aren't new gameplay concepts that NRS decided to feature for their new game.

Run and delayed wakeup are the newest gameplay features. Run is easily what separates this game from MK9 and Injustice and most 2D games in general.
How is run and delayed wakeup new ? Run was in MK4 and Trilogy, delayed wakeup was in 3d MKs.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
for people who complain about advancing strings I have yet to see many players whiff punish them and for most cases once you in the right range it's easy to do
One thing that cracks me up about this is a lot of people are quick to proclaim a move "awful/death" on whiff about one of their own character's moves but then complain about an advancing string being too hard to whiff punish when it has the same, if not more recovery frames lol.

#getyourspacingstr8m8
It's difficult to be just outside things like Cassie's 11f B1 or D'vorah's 12f F1 or Kung Lao's 15f B3 (easiest to pick on offenders). Even worse when the extension of these strings can come out on whiff and still convert into combos. The distance is pretty far to a point where he seems obvious when it will miss and when it will hit. Unless of course you're going for just the tip of the normal. Personally I find it easier to be Cassie and space the B1 where it will at least touch them then be on the opposite end and try to weave in and out of it. Especially when I also need to press a block button.

Not to say it can't be done just that it feels easier to make sure the advancing strings hit then it is to get them to miss. Doesn't help that some backdashes are just awful and you only get 2 of em.

As for people who do the "glass half empty stuff" I just try not to mind those people lol

IrishMantis

It's difficult to be just outside things like Cassie's 11f B1 or D'vorah's 12f F1 or Kung Lao's 15f B3 (easiest to pick on offenders). Even worse when the extension of these strings can come out on whiff and still convert into combos. The distance is pretty far to a point where he seems obvious when it will miss and when it will hit. Unless of course you're going for just the tip of the normal. Personally I find it easier to be Cassie and space the B1 where it will at least touch them then be on the opposite end and try to weave in and out of it. Especially when I also need to press a block button.

Not to say it can't be done just that it feels easier to make sure the advancing strings hit then it is to get them to miss. Doesn't help that some backdashes are just awful and you only get 2 of em.

As for people who do the "glass half empty stuff" I just try not to mind those people lol
Cassies is tricky I'll give you that so is Kotals because their hurtbox stays behind their hitbox so they beat you you out before your outside jump range you can def react to Dvorahs as she pushes her hurtbox in with her hitbox so you whiff punish her with one of your normals where your hurtbox is away from your hitbox (damn I'm confusing myself :p) usually everybody's D4 does the job if you don't feel confident of using a standing normal

Look at this way you see the start up frames being 11 frames so that's all your counting but if your 2-3 hits away in distance you have a lot of frames to react to as you count the active frames the start up of the next part of the string and the active frames of the next part of the string and so on depending on the distance and how much the opponent is willing to commit

Also it doesn't have to be reaction if your in s comfortable space to bait you can freely throw out fast recovering pokes and normals out randomly to catch an opponent advancing their string on a read and what that is also doing is giving your opponent a reason to attempt their advancing strings to whiff punish your pokes so your manipulating them to take the bait

Footsies is not just reaction it's also reads, how else do you think they are whiff punishing 4f moves in games like SF4 consistently :D

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Cassies is tricky I'll give you that so is Kotals because their hurtbox stays behind their hitbox so they beat you you out before your outside jump range you can def react to Dvorahs as she pushes her hurtbox in with her hitbox so you whiff punish her with one of your normals where your hurtbox is away from your box (damn I'm confusing myself :p) usually everybody's D4 does the job if you don't feel confident of using a standing normal

Look at this way you see the start up frames being 11 frames so that's all your counting but if your 2-3 hits away in distance you have a lot of frames to react to as you count the active frames the start up of the next part of the string and the active frames of the next part of the string and so on depending on the distance and how much the opponent is willing to commit

Also it doesn't have to be reaction if your in s comfortable space to bait you can freely throw out fast recovering pokes and normals out randomly to catch an opponent advancing their string on a read and what that is also doing is giving your opponent a reason to attempt their advancing strings to whiff punish your pokes so your manipulating them to take the bait

Footsies is not just reaction it's also reads, how else do you think they are whiff punishing 4f moves in games like SF4 consistently :D
Yeah it's not all reactions and reads and just throwing out a quick poke to catch something is useful. (Love using Cassie's D4) but my main thing was the strings feel much easier to use then they are to beat. It's very possible to beat all those moves out. But another part of why I chose advancing strings in the poll is the fact that most of the time they are safe combo starters too. So in neutral you could be thinking 'I'll stick this great D4 limb out and try to check him and then I get some frame advantage' while the other player with the mid is thinking 'I'll get this to just TOUCH him. If it hits, woo combo. If it's blocked can be anything from safe to pressure starter to mix up starter to knockdown to space control' and I get why they reward different things. But the reward for some of these strings even TOUCHING feels a bit too crazy imo.

Side note I try to play Raiden along with Cassie and Kotal. I get spoiled by godlike D4 :D only to use Raiden's and see his awful in comparison D4. :( lol Especially going from Kotal to Raiden. I get D4 withdrawals.

IrishMantis

Yeah it's not all reactions and reads and just throwing out a quick poke to catch something is useful. (Love using Cassie's D4) but my main thing was the strings feel much easier to use then they are to beat. It's very possible to beat all those moves out. But another part of why I chose advancing strings in the poll is the fact that most of the time they are safe combo starters too. So in neutral you could be thinking 'I'll stick this great D4 limb out and try to check him and then I get some frame advantage' while the other player with the mid is thinking 'I'll get this to just TOUCH him. If it hits, woo combo. If it's blocked can be anything from safe to pressure starter to mix up starter to knockdown to space control' and I get why they reward different things. But the reward for some of these strings even TOUCHING feels a bit too crazy imo.

Side note I try to play Raiden along with Cassie and Kotal. I get spoiled by godlike D4 :D only to use Raiden's and see his awful in comparison D4. :( lol Especially going from Kotal to Raiden. I get D4 withdrawals.
I don't know dude could be JCs and Jax's 11 are are really good tools for beating this, it's one of my most satisfying things to do to consistently bait them, the only chars off my head I have trouble doing this too Is Kotal, SZ and Cassie the rest I hit like 9/10 when spaced right, what is Cassie S2 that could be good for it if it's under 10f.
If not her B1 be really good for it

I say it's a mix of Char tools and practice

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I honestly think MK could be so much better if not half the cast had quick low/overhead starters and the screen was a little shorter--meaning you had to play closer to one another and focus more on footsies. NRS are heading in the right direction with each iteration, but there's still work to be done. I hate to make SF comparisons, but they could learn a few things... Capcom took some notes from NRS with their UI, let NRS do the same with some footsies.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I don't know dude could be JCs and Jax's 11 are are really good tools for beating this, it's one of my most satisfying things to do to consistently bait them, the only chars off my head I have trouble doing this too Is Kotal, SZ and Cassie the rest I hit like 9/10 when spaced right, what is Cassie S2 that could be good for it if it's under 10f.
If not her B1 be really good for it

I say it's a mix of Char tools and practice
Again it's not beating them out that's my issue. It's everything else that comes along with them. It's the whole package that is "advancing strings" in this game.

IrishMantis

Again it's not beating them out that's my issue. It's everything else that comes along with them. It's the whole package that is "advancing strings" in this game.
I guess we just have different perspectives on the opinion.
We'll just agree to disagree :D

Last edited: