What's new

What are some other combo starters for Mileena?

U4, is probably the most used start up.. But it gets predictable.

I know B3 is another.. They basically have a 50-50. They have to predict whether or not you're going to use B3 or U4, so that's good.

But are there any other good combo starters for Mileena? I just feel really predictable using the same start ups.

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
Most of Mileena's moves are combo starters if you know when to use them. Roll is great for starting combos, for example, when your opponent is throwing projectiles or doing other stuff that leaves them vulnerable. Anti-air airsai can lead to something like airsai>roll>b14>112>bite. A jumpkick can cancel into telekick, which can cancel into airsai. This can be used as an anti-air or when your opponent is grounded (if the kick is deep enough) for something like jumpkick>telekick>airsai>roll>b14>112>bite. B14 is another overhead, as is the start of enhanced roll. She's got tons of options. Check out the Kombo, Part Skunk Guide, and Kombat Videos threads for some other ideas.

Somberness

Lights
Most of Mileena's moves are combo starters
Seriously.

:d+:bp HIT LEVEL:H+ DAMAGE:12 - Use :l:d:bk to continue combo
:ur:fp/:bp HIT LEVEL:M(OH) DAMAGE:4 - Use :l:r:fp or :r:r:fk to continue combo
:ur:fk/:bk HIT LEVEL:M DAMAGE:7 - Use :l:r:fp or :r:r:fk to continue combo
:l+:fp:bk HIT LEVEL:M,M(OH) DAMAGE:5,7 - Use :l+:fp:bk to continue combo
:l+:fk HIT LEVEL:L DAMAGE:3 - Use :l:d:bk to continue combo
:u+:bk HIT LEVEL:M(OH) DAMAGE:7 - Use :u+:bk to continue combo
:bp:fk HIT LEVEL:H,M DAMAGE:5,5 - Use :l:d:bk to continue combo
:bk:bp HIT LEVEL:M,M DAMAGE:7,5 - Use :l:d:bk or :r:r:fk to continue combo
:l:r:fp(air) HIT LEVEL:H DAMAGE:6 - Use :l:d:bk to continue combo
:r:r:fk HIT LEVEL:M DAMAGE:7 - Use :l:r:fp to continue combo
:l:d:bk HIT LEVEL:M DAMAGE:5 - Use your choice to continue combo

:fk HIT LEVEL:M DAMAGE:5 - Don't use it
:r+:fk HIT LEVEL:M DAMAGE:5 - Don't use it
:fp:fp HIT LEVEL:H+,H+ DAMAGE:3,2 - Don't use it

Almost every potential combo starter for certain situations.

Green = frame advantage on block
Red = frame disadvantage on block

Hit Level Explanation
Tests done to low hitbox character. (Mileena)
Sometimes at certain distances and against some characters a H/H+ move will land on crouch/crouch block.
H+ = misses against both crouch and crouch block
H = misses against crouch
M = hits against crouch
L = must be blocked crouched
(OH) = must be blocked standing

Somberness

Lights
Well... it's not very practical but it is a starter. You can't do it off the ground, it has to be from beneath somebody so that they go slightly backwards. It might be easier to do now because of her uppercut recovery frames being lessened.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
B+3xxRoll is something I've seen, but I don't ever see B+3xxExRoll, which is perplexing.

First of all, since MK has a lot of stuff that isn't generally hit-confirmable, B+3 to Roll is extremely unsafe if blocked. The EX will still get punished if blocked, but I've played with a lot of great high level players and I've never seen anyone block b+3xxEXRoll. The B+3 is a low, so if they get hit by it, the EXRoll is going to combo in regardless; however, if they block the low, the EXRoll is a quick Medium so unless they have the foresight and precise timing to stand up in just a few frames, they're getting hit. Realistically, it just doesn't often happen, especially if you don't use it every single time you approach.

It's just so unlikely it'll get blocked because there are only a handful of frames between when the low hits and when it's canceled into the quick Medium. Also, the setup in itself is a 50/50, because Mileena can just go low twice with b+3, b+4. Another nice side-effect from abusing this is the fact that it gets people focused on her low game, which allows you to throw in more u+4's. You can even set up for it by doing b+3, b+4 just once. Once they realize she has a double-sweep of sorts, people often think twice about standing. Also, in my experience, a lot of people just don't know that b+3xxEXRoll even exists, so it catches a lot of people off guard. It's not something that many people seem to know or abuse with this character.

One note though, it must be done close to the opponent. If you're hitting someone with the tip of her foot, the Roll will not hit them when she pops up. It has to be pretty meaty, but it's not hard to get that close to someone for a pressure string.

This is one of my favorite combo starters to bust out when people aren't expecting it, and it has served me quite well so far. In my experience, it's often spending a bar for just about a guaranteed combo.

B3 on block pushes them back giving the opponent more than enough time to react. The opponent can also fuzzy guard. It would probably work the first time, and that's about it.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
No, it works fine if they block the b+3. It just has to be meaty. Don't do it from max range, do it up close and even if they block the b+3 they get hit by the Medium. Like I said, blocking it is extremely difficult, so much so that I've never seen it and I play with some amazing players.

Unless you do it every match, it's something that will be really difficult to defend against, and it's a great tool to have in your pocket. I'm not sure about the frame data, I wouldn't mind knowing exactly how many frames there are between the low connecting and the medium coming out, but whatever it is, it doesn't seem like much.

Next time you play some people give it a shot, I think you'll be surprised how reliable it is as long as you don't make it the foundation of your entire gameplan.

The problem is you can't link EX roll off of B+3 properly unless you are at point blank range... and it might even be hurt by what stance she's in too.

It does work though, because if people are looking for B+3 > B+4 combo, they will stay in crouch. It is impossible to fuzzy guard this mixup in a real match. However, it's ONLY gonna work that way if the initial hits of EX roll connect. If you are spaced just slightly too far away, the first hits will miss, and you'll get punished; not to mention be short one bar.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Yeah, you definitely have to be in their face. I'm actually not sure if the stances impact this in any way, I'll have to look into that. I do however know that getting close enough is easier than it sounds. It seems to always work off jump ins and, if I'm correct, I'm fairly certain it works on OTG as well.

It's not that getting close enough is hard, it's just with Mileena you don't normally want to be that close to start your offense. You want to be between the range of her standing 3 or D+3, and her D+4 mostly. that way her B+3 will hit at it's max range and be harder to see coming. If you're too close there's a bigger chance of getting interrupted since her normals are slower than most. This is not to say that B+3 > EX Roll doesn't work, however.