What's new

What are good ways to keep pressure after Sektor's flame?

I have been tinkering around against other players online( yeah yeah I know online :hammer: ) but I think I've found a way to keep pressure on the vast majority of opponents for potential 50/50 options.

The thing I've been doing is doing f2 to close the gap of space between the opponent and the flame. I have noticed though that some opponents can't duck it while in block but if they unblock they can so if they block I get a free throw or if they sit there unblocked I get the Sektor b34 into the same situation. Also if they jump I can quickly buffer into b1 for solid damage or flame which can reset the whole situation. Now I haven't had a lot of sparring partners but this seems to work quite well against Ermac, Subzero, and Raiden players online.

So anyways, that is one way I've figured out how to stuff opponents after the flame, what do you Sektor players do to keep pressure?

Robotic

Gentleman.
I said this in another thread, but I found that after the torch hits, another immediate flame almost always lands. Try it. It will keep ur opponent honest and look to block next time a flame hits. Ur 50/50s might have even more success that way.

I should elaborate that when I say it almost always lands, I don't mean it combos, I mean ur opponent thinks he is at a safe distance after the flame hit animation is done and he doesn't think he needs to block, he will attempt to perform a move that he thinks will get off before yours does, or jump in any direction. Barring an xray or some other move I've yet to see in this situation, they will eat the 2nd torch if they don't block.

REYTHEGREAT

ill have to agree with robotic on this one lol. i myself became a victim for 2 flames back to back :/

ill admit it. Im a doubler flamer myself. pause. Um i mean i use the flamethrower twice in a row as they do not expect it. This results to them calling me a spammer online and results for a good 50/50 for me when i close the space after the 2nd flamethrower leading to the W

Sektroll

Noob
a second flame is good after the first one as long as you recognize what character your opponent is using and if they can interrupt your second flame for huge damage and potential knockdown into 50/50 or not.

You do not want to do a second flame all of the time against Ermac (lift), Nightwolf (shoulder), Reptile (elbow), and a few others. Keep in mind, though, that you can do want to sprinkle the second flame or b2, flame after a successful initial flame combo ender since once they figure out they can interrupt it, you can punish all of those interrupts very hard.

Ermac blocked lift = dash up 1,2,b1 or dash up b3,4
Nightwolf ducked shoulder = uppercut or (still need to test more) quick stand 1,2,b1
Reptile blocked elbow = 1,2,b1

First time playing somebody usually means I will do nothing to see how well they know the matchup. If they do nothing after flame, then I will do a micro dash into b3,4 or a b2, flame or another flame and verbally make the on fire noise to them "Aaaah, AAAAAAAAAh, AAAaaAaAaAH!"

Sektroll

Noob
sektroll, you dont have any matches on youtube?
Nope! I actually recorded some matches recently, but I am simply too lazy to upload them. Afaik, there is only one match of me playing online and that is against OnlineTony at the one WNF I played Sektor at.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Nope! I actually recorded some matches recently, but I am simply too lazy to upload them. Afaik, there is only one match of me playing online and that is against OnlineTony at the one WNF I played Sektor at.
Want me to come over and take care of that for you? CMON MAN! :) It's already hard enough to find elite level sektor play as it is!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I enjoy doing two flames one after the other to keep the honest or immediately after one flame, dash in do a throw here and there or B+1 I like mixing up and one of my favorite moves to keep people honest and it pops them back giving Sektor more room too, I also like buffering into up and/or straight missles after flames for pressure and chip damage if not hit.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Flame then if they smarten up and block on the ground, up missile for safe jump into combo. Yesterday managed to land a 50% combo against a dude. It felt like an achievement. (Usually it gets breakered around the 25-35% mark)

For me it depends on the matchup. I'll do double flame against characters that I've been effective with zoning against and who I know want to get in on me, such as Lao of Cage. The blocked flame pushes them back pretty far. Against a zoning character I might go for a mixup, but the spacing is kinda awkward.

Edit: Wow, up-missile is smart stuff. Do they have time to move out of the way? I know it gives advantage, but idk about that much.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Flame then if they smarten up and block on the ground, up missile for safe jump into combo. Yesterday managed to land a 50% combo against a dude. It felt like an achievement. (Usually it gets breakered around the 25-35% mark)
Agreed. Opponent being scared of torch #2 is a beautiful thing - it opens up Sektor's game even more.

@Apocalips: If they have been trained to block after the first torch, I would say no. By the time they realize an up-missile is coming, they have little choice but to block or jump out of the way. By that time, Sektor is already jumping in and will knock him out of the air. Keep in mind, this is predicated on the belief that they DIDN'T know you were going to up missile immediately after a torch. If they expected it, they DO have time.

ManjoumeThunder

Just a mark
I must say, I never thought of following up say a combo that ends in Flame Thrower, with another Flame Thrower. Then the subsequent mind games.
*mind blown*