What's new

General/Other - Blood God Weird things with Blood Totem.

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
Ill be updating if I find anything more.

Edit most of this was me not test right and 16 bit cleared the rest up.

A real down side to the totem is if the round ends Kotal does not gain any meter for the damage infected.

The totem also disappears on xray. Thats just sad. But I can live with it.

Not all attacks take meter. In fact some attacks return meter or just take nothing.
F2, D2 and ex and non ex sun stone do not take meter at all.
B1,4 takes meter on B1 but 4 gives it back. 2,1,2 and 114 and B1,2,2 return meter on the last hit.
Another weird thing is if you do B1,4 then F1,B2 on the ground then B2 will give meter back. This does not happen if you don't do B1,4 first. If you do B1,4 in a juggle combo it works like it should.

Ex and non ex Air grabs some time gives some back other times it does not. This depends on the juggle. Basically if any attack in the string gave meter back then all air grabs will return it as well.
After playing around with it a bit more it just gets weirder. If you use F2 it does not take meter. But if you do D1-D1-D1-D1 then F2 it returns a huge amount back. In fact any attack that does not take meter will do the same.
If you do D1-D1-D1- F1,B2 the F1 will take no meter and the B2 will return meter.
This is all done in training mode and may just be a bug in it.

Weird part is it seams to work correctly on Kotal's meter gain part. There is a huge difference in meter take and what Kotal receives.

It works the same on both the ps4 and pc versions of the game. Dont know on xbone

More findings

Turns out in game f2,d2 and sun stone build the same amount of meter to the opponent no matter if the blood totem is out or not in a actual game. This means that the totem acts differently then in practice mode.
Edit never mind on this, just me not test things right

Last edited:

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
I added more to the first post. Im also going to edit the thread title

I think you are greatly over looking this totem. It can drain half a bar from your opponent while giving Kotal half a bar back and health. Used right this can completely remove armor attacks from your opponent. This forces them to block on knock down and respect Kotal range. And really can hurt character that need meter to get damage. If it work as intended it would make him very scary to deal with.

His frame traps become even better. If they burn a bar of meter to get out of a 1,1,4,blood totem frame trap and you block it they just lost a bar and a half and gave kotal a full bar and 10% health.

Last edited:
Ill be updating if I find anything more.

Turns out in game f2,d2 and sun stone build the same amount of meter to the opponent no matter if the blood totem is out or not in a actual game. This means that the totem acts differently then in practice mode.
This is very worrisome because if this is truly the case, it undermines the assumption that what happens in training mode is precisely what happens in a match and may lead to an invalidation of all the lab time people spend with characters. I don't know why there would be a discrepancy between match mode and practice mode in this manner, but it needs to be investigated further with other moves and other characters. If it's not a bug exclusive to the totem application, this finding is more of a breakthrough than any of those 'breakthrough' threads .

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The reason moves appear to give meter to them or do nothing is that the totem doesn't prevent the opponent from building meter for being hit. So they're gaining meter from being hit while losing meter from the totem. Sometimes their meter build is higher than the meter drained so they appear to gain bar. So effectively they simply build less than they would without the totem. If you compare a f+2 without the totem active you can see this. Compare the meter they build from a f+2 hitting without the totem and then with the totem.

It also works this way in a real match not just training mode. For example, at the start of the match it takes 6 connected f+2 for the opponent to gain a bar. With Blood Totem active it takes 9. This is the same in training mode.

Robotic

Gentleman.
This is very worrisome because if this is truly the case, it undermines the assumption that what happens in training mode is precisely what happens in a match and may lead to an invalidation of all the lab time people spend with characters. I don't know why there would be a discrepancy between match mode and practice mode in this manner, but it needs to be investigated further with other moves and other characters. If it's not a bug exclusive to the totem application, this finding is more of a breakthrough than any of those 'breakthrough' threads .
If everything else in this thread is reduced to smoldering rubble, I would hope that people take the time to verify if the above is real or not. If no, then fine. If yes.....FUCK.

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
The reason moves appear to give meter to them or do nothing is that the totem doesn't prevent the opponent from building meter for being hit. So they're gaining meter from being hit while losing meter from the totem. Sometimes their meter build is higher than the meter drained so they appear to gain bar. So effectively they simply build less than they would without the totem. If you compare a f+2 without the totem active you can see this. Compare the meter they build from a f+2 hitting without the totem and then with the totem.

It also works this way in a real match not just training mode. For example, at the start of the match it takes 6 connected f+2 for the opponent to gain a bar. With Blood Totem active it takes 9. This is the same in training mode
Thank you, that makes perfect sense with what I am seeing.

Turns out the meter acting differently was me having all 3 bars filled for my opponent then attempting to use f2 as a combo without draining it enough first. Basically if they have xray then the next hit no matter what the attack is will drain it just a bit so they do not have xray. They also can't gain xray by being hit. Which was why f2-f2-f2 was not giving them meter and appeared to do nothing. It also explains the whole d1 thing.

Last edited: