What's new

Was thinking about guest characters from other fighting games

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
So I was watching some stuff on Tekken 7, found out Akuma is in the game and plays like a Street Fighter character. Hearing that got me interested in playing Tekken 7, because I can ease into this series I haven't played since I was 8 by playing a character in that game that is more familiar to me. Then I was thinking about the MK guys in Injustice who play like their MK counterparts, making it easy for MK players to cross over. As somebody who hates guest characters, I was thinking that this might not be a bad thing would theoretically help other games grow.

Wondering if other "no guest characters" type of people would feel the same way. Like, if Devil Jin showed up in the next Mortal Kombat over Jigsaw, would you feel better about that?

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I actually feel that in MK11 we might get a DC char from the IJ games as a guest character, as NRS/WB already have use fhem anyway. My top 2 choices for that are Joker and Doomsday.

As for chars from other franchises, that's gonna be a tough one. It's really not that easy to get the right for a character to begin with, and all of the other fighting game companies are from Japan, so they would most likely rather work in partnership with each other for guests like Namco does for Tekken 7. The only company that will probably agree to do that is Microsoft for KI, but then that char will have to be exclusive on the XB1 and PC versions and not for PS4, but WB would probably won't wanna go once again in the Kratos route like they did in MK9,

So I guess that aside from IJ itself, the most likely scenario is that for MK we are gonna get non-fighting game chars.

For the record all of the guest chars that made it to NRS games so far are cool to me, especially Sub-Zero and TMNT for IJ2.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I actually feel that in MK11 we might get a DC char from the IJ games as a guest character, as NRS/WB already have use fhem anyway. My top 2 choices for that are Joker and Doomsday.

As for chars from other franchises, that's gonna be a tough one. It's really not that easy to get the right for a character to begin with, and all of the other fighting game companies are from Japan, so they would most likely rather work in partnership with each other for guests like Namco does for Tekken 7. The only company that will probably agree to do that is Microsoft for KI, but then that char will have to be exclusive on the XB1 and PC versions and not for PS4, but WB would probably won't wanna go once again in the Kratos route like they did in MK9,

So I guess that aside from IJ itself, the most likely scenario is that for MK we are gonna get non-fighting game chars.

For the record all of the guest chars that made it to NRS games so far are cool to me, especially Sub-Zero and TMNT for IJ2.
Divekick was American, right? Jebailey for MK11

That's a fair point though. At least for NRS, the only possibility I can think of is Marvel characters, but they wouldn't play like their MvC counterparts if that happens

Roy Arkon

Divekick was American, right? Jebailey for MK11

That's a fair point though. At least for NRS, the only possibility I can think of is Marvel characters, but they wouldn't play like their MvC counterparts if that happens
That's actually the lesser issue, gameplay can altered as close as possible. The real reason is NRS are working for WB, and WB are associated with DC. There is almost 0% that either WB or DC will agree to work with Marvel, especially that Marvel is now under the umbrella of Disney.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
If I were to get a guest character from another fighting game into MK, I would want something that's possible for MK to toy with, like Guilty Gear or Skullgirls. Characters with interesting designs that could easily go down that over the top and super gory road to fit in with the brutality of the game. Probably the only issue would be animating them to not look weird or awkward compared to their anime counterparts.

Aramonde

Noob
The only fighting franchise I can see in MK is KI and like Roy said it might be hard to get MS to allow the character on both systems. Tho MS still continues to have Minecraft on other systems so it could happen. I would love Fulgore in MK.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
If I were to get a guest character from another fighting game into MK, I would want something that's possible for MK to toy with, like Guilty Gear or Skullgirls. Characters with interesting designs that could easily go down that over the top and super gory road to fit in with the brutality of the game. Probably the only issue would be animating them to not look weird or awkward compared to their anime counterparts.
See, I'm thinking that other fighters have a lot of cross-over potential that would help bring new players in. Like, fictional universe where this happens, a new Darkstalkers could very easily incorporate Filia or another Skullgirls character that uses those same input motions. BlazBlue Cross-Tag is happening, which is actually going to get me to buy Under Night when it hits Vita so I have some practice with those characters

Cerbero

Always down for games.
KI Sabrewolf, Glacius & Cinder.
KOF Iori, Mai, King, Robert.
Marvel series Dr Doom, Dormmamu, Magneto.
DGB Cell, Freezer, Android 18.
SC Volvo, Yoshimitsu, Nightmare.

In a NRs style game could be really cool.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
See, I'm thinking that other fighters have a lot of cross-over potential that would help bring new players in. Like, fictional universe where this happens, a new Darkstalkers could very easily incorporate Filia or another Skullgirls character that uses those same input motions. BlazBlue Cross-Tag is happening, which is actually going to get me to buy Under Night when it hits Vita so I have some practice with those characters
Dude cross tag is looking sick, UNIB AND PERSONA...THEN YOU GAVE ME RWBY. It's going to be too much for my heart. I agree though that there are other fighters that would fit pretty well with SG. KI wouldn't be a bad franchise to merge with mk.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
DC characters aren't allowed to kill. I don't think anyone wants heroic brutalities coming back.

Roy Arkon

DC characters aren't allowed to kill. I don't think anyone wants heroic brutalities coming back.
Joker was in MK Vs. DC and he got Fatalities, as he is a villain. Same for Doomsday if he would've made the cut. That's way I included only them and not any hero, because they won't be able to do Fatalities. But Joker and Doomsday will. Hell in MK Vs. DC, Joker had an uncensored versions of his Gun Fatality as well, so he was already violent enough then.