What's new

General/Other - Warrior Warrior Buff Suggestions - Making the Variation Become More Viable

REO

Undead
Warrior Predator may quite possibly have some of the most underpowered exclusive armor moves given to any variation in the game. Warrior presents the concept of acquiring many new melee based attacks and specials specifically designed to make him more of a threat when "up close and personal". While the idea is brilliant, it unfortunately does not deliver and there is something clearly wrong when his other two variations are leagues ahead of being stronger in both offense and up close squabbles. Another huge detriment downfall is that Warrior does not provide Predator with any additional zoning tools so it is a variation that must be in close quarters which it does not excel at to begin with.

Warrior Buff Suggestions:

- Warrior Predator's B,F+1 (Dread Slam) should become -1 on block.

Explanation:
Having B,F+1 become safe on block would give Warrior the ability to cancel into a completely 100% safe special on block, which Hunter and Hish-Qu-Ten do not offer. This would also allow Warrior Predator to be able to build meter, which he has a difficult time doing in this variation. Dread Slam becoming -1 would be fair since ALL of his main core strings or single attacks cancelled into it would have a gap where the opponent can backdash or armor out.

- Warrior Predator's B,F+1 (Dread Slam) should recover a little bit faster on hit.

Explanation:
Currently Dread Slam is a very slow melee attack (23 frames) that offers an extremely small reward on hit. Having Dread Slam recover a bit quicker on hit would allow Warrior Predator to combo off of this attack when he has the opponent against the wall by being able to follow up with a quick low poke (D+3). This would give Warrior Predator the added perk of corner damage when it comes to this variation by being able to hit confirm and convert from the use of Dread Slam.

- All versions of grounded D,B+2 (Yautja Strike) should have improved recovery on whiff (think similar to Takeda's B,F+4 Tornado Strike)

Explanation:
Yautja Strike is one of the slowest attacks in the game that also doubles in poor whiff recovery. Giving all versions of D,B+2 less recovery on whiff would exclusively give the Warrior variation the added bonus of mobility, and it would help in closing distance or maneuvering around certain obstacles. Due to Predator's enormously large character model, this would not be too abusable as the Yautja Strike animation makes Predator vulnerable to many attacks.

- All versions of D,B+2 (Yautja Strike) should low crush

Explanation:
Almost every overhead attack in the game that puts the character in an aerial state has a low crush property, yet for some reason Warrior's Yautja strike does not have this property. A low crush is an attack that has priority against or evades the active hitbox of a low attack. Good examples or this are Scorpion's F+2 (when not in Ninjutsu), Mileena's F+3, Kotal's B+2, etc.

- Self-Detonate and EX Self-Destruct should be able to trade on HIT and block

Explanation:
For unknown reasons, the hitbox on Warrior's D,B+4 special vanishes if the opponent makes contact on the same exact frame when it explodes. This works with any attacks as long as they come in contact with Predator on the same frame, including projectiles. I feel this is very unfair as it has cost me some games where I KNEW my opponent was going to do something such as a D+1 up close, and I go to block just to see my Self-Detonate pop and NOT launch them. Possible bug? Either way, a huge disservice to the core aspect of Warrior's game.

- EX Self-Destruct (D,B+4+BLK) should have less recovery and one hit of armor

Explanation:
The regular Self-Detonate is one of the laggiest moves in the game, and for a reason as it is Warrior Predator's deadliest tool. However, the EX version (Self-Destruct) is almost essentially a waste of super meter. All it does is let Predator take 5% inflicted damage instead of 10%, while keeping the same horrendous frames. I believe EX Self-Destruct should receive improved recovery and one hit of armor. This would tremendously help Warrior overall in many match-ups where he just cannot get his Self-Detonate out reliably without sacrificing damage in combos. Warrior Predator would also be able to use the armor on Self-Destruct in other ways, such as absorbing a projectile from the opponent or using it as a wake-up from full screen.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss. If you have anything you think Warrior Predator should get, feel free to post in here as well.

Last edited:

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I remember being in the lab with this variation for fun first and finding it kinda fun. In actual battle though it was hard to apply a lot of it including his self destruct. He definitely needs some assistance here.

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Thus far I agree with the suggestions you posted. Personally I feel no move in this game should ever be close to 30 frames to do anything. So with that I feel at the very least should be 23 max.

In a previous thread I mentioned that a net gun should be added to his tools if they were going to keep the bomb the way it is. Perhaps similar to the cancels of D'vorah Brood Mother bug gun cancels. It doesn't give frames but it is something that can be implemented in game.

Reactions: REO

Nabeel Robinson

My time will come!
I agree with everything, I hope they make Self Destruct and EX SD have a faster startup. Also a new costume for Predator would be really good!

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
This variation is underestimated imo. Having a advantage on block armored launcher and the utility of EX self-destruct make this variation way better than ppl think.

REO

Undead
This variation is underestimated imo. Having a advantage on block armored launcher and the utility of EX self-destruct make this variation way better than ppl think.
What do you mean by "having an advantage on block armored launcher" and "the utility of EX self-destruct"?

REO

Undead
I say instead of just making dread slam -1 you speed it up to like 15 frames and make it -8 on block so instead of pressure you have a much more viable wake up in this variation
The normal Dread Slam and EX version have different frame data. I really like your idea and it could be applied to the EX version only. It'd have to be a lot more unsafe, though. Probably -16 or more.

This is one of those situations where I wish nrs would implement different strength specials. So say b,f+1 could be faster and unsafe(no gap when canceled into and catches backdash) and one with a gap that's safe but reactable. Would be a great up close mind game.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Would the potential to break the game really be that high if Self Destruct was unblockable? I feel like it should put the fear of god into your opponent and force more than just solid defense out of them. I guess they're trying to avoid guaranteed reset situations again though...

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Guaranteed resets are not going to happen off this it's impossible. Taking this into account and the fact that it self damages, the risk / reward is not on par. REOs suggestion to remove some of the startup (risk) helps improve this

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
I really like your idea and it could be applied to the EX version only. It'd have to be a lot more unsafe, though. Probably -16 or more.
I too believe that Dread Slam needs that kind of approach. No more than 20 frame start up, ex or not. The current ex version is ridiculously useless, ppl blow up 16 frames wake ups sometimes, what's 29 WHOLE FRAMES gonna do?

20 start up, keeping -9 on block is my suggestion

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I agree with these changes! I especially like the changes to the Dread Slam and EX self-destruct honestly.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
You know,it is funny.The game is bleeding,there are huge dysfunctions and people only care about their main.Like something is going to change if your desired buffs come true.
This is not only REO I am talking to,focus on the game,not the chars.Everyone.