What's new

Wanna Main as Quan but have a few Questions and Concerns

So lets start things off with a bit about me I guess. I've never really played any MK games competitively before. I tried to get into SSFIV a while back but my PS3 broke and I never continued it when I got it fixed. I played UMK3 on XBLA for a while, but I only played because it gave me achievements that gave uneven gamerscore so I had to get decent at it to get all the achievements to even it back out.

So long story short, I don't have too much experience with fighting games. I think I know my way around some of the more basic things like the notation you guys use for combos and a few terms but that's it really.

I have only played offline as PSN is down, but throughout story mode and the challenge tower (dang you, number 300!) I think I like Quan Chi the best, just his moves and style and character himself. So here are a few of my questions/problems.

- I'm having problems with a lot of the combos on here because of the b2, 1 dash b2, 1 parts. I can't get it down. Actually juggling in this game is tough for me. Any advice or tips. Maybe an arcade stick controller would be better?

- I've tried to figure it out and I see it mentioned all the time but for the life of me I cannot figure out what a Rune Trap is. I've looked at all Quan's movelist and can't see it at all, what does it mean?

- The Far Ground Blast (DBF is that right?) is clunky and it seems to take a while to shoot off. Because of that reason it doesn't seem to useful to me, unless I'm just doing it slow or something.

And lastly, to start me off does anyone have any easier combos that I can practice to help me get down some more basics. The one I can do pretty good is this:

j.1, 1,1,2 trance 1,1 sky drop.

That seems to work pretty good for me but I know there is much better.

Thanks in advance :)

Error Macro

It April yet?
So lets start things off with a bit about me I guess. I've never really played any MK games competitively before. I tried to get into SSFIV a while back but my PS3 broke and I never continued it when I got it fixed. I played UMK3 on XBLA for a while, but I only played because it gave me achievements that gave uneven gamerscore so I had to get decent at it to get all the achievements to even it back out.

So long story short, I don't have too much experience with fighting games. I think I know my way around some of the more basic things like the notation you guys use for combos and a few terms but that's it really.

I have only played offline as PSN is down, but throughout story mode and the challenge tower (dang you, number 300!) I think I like Quan Chi the best, just his moves and style and character himself. So here are a few of my questions/problems.

- I'm having problems with a lot of the combos on here because of the b2, 1 dash b2, 1 parts. I can't get it down. Actually juggling in this game is tough for me. Any advice or tips. Maybe an arcade stick controller would be better?

- I've tried to figure it out and I see it mentioned all the time but for the life of me I cannot figure out what a Rune Trap is. I've looked at all Quan's movelist and can't see it at all, what does it mean?

- The Far Ground Blast (DBF is that right?) is clunky and it seems to take a while to shoot off. Because of that reason it doesn't seem to useful to me, unless I'm just doing it slow or something.

And lastly, to start me off does anyone have any easier combos that I can practice to help me get down some more basics. The one I can do pretty good is this:

The rune trap is his 2,1 string is followed by an enhanced rune. The guy will be in blockstun for so long he cant avoid the unblockable. It's about 14% with the 2,1 chip for one bar guaranteed off of a blocked 2. There are tons of combos that end in a rune trap. He has no need for X-Ray becuase of this

SZSR

Noob
Welcome to testyourmight. While i'm certainly not a Quan Chi guy i'll try to help out with your game play
You don't need a stick but it is important to go with what is comfortable for you, if you've been on pad try playing on stick for a couple of days, if you get a good feel with it go with it. As for general combos just go to practice mode and go down your moveslist to help start you out. Try also going through tutorial mode a couple times to engrave the basics of game play in your head to help you figure out what works for characters in general.

- I'm having problems with a lot of the combos on here because of the b2, 1 dash b2, 1 parts.
After B2, 1, immediately dash and then immediately go into B2, 1. You don't need to do the full dash to start into another combo.
All of the non ex ground blasts are useless. Especially against teleporters.

And lastly, to start me off does anyone have any easier combos that I can practice to help me get down some more basics.
B3, 1+2 dash 1, 1, 2 BF3 1, 1, DB3

F1, 2, BF3, 1, 1, DB3

U3, trance, 1, 1, DB3

The first two combos hit low, and the last one is an over head. They all end in a teleport so you can immediately put on more pressure, including a 50/50 mix up (using an over head or a low attack) rune trap, 1 and immediately do a throw, or just jab pressure.

Even though it is pretty useless, it can be nice too have the technique down for far ground blast. I figure you are using a pad like me. Go into practice and do Down,Back while doing something else and just finish with Forward 1. "Buffering" the down back. It helped me knowing i dont have to rush from Back to Forward.

on your combo:

j.1, 1,1,2 trance [you can fit a jump in 1 or 2 here for alittle extra dmg] 1,1 sky drop.

And if they are blocking 1,1,2 preform d,b,2 (projectile, should be safe) for some extra chip-dmg and meter.

Smoo

Noob
Quan Chi is a load of fun and I play him pretty much exclusively. Practice has paid off and I feel he's got options at all ranges.

Random thoughts:
-I have a lot of lot leading in to combos with F+1, 2, trance because people don't expect that 2 to hit low.
-Teleport behind and throw tends to be pretty successful if you use it well
-EX Ground blasts are great for when someone is getting up off the ground and have a little bit of life left at a match. You can finish them without any risk to yourself.

Also, don't worry too much about the dashing. I suggest making sure you can nail his simpler combos every time. Then, take the time to practice the dashing combos later. I can do a combo with one dash in it but the second dash is a bit iffy. I'll get it soon enough; it's just practice, but I think a feeling of comfort that comes after playing for a while helps you to be more successful in learning the tighter timing of the more damaging combos.

I feel Quan Chi is unexpected, difficult, stylish, and fun. All perfect reasons to use him :)

Anyone noticed in the EMP Arcadia tourament stream when Tom Brady was playing casuals and was using Quan Chi; whenever he used Trance, he was could basically dash after using the move. He didn't have to wait until the opponent approached him. I'm wondering if there is some cancel to make Trance eaiser(block button, perhaps?)...

The stream was so terrible once they started the tournament so they had to upload it to youtube; it would black out, freeze, anything else you can think of. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they uploaded the casual matches played before the tournament.

Thanks for all the advice guys, this combined with the rest of the threads has really improved my game. Now that Psn is back I have played some matches and need some advice on certain match ups. My big 2 are Kung and Smoke.

On Kung I can't seem too get in on him, I get hit by that spin attack constantly, I just seem to get zoned badly.

Smoke isn't too bad but advice for him would be wonderful.

Thanks again:)

Don't do jump-ins vs kung lau, spin punishes so much. Instead try to get in for some b3,1+2 combo starters. If they are good with their BnB Kund lau combos break them early and often.

Smoke has better zoning then Quan, cancel dashes into blocks to close distance fast and safe. Or if you read a smokebomb incoming you can do b,d,3(hold forward) to close the gaps. Again, use b3,1+2 alot. It is fast and people are not used to it yet. I hits low then Mid, pretty rare.

S

Here is a minor improvement to your combo

b3 1+2, 1 1 2 trance,b3 1+2 uppercut that is one string that i use a lot as quan the other is easier to hit off tho and is
1 1 2 trance b 2 1 dash f 1 2 1+2
hope that helps bro also you can always rune trap instead of the 1+2 @ the end =]

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Quan is pretty illmatic, once you get your combos down, you can start trying this combo

Credit to Shujinkydink

b+2,1 dash b+2,1, dash 1,1,2 trance, jump in punch, 2,1,ex skull, jumpin punch 2,1, exrune, 2,1, exrune (if he's not blocking after the 2,1, ex rune I usually do a u+3, trance or another mixup, throw is pretty viable as well.)

If the last portion is not blocked it can do up to 75ish% dmg.... cool thing about it is that the ex skull to 2,1, runes traps the opponent, so they're forced to block or breaker. Even if they do block after the ex skull, they're still gonna get hit with about 67ish% dmg. Sad thing is that it drains your meter.

If you're having trouble dashing with the b+2,1 you can always do any of the three to start it.

Like BoysBoysBoys posted

b+3, 1+2, 1,1,2 trance for about 65% unblocked 57% blocked
f+1,2 xx trance for about 60% unblocked 50% blocked
u+3 trance for about 57% unblocked 48% blocked

You can add jump ins to all of them for some additional dmg. Hope this helps you.

P.S. Did anyone find a viable use of boost? I only use it as EXBOOST, EXTELE(whiff), FATALITY or land the tele and just sit pink in my chair.

EDIT: lol this thread is old

Robotic

Gentleman.
What's up Admiral? When's TheWharf comin up again?

I just picked up Quan Chi after a long Hhiatus and wanted to extend my thanks to the peeps posting in here. You guys have alot of good ideas to apply in game and keep Quan Chi scary. I just hope REO doesn't forget his matchup thread...that was shaping up to be an alpha dog thread if there ever was one.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Oh it was up last night, you missed out :p I got a pretty hectic schedule this week with work. I fucking hate Wells Fargo... Anyway, I'd be down for some 1v1's

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Quan is pretty illmatic, once you get your combos down, you can start trying this combo

Credit to Shujinkydink

b+2,1 dash b+2,1, dash 1,1,2 trance, jump in punch, 2,1,ex skull, jumpin punch 2,1, exrune, 2,1, exrune (if he's not blocking after the 2,1, ex rune I usually do a u+3, trance or another mixup, throw is pretty viable as well.)

If the last portion is not blocked it can do up to 75ish% dmg.... cool thing about it is that the ex skull to 2,1, runes traps the opponent, so they're forced to block or breaker. Even if they do block after the ex skull, they're still gonna get hit with about 67ish% dmg. Sad thing is that it drains your meter.

If you're having trouble dashing with the b+2,1 you can always do any of the three to start it.

Like BoysBoysBoys posted

b+3, 1+2, 1,1,2 trance for about 65% unblocked 57% blocked
f+1,2 xx trance for about 60% unblocked 50% blocked
u+3 trance for about 57% unblocked 48% blocked

You can add jump ins to all of them for some additional dmg. Hope this helps you.

P.S. Did anyone find a viable use of boost? I only use it as EXBOOST, EXTELE(whiff), FATALITY or land the tele and just sit pink in my chair.

EDIT: lol this thread is old
Can you get any mixups with the free jump in attempt after the EX skull? I posted something in the QA thread wondering about how much advantage or disadvantage your are after a blocked jump in punch or kick.

Also wouldn't 11 sky drop then 3 rune traps do more dmg then what you posted?

New to Quan chi so sorry if anything I posted is dum :D

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I do b3 1+2, 11, 112, Trance, JIP 11, Tele stomp ~ 21 EX rune etc. (until meterless) then 11~ (if opponent doesn't block the 11 then I do ~2, Trance, and repeat the setup. If they do block and I try and go in for a throw, and trance to stop their wakeups if the throw lands)

If I get all of it done with 3 meters and the throw, its rougly 80% damage

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I do b3 1+2, 11, 112, Trance, JIP 11, Tele stomp ~ 21 EX rune etc. (until meterless) then 11~ (if opponent doesn't block the 11 then I do ~2, Trance, and repeat the setup. If they do block and I try and go in for a throw, and trance to stop their wakeups if the throw lands)

If I get all of it done with 3 meters and the throw, its rougly 80% damage
They nerfed telestomp, so that it is not as advantage on hit. If your opponent sits there and blocks, he'll eat the runetrap, but he can jump out of it after the stomp. That's why I use exskull, guaranteed no escape (aside from breakers and a few xrays)

Can you get any mixups with the free jump in attempt after the EX skull? I posted something in the QA thread wondering about how much advantage or disadvantage your are after a blocked jump in punch or kick.

Also wouldn't 11 sky drop then 3 rune traps do more dmg then what you posted?

New to Quan chi so sorry if anything I posted is dum :D
Well, off the ex skull you can do a safe jump and mix up from there (i.e. Ex Skull, jumpin punch, b+3,1+2, etc etc)

If you guess right each time, or train your opponent, you can literally keep this going forever. Remember, they are building a lot of meter while doing this, while you are only building less than a bar. So, they can breaker out of it. I've been trying to work in EX Trance instead of the last EX Rune, so I can get rid of breakers.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
They nerfed telestomp, so that it is not as advantage on hit. If your opponent sits there and blocks, he'll eat the runetrap, but he can jump out of it after the stomp. That's why I use exskull, guaranteed no escape (aside from breakers and a few xrays)

Well, off the ex skull you can do a safe jump and mix up from there (i.e. Ex Skull, jumpin punch, b+3,1+2, etc etc)

If you guess right each time, or train your opponent, you can literally keep this going forever. Remember, they are building a lot of meter while doing this, while you are only building less than a bar. So, they can breaker out of it. I've been trying to work in EX Trance instead of the last EX Rune, so I can get rid of breakers.
Thnx after the blocked jump in punch is a mixup guaranteed? Or can you be interrupted - i'm gonna guess a fast special should interrupt you? I really wish practice wasn't so shitty so I could test this stuff out.

If the mixup is guaranteed then I guess Quan chi can still do what he did before the skydrop nerf you just have to spend a bar each time.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Umm it's not a guaranteed mixup, it can be interrupted....but it's pretty damn close.

Hell, even a ninja uppercut between the b+3 and the 1+2 can connect.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I tested it by setting the computer to jump in training mode, probably not the most accurate way but thats the only way I could've done it really. After the tele stomp I can definitely get the 2 in without them even lifting off of the ground. Works 100% of the time online too so thats good enough for me~