What's new

Question Walk or Jump?

SpineRip

Noob
I just realized that I rarely walk in a fighting game.

If I'm mid-screen, my opponent is not stunned, and I want to move closer, I'll jump forward 100% of the time.

When the opponent is stunned then I will run or dash forward. I'd only walk forward to get in place for a fatality or a combo.

Also, I cannot think of one instance in my life where I've ever taken a walking step backwards during normal combat. I always jump back, unless a back dash is an option, but even it is, it's rare that I use it.

I think I learned to jump from the original MK games where I felt like a jump kick would be safer than walking into a projectile or roundhouse, but with the current NRS games, it seems like a dangerous strategy, and I'm wondering if I need to change it..

So I'm curious, how often do you walk, compared to how much you jump?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Depends on the game and the character, but typically you don't want to jump for movement, just for offense. Walking is just all-around safer.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
But in all seriousness jumping is really strong in this game with certain characters especially with the armor launcher nerfs, there aren't very many threatening anti-airs. So just be smart about it pretty much.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
So, me being a Leatherface main...my run is only okay and my jump is ass but so is my walk speed...basically if there's a huge space between me and my opponent I either waddle my ass over if I have no bar and they're zoning, armor the fuck through because lul bf3 or I run in F1 because lul 7f advancing high.

Espio

Kokomo
Walking is the cream of the crop in terms of mind games because while walking you can jump, poke, dash on a dime as you're not committed to anything and you can use all of this to set up whiff punishes, jumps, your anti-air or getting people to rush in on you to punish them and other types of offensive and defensive shenanigans.

Walking is such a strong tool, especially if your characters can walk forward or backwards quickly.

In most fighting games, I love walking back as it gives me so much control or with a lifelead and just reacting to your opponents actions is a strategic and important reward for solid play. You're in control, there is no need to overextend yourself.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Walking is the cream of the crop in terms of mind games because while walking you can jump, poke, dash on a dime as you're not committed to anything and you can use all of this to set up whiff punishes, jumps, your anti-air or getting people to rush in on you to punish them and other types of offensive and defensive shenanigans.

Walking is such a strong tool, especially if your characters can walk forward or backwards quickly.

In most fighting games, I love walking back as it gives me so much control or with a lifelead and just reacting to your opponents actions is a strategic and important reward for solid play. You're in control, there is no need to overextend yourself.
There is only one walk... punch walk

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
If I'm jumping against really good players (even the jumps I'll blame on the ps4 dpad) I may as well just aim a gun at my foot.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I just realized that I rarely walk in a fighting game.

If I'm mid-screen, my opponent is not stunned, and I want to move closer, I'll jump forward 100% of the time.
This is when you get AAd by decent players.

When the opponent is stunned then I will run or dash forward. I'd only walk forward to get in place for a fatality or a combo.
Spacing is important. Learn it.

Also, I cannot think of one instance in my life where I've ever taken a walking step backwards during normal combat. I always jump back, unless a back dash is an option, but even it is, it's rare that I use it.
Characters that can catch you with a teleport or projectile will eventually do so. Good players catch onto habits like this and capitalise on them.

I think I learned to jump from the original MK games where I felt like a jump kick would be safer than walking into a projectile or roundhouse, but with the current NRS games, it seems like a dangerous strategy, and I'm wondering if I need to change it..
Yes.

So I'm curious, how often do you walk, compared to how much you jump?
Jump when:
- Anti-airing with a jumping move.
- You're Kitana or Cassie and/or have instant-air moves.
- The opponent is performing a low or a throw in the corner.
- You scored a knockdown and you get a safe jip into a combo or pressure.

Run when:
- Scored a fullscreen knockdown
- Mid-combo
- To punish unsafe moves far away

Walk when:
Every other instance.
Walk has a 33 mixup with blocking and ducking. It's strong.

Noob
I always walk. I always take random steps back when I have stepped into their range of attacks, in hopes they hit a button and I can get them on whiff. That's a habit from SF games since you stay safe as holding back would be a block. I find it works super well when I play Cassie Hollywood. I dash in when I want to close a gap quick that I feel will punish them on. I don't dash if there is anything they can do to catch me out for it. And I only run when I need it in a combo. I like to have stamina. And a back dash is rare. And pretty much only when I am on top of their downed body and notice they have meter.

I play like this 90% of the time. And when I feel an opponent notices I am playing safe and they start to expect me to play a certain way, I will do something that isn't safe and catch them off guard almost all the time. And chances are if they stop my unsafe move they wont be ready for a full punish combo anyway.

I only jump in if I am going for an attack. Even if you are far away and your jump in wont get you close enough to hit them, or they wont be able to hit you, I see it as a bad move to get in since you are predictable and can eat a projectile as you are landing. Depending on the projectile and the opponent that can lead to a full combo. Kitana can get around 50% with a bar on this I think.

Jumping back I will do sometimes just to be silly, I will land with a buffered projectile, and I like to do it on an opponents wake up. Sometimes they will whiff and you are safe, sometimes they wiff and the recovery is slow and you get a hit where you are often in close enough to run up punish (so I run in two instances.), sometimes they will dash in and you get them with the projectile as well. Over time this gets them to wake up block when they see me go air born, which leads me to start buffering a run on the back jump into a throw (won't count that as a 3rd run instance.).

SpineRip

Noob
Thanks everyone!
But in all seriousness jumping is really strong in this game with certain characters especially with the armor launcher nerfs, there aren't very many threatening anti-airs. So just be smart about it pretty much.
Sounds good. I realize that jumping is a good tactic when used wisely, but for some reason I just never adopted walking and it never enters my mind as something to do while in combat, but I definitely want to at least add walking to my list of possibilities.

Thanks, makes a lot of sense!

I took a long break from video games roughly seven years ago, which by coincidence wasn't long after MK:Armageddon came out. I just got back into gaming and got a PS4, but got a copy of MK9 for my PC last week to get me used to the new NRS mechanics before getting MKXL.

I don't think I ever focused on "footsies" and strategies like that until just now, when I got into MK9. After reading up on it and such, I realized that I just straight-up never walk, so it's nice to read the benefits to doing it. Thanks!
This is when you get AAd by decent players.

Spacing is important. Learn it.

Characters that can catch you with a teleport or projectile will eventually do so. Good players catch onto habits like this and capitalise on them.

Jump when:
- Anti-airing with a jumping move.
- You're Kitana or Cassie and/or have instant-air moves.
- The opponent is performing a low or a throw in the corner.
- You scored a knockdown and you get a safe jip into a combo or pressure.

Run when:
- Scored a fullscreen knockdown
- Mid-combo
- To punish unsafe moves far away

Walk when:
Every other instance.
Walk has a 33 mixup with blocking and ducking. It's strong.
Nice! I appreciate your recommendation/tips of when and where to do the various techniques. I'll woodshed it out tonight.
I always walk. I always take random steps back when I have stepped into their range of attacks, in hopes they hit a button and I can get them on whiff. That's a habit from SF games since you stay safe as holding back would be a block. I find it works super well when I play Cassie Hollywood. I dash in when I want to close a gap quick that I feel will punish them on. I don't dash if there is anything they can do to catch me out for it. And I only run when I need it in a combo. I like to have stamina. And a back dash is rare. And pretty much only when I am on top of their downed body and notice they have meter.

I play like this 90% of the time. And when I feel an opponent notices I am playing safe and they start to expect me to play a certain way, I will do something that isn't safe and catch them off guard almost all the time. And chances are if they stop my unsafe move they wont be ready for a full punish combo anyway.

I only jump in if I am going for an attack. Even if you are far away and your jump in wont get you close enough to hit them, or they wont be able to hit you, I see it as a bad move to get in since you are predictable and can eat a projectile as you are landing. Depending on the projectile and the opponent that can lead to a full combo. Kitana can get around 50% with a bar on this I think.

Jumping back I will do sometimes just to be silly, I will land with a buffered projectile, and I like to do it on an opponents wake up. Sometimes they will whiff and you are safe, sometimes they wiff and the recovery is slow and you get a hit where you are often in close enough to run up punish (so I run in two instances.), sometimes they will dash in and you get them with the projectile as well. Over time this gets them to wake up block when they see me go air born, which leads me to start buffering a run on the back jump into a throw (won't count that as a 3rd run instance.).
Nice write up as well - thanks!

I should share that I'm a very aggressive, rushing type player. Most of my forward jumps are in hopes to begin a big combo, or jump kick someone who seems open to getting hit by one, or maybe just to provoke action. I don't usually jump forward just to get closer, there's usually always a punch or kick involved.

One of my biggest issues, may not actually be that I don't walk, but rather that I'm very impatient in fighting games. I don't like it when both fighters are throwing projectiles from a far and we're just ducking each others, as I'll always try to close the gap to get on with the action, even if it leads to me landing on an uppercut... That's probably my biggest issue I need to address.

Maybe if I try to incorporate walking more in my style, then it will lead to me being a bit more patient? I'm not sure, but I'll try it out tonight.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
But fr there are a lot of characters with just stupid jump attacks or air options so it's okay to jump all the time. My main is Jax so a lot of the times I pretty much don't ever wanna jump unless it's on a jump over

Noob
Just play a few games without jumping at all and see how you feel with it. The best thing you can do right now is untrain that habit. It will only hurt you when you try and progress. If you are jumping your options are limited.

If you are walking you have access to everything. And jumping leaves you super predictable. Same as zoning. When a character is keeping distance and zoning you have the upper hand because you know their options so you know how to deal with it. But don't block out different play styles. Sometimes I like to zone, it pisses my opponents off and that is an advantage to me. Most MKX players are rush down. It comes with the game. Just try an not limit your self. You may find your self playing against an opponent that has a great rush down game. And if you were good at zoning you could keep them out a bit. If they suck at dealing with zoning game play you are in the best position.

I come across very few players who stray from their set style. And the ones who don't, or cant, are no match at all.

this is honestly a great question and this can improve your game play. There are certain times for everything and a lot of people just jump which can be really bad. Walking in fact can make you a better player. If you keep jumping at me im just gonna AA you every time. Keeping you feet on the ground can give you great advantages, just by knocking them down then walking towards them can bait wakeups, and honestly make you a better player overall. If they whiff something you run up and punish. Choose when you jump, run, and walk

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Walking is great, especially if your main is Sub Zero judging from your profile pic, he has some good moves like F4 which can lead to a combo on someone who was whiffed a move, you can also slide on reaction if they do something, EXice ball their projectile, or just walk back and forth throwing ice balls out.
B2 also has a large deceptive range which catches a lot of people and is pretty safe at max distance.
Using GM Sub can also cause players to do stupid things and run in on you if you just walk and turtle behind your clone.

SpineRip

Noob
Thanks everyone for your help!

I played a bit tonight and definitely worked on reducing my jumping and increasing my walking, and it certainly bettered my game.

I still have a hard time breaking the habit of jumping backwards though, but I know I need to correct it because I'd occasionally land on a well-timed projectile... Walking backwards is just so foreign to me at this time, but I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again.