What's new

Wakeups in Injustice 2 Are Not Actually Invincible

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Something I've noticed while working on tech and stuff in the lab is that wakeups aren't REALLY invincible. It looks like it's possible for most characters to stuff a decent amount of wakeups with any normal provided they have enough frame advantage, here are some examples I have from when I was labbing other tech and happened to get this to happen:

Is this normal for Injustice and am I just stupid? Should this be fixed if this shouldn't be happening?

7L

Heads up!
Yeah, I noticed this. Looks like NRS players get to level up and learn meaty timings for their characters. This is a really good thing

Tweedy

Noob
Idk if the title is clickbait or what take$$$$. They are invincible, some just don't have enough invincibility frames. A lot of these can be stuffed but you won't see it in real matches. Far from practical with some of them.

Black Adam's lightning cage is one of the easiest to stuff, along with Superman's dash punch.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Every special move can be done as a wakeup attack(plus backdash and throw). Most wakeup attacks gain no invincibility but some do, anywhere around 1-3 per character. The invincibility varies. Some moves are fully invincible and some only have limited invincibility, so they can be stuffed. For some moves the invincibility is gone early into the move and it's easy to stuff, sometimes it's only a few frames and it's very difficult.

The timing of when you do the wakeup attack during the knockdown can throw off the opponent's attempt to stuff it. For example, if you input the wakeup late it may still have invincibility when your opponent is trying to stuff it to beat a fast input wakeup attack.

You can delay wakeup by holding flip stance. There is a short and long delay depending on how it is held. If you delay wakeup you disable the ability to do a wakeup attack.

Pro tips:
I've seen a few wakeup attacks complained about as being too good or free that are not actually fully invincible and could be stuffed. This will be a key skill to learn and you can expect the super top players to have mastered this while others don't get it. So if you want to make some of that e-sports money I'd spend a lot of time on this.

On the flip side, by mixing up your timing and throwing in the delayed wakeup you can throw off someone who's good at stuffing these semi invincible wakeups. So don't flip out and assume you literally can never wakeup if your character lacks a fully invincible wakeup attack.
Read this^

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Idk if the title is clickbait or what take$$$$. They are invincible, some just don't have enough invincibility frames. A lot of these can be stuffed but you won't see it in real matches. Far from practical with some of them.

Black Adam's lightning cage is one of the easiest to stuff, along with Superman's dash punch.
Well yeah, but a lot of these just don't look right to me, but this is my first injustice which is why I'm making this and asking if it's normal or not while posting examples.

Pistola de plata

Speak of the devil and he shall appear
Yup, thank goodness for delayed wake up on hard knockdown. There are so many more mind games in I2 by them adding Air tech escape and delayed wake up..it just makes it that much more intense.

btw OP I'm cheetah main, Can she wakeup grab you out of that D3? Or backdash?

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
This has been a thing since Injustice 1, some are fully invincible but most aren't and can be stuffed, some are just straight up easy to stuff like Black Adam's.

So far the only fully invincible ones I've noticed are Firestorm's charge, Superman's rising grab (loses invincibility once he is in the air tho), Flash's thingy, Catwoman's rising claws, Cheetah's rising claws and Green Lantern's wall... that's just off the top of my head so there must be a few more.
Some are hard to stuff like Fate's push but some characters have set-ups so it's actually something key for some characters (Cheetah for example, will take advantage of non-invincible wake-ups a lot)

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord

You will actually see this happening a lot in the future, it's key for some characters.
Just watch 16Bit play in IGAU... It was a big part of Catwoman's game.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Read this^
Thank you!!!

This has been a thing since Injustice 1, some are fully invincible but most aren't and can be stuffed, some are just straight up easy to stuff like Black Adam's.

So far the only fully invincible ones I've noticed are Firestorm's charge, Superman's rising grab (loses invincibility once he is in the air tho), Flash's thingy, Catwoman's rising claws, Cheetah's rising claws and Green Lantern's wall... that's just off the top of my head so there must be a few more.
Some are hard to stuff like Fate's push but some characters have set-ups so it's actually something key for some characters (Cheetah for example, will take advantage of non-invincible wake-ups a lot)
If Cheetah's is fully invincible, then is this:

Happening because I'm low profiling the mid?

Tweedy

Noob

Lantern's wall isn't fully invincible.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Lantern's wall isn't fully invincible.
What!? I swear I tested it a lot lol, my bad!

Thank you!!!

If Cheetah's is fully invincible, then is this:

Happening because I'm low profiling the mid?
Yeah, you're actually low profiling it there, if you could stuff it with a standing normal it would be non-invincible... Or maybe I tested it wrong? I'll test again just now.

Tweedy

Noob
darkseid's knee seems to be fully invincible on start up. That or it's just really impractical to stuff. I got Lantern's on the 2nd try and i'm like 0/20 on his.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
@Take$$$ after testing it yeah, you were just low profiling it.

I also tested against Green Lantern's wall and his wake-up is incredibly hard to stuff just like his lift in IGAU lol but I found a set-up to stuff it which means it would stuff any other wake-up. I tested it against Cheetah and she beat me so yeah, primal rage is fully-invincible... You can just low profile it like Superman's.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
@Take$$$ after testing it yeah, you were just low profiling it.

I also tested against Green Lantern's wall and his wake-up is incredibly hard to stuff just like his lift in IGAU lol but I found a set-up to stuff it which means it would stuff any other wake-up. I tested it against Cheetah and she beat me so yeah, primal rage is fully-invincible... You can just low profile it like Superman's.
Yeah GL's wall is confusing the fuck out of me. I can stuff it here:

But the wall is obviously out, on me, but it's not hitting me at all. I love weird stuff like this.

Testing all this stuff after knowing it's working as intended is going to be a ton of fun for me. So glad I picked up on this and asked so you all could kindly inform me, instead of not saying anything and being a lesser player for it.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Yeah GL's wall is confusing the fuck out of me. I can stuff it here:

But the wall is obviously out, on me, but it's not hitting me at all. I love weird stuff like this.

Testing all this stuff after knowing it's working as intended is going to be a ton of fun for me. So glad I picked up on this and asked so you all could kindly inform me, instead of not saying anything and being a lesser player for it.
Yeah, it's kinda werid hahaha also the fun part is that you will most likely have to do different set-ups for different characters... Grinding that is a LOT of fun, I play Cheetah and Wonder Woman and stuffing wake-ups is probably my favorite thing to do.

Also I just realized that GL's wall is not invincible at all when you cross him up so maybe that will be an easier way to stuff it but if you do it to early he can correct his inputs and wake-up the other way around.

Maybe we should do a thread with a list of invincible wake-ups and also lost the ones that are harder to stuff just to help out everyone struggling with this.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if invincibility remains after the opponent tech rolls. I've been testing wakeup setups with Cyborg but I'm not sure (like an official statement from NRS).

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
Something I've noticed while working on tech and stuff in the lab is that wakeups aren't REALLY invincible. It looks like it's possible for most characters to stuff a decent amount of wakeups with any normal provided they have enough frame advantage, here are some examples I have from when I was labbing other tech and happened to get this to happen:

Is this normal for Injustice and am I just stupid? Should this be fixed if this shouldn't be happening?
Doesn't mean they're not Invincible they're just not fully Invincible wakeups