What's new

Vs. Turtles

I was wondering if anyone had any strategies for dealing with turtles when playing as Reptile.

I got caught playing a pretty awful Scorpion turtle this evening, and it seemed like a pretty bad match up for Reptile. (It was frustrating because Scorpion matches tend to work in my favour.)

My first instinct was to rush in with dash whiffs and then use Reptile's acid hand or low dash (depending on whether the player was blocking high or low.) But this didn't work out all that well.

I also tried acid spitting from full screen, and this got me some good chip damage and metre, but I got punished with teleports too often for it to be effective.

Does Reptile have any effective tools for dealing with turtles? (Even beyond the Scorp-turtle match up I referenced throughout this.)

GhosT

Noob
well If your playing a turtle scorpion you must have not been used to that because that should be a good matchup and easy win for reptile. What i would do. Feel out if hes trying to rely on ground fire or teleport more. This gives you a good idea of what to expect when you advance or let off block. if its ground fire, see it jump it and let off a force ball followed by spit, it either hits and you get dmg or it wont and you still get chip. If he ground fires and your close jump it and full combo punish.

For a teleporter, just bait him out if hes going to teleport that often. IF hes only using it when he feels its a sure hit. I would take the rushdown method and get into his face. If hes duck blocking which a lot of turtles do go with 122 forceball it will hit him overhead and grant meter and chip if blocked.

Really like everything else its just gonna come down to reads.all your gonna have to do is bait a few teleports or jump a few ground fires and punish and thats gonna mess with his head. Just stay moving forward and use spit/ forceball at random times so its hard for him to judge a Teleport.

Remember most turtlers like this arent that good. and they willl show you a clear pattern, just see it and adjust and you should have no problem.

The player was definitely not good. It's the only time I've ever actually been mad following a loss (I'm pretty casual, and I know it.) I just have no experience at chasing people down when they want to run the last 70 seconds of the match down by blocking and evading.

Thanks for the response, though; I'll keep it in mind next time I come across another similar match.