What's new

VS Sub Zero Matchup Strategy?

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Hi all,

My knowledge of this game is lacking, especially in frame data and matchup.

Can anyone recommend any strategies VS sub zero.

I know instant air-sai owns him, from just about anywhere. Except you have to watchout for his armoured X-Ray. Even with the armour on his enhanced slide. I don't see this changing much, because it still uses meter. In fact, I would rather he kept enhanced sliding instead of breaker or X-Ray.

Here is what I wish to address?

a) General Strategies: Spacing, zoning, recommended anti-air, anti-clone strategies.

I would say Mileena is a ranged fighter, due to instant air sai, D4, and slow normals. But the teleport kick allows her to close the distance at will.

b) Strategies against sub zero's wakeup.

I think the U4 overhead pratically owns Sub Zero's slide. You hop over it, and roll his recovery when he whiffs. I could be wrong though.

How would you guys pressure his wakeup?

c) Strategies on your wake up.

Sometimes I read an attack, input wakeup roll and get stuffed.

d) What's the Bread and Butter punish from both sides given the common scenarios? Blocked slide, Blocked freeze, Blocked teleport kick, Blocked roll, etc

After blocking the slide, I'm not really sure, as to whether I can U4 launcher, or use any other combo. I've just been rolling, and not maximising my damage output.

Thanks.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Hi all,

My knowledge of this game is lacking, especially in frame data and matchup.

Can anyone recommend any strategies VS sub zero.

I know instant air-sai owns him, from just about anywhere. Except you have to watchout for his armoured X-Ray. Even with the armour on his enhanced slide. I don't see this changing much, because it still uses meter. In fact, I would rather he kept enhanced sliding instead of breaker or X-Ray.

Here is what I wish to address?

a) General Strategies: Spacing, zoning, recommended anti-air, anti-clone strategies.

I would say Mileena is a ranged fighter, due to instant air sai, D4, and slow normals. But the teleport kick allows her to close the distance at will.

b) Strategies against sub zero's wakeup.

I think the U4 overhead pratically owns Sub Zero's slide. You hop over it, and roll his recovery when he whiffs. I could be wrong though.

How would you guys pressure his wakeup?

c) Strategies on your wake up.

Sometimes I read an attack, input wakeup roll and get stuffed.

d) What's the Bread and Butter punish from both sides given the common scenarios? Blocked slide, Blocked freeze, Blocked teleport kick, Blocked roll, etc

After blocking the slide, I'm not really sure, as to whether I can U4 launcher, or use any other combo. I've just been rolling, and not maximising my damage output.

Thanks.
Im not a mileena player, but I do play subzero so I can give it to you from subby's point of view.

A) Your general strategy should be to frustrate him into doing risky things. Sub naturally has to be played with a certain amount of risk anyway and this can play into Mileena's hands perfectly. You never need to come to him, hang back and throw airsai's all day long to make him do all the work while you build meter. Ideally by the time he does get to touch you you,ll have meter to break. Basically annoy the shit out of him and play hella cheap and lame. Oh and dont try to play the
D4 game with Subzero. His D4 is even more retarted than yours is lol.

B)Subzero's wakeup is awful against mileena for many reasons other than the one you stated. You should be able to pressure him freely and then back off it doesnt end up going your way. At the very least a knockdown is your opportunity to gain space and resume annoying him to high heaven.

C) Sub really has no wakeup strat against Mileena. He only has one offensive move, the slide, which is pretty useless against her. The best i can hope for is a roll back ice clone and hope you U4 into it.

D) Mileena should be able to do her max damage combos on any punish of a blocked subzero special. All of them are super unsafe.
Off a blocked normal teleport kick Sub can 2,2,iceball,(B1)2,2,1,2,slide which is a pretty standard AA midscreen punish. I use the same punish for roll. For EX tele kick I crouch block it and uppercut. Punishing her teleport kick can depend alot on when she cancels into air sai.

EDIT: Also when your at range zoning him make sure to throw in a few ground sai's to. Sometimes Subby's need to be reminded how risky slide is. He may EX slide to get in and thats fine. Be patient and look for your opportunity to get away(usually after a 2,2,4,clone would be a good place to get away.) You actually want him to burn meter on this. It lessons the chance he will be able to breaker if you get a full combo punish on him and keeps him from getting xray.
Again play lame,lame,lame. It might be boring for you but its the surest path to victory.

Horrible matchup for Liu Kang. SZ can ice clone/zone ice ball all day. Its probably a 6.5-3.5 in subs favor. But the mileena matchup is hard for sub. You can't outzone mileena so punish a blocked telekick and play footsies. Prob a 6-4 matchup in Mileenas favor but can be done.