What's new

VS. Reptile strategy?

I'm really frustrated with this matchup. The matchup chart says this is 6-4 in Reps favor but it feels like 7-3. My main problem is dealing with Elbow spam, can't seem to release block fast enough to punish Elbow. Everytime I try to punish an Elbow I eat another Elbow or a D1/D3/D4 or even an uppercut. He even punishes my jumpins with Elbow. Dashes behind me, then dashes again to hit me right when my feet touch the ground. Even on wakeup I eat Elbows. If I try to punish Elbow with spear he'll just start baiting and punishing with Elbow. WTF?!?!
I just can't figure out what to do in this matchup, some advice would really be appreciated...

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I'm really frustrated with this matchup. The matchup chart says this is 6-4 in Reps favor but it feels like 7-3. My main problem is dealing with Elbow spam, can't seem to release block fast enough to punish Elbow. Everytime I try to punish an Elbow I eat another Elbow or a D1/D3/D4 or even an uppercut. He even punishes my jumpins with Elbow. Dashes behind me, then dashes again to hit me right when my feet touch the ground. Even on wakeup I eat Elbows. If I try to punish Elbow with spear he'll just start baiting and punishing with Elbow. WTF?!?!
I just can't figure out what to do in this matchup, some advice would really be appreciated...
First, how do you punish? E-Dash is only -15 on block and +0 on whiff, so you can't use spear, F4~Spear, or B2 on block and nothing will work on whiff. You can however use 1,1~Spear (12 frames) or 3,3~Spear (10 frames). This will lead you into either your BnB 36% combo or the Vortex.

Second, use Demon Fire. Strangely enough, E-Dash is the only movement option it works consistently on now (unless stale hotfix data is messing with the tracking properties on my system). If you suspect he will go for an E-Dash whiff, go for Demon Fire into pressure.

I've been using 33, grab, 11, can't catch him with anything. He can poke or jump out or spam elbow and I can't do shit. I've been fighting online mostly so it could be 2 or 3 frames of lag fucking me over but I fought some Reps at offline tournaments and still wasn't able to punish Elbow dash. What am I missing here?

Reptile is unbelievable in this game! Only 3 characters have advantages against him! And only 1 is a reasonably good advantage. I am a Reptile user and literally the only way to beat him is to predict his slide and acid hand mix ups. His dash is kind of unsafe so just play on the defensive unless you want to get dashed. Most people are acid handers so you won't have to predict much lows because his sweep is bull. In the end you just want to watch out for dashes and predict his mixups.

Insane

Toasty!
I use 3,3 xx Spear to punish blocked dashes. And don't get predictable with hellfire, your opponent would just jump in on you instead of a whiff dash.

That said, I'm still having trouble with this match-up.

I had a bit of success with this matchup today. I wasn't able to punish Elbow dash but I was able to d1 and force him to block, then I could crossup and start up the vortex. This guy was also spamming slide and that move seems to have a really small hurtbox, couldn't touch him with anything and he just mash Elbow everytime I block a slide lol. Just doesn't seem right to me haha!