What's new

VOTE - The Custom Variation War

How did you choose to play your characters variation wise?

• Custom only

Votes: 133 74.7%
  • Premade only

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Custom 1st, then Premade

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Premade 1st, then Custom

Votes: 24 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fenixy

Noob
100% agree. With custom variations, people will figure out the best combinations, and 60% of special moves will never be used.
Using a low tier variations in MKX had its charm, but equipping a bad move instead of a good one, it's not appealing at all.
The thing is, meta will evolve into a few viable movesets regardless of it being custom or preset variation. The same thing will happen with preset varriations as well (source: every character based game in existence). So what's the point of limiting players, when players will do it themselves and mabye will have more fun while doing so?

KRYS9984

Noob
Premade mostly; I always had a third available slot and didn't add anything to it.

However, I did customize in tower play to try out the abilities that were not included in the premade variations; it was pretty much the only way to do it.

Last edited:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Premades for everyone except Skarlet.
Chain Reaction, Gutted, Not Easy Being, Bladed and Jaded.
O Negative, I messed with and ran ladders with different stuff to see what worked, because Skarlet is bae and that's just what it is. I love that teleport. I dont care if it's not great right now. There's something terrifying to me about Skarlet being that mobile.
I did so specifically because I knew this shit was gonna happen once the beta was over.
And I am definitely pro-variations for tournaments, but I still think it's pretty dirty that this was drug out for so long before anything was said.

The thing is, meta will evolve into a few viable movesets regardless of it being custom or preset variation. The same thing will happen with preset varriations as well (source: every character based game in existence). So what's the point of limiting players, when players will do it themselves and mabye will have more fun while doing so?
I explained exactly that point in the last sentence: "Using a low tier variations in MKX had its charm, but equipping a bad move instead of a good one, it's not appealing at all".

If they go for custom variations, we will see 1 million scorpions, and 99% of them with the same moveset. The same will apply to all characters, and we will have here threads every day bitching that "custom var are a lie, everybody uses the same shit".

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I went premade to test out moves and then used custom.

Interestingly, Jade's "It's not Easy Being" was the perfect variation for me. After attempting to customise her, I found the variation right for me.

The others I used my own.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I played one variation for a few matches, then changed a move a played another few matches, then changed another move and played some few matches and so on, until I came up with a custom variation I felt suited me best for most match-ups. None of the prest Jae variations suited, I had to create my own. NRS, please don't take this away :(

I'm pretty disappointed by this whole custom variation thing as well. Total let down.

I didnt know they were getting blown up that bad on Twitter though. Might be a stretch, but I feel like they are going to change their decision due to all this backlash. I feel as if everyone should NOT let up on voicing their opinion. If everyone keeps providing constructive criticism and letting them know what they want, then i feel like it will only be a matter of time they change it.

Could be wrong though

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
This last reveal was a HUGE hype killer.

Not only tournaments, but also ranked will be pre mades only. Plus if I want to play with my own custom variations in casual I'll have to deal with augments.

They couldn't have done it worse. I seriously hope NRS sees the overwhelmingly negative feedback and changes things before release.

Also let's not forget that they made tag team offline only, and God only knows why.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I couldn't play any pre-made one, and some abilities felt a little harder to learn without the proper sinergy with some other specials, so i played custom and as the time went i tried to find new combinations with new specials to fully learn a character.

If honestly NRS is planing to give people pre-set variations limiting itself of using the 3 slots, might as well leave as it is and we decide that on our own.

But if they're planning on giving 2 variations and include all moves in between the two then that's for the best, but if they want to make presets with the 3 slots they gave us, once again, might as well let it rock.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Premade loadouts? OOOH, you mean those things I deleted to make room for more kustom ones since we only had 5 variation slots total, lol. People used those? Huh.

EDIT: I also always Kustom, I prefer to think for myself and like having options to chose from. Presets, unless the final ones are better felt like picking the pre-made options at a custom sandwich shop... like you are doing it wrong and need to think for yourself, lol.

EDIT 2: UNLESS their official presets break the rules and equip some moves because of slot points or other limitations that we couldn't make using kustom. Like Scorpion Chain Reaction having Deathspin, Kombos, and Burning Spear enhancer. Which would help that variation be better BUT cannot be done in Kustom.

Last edited:

Derico

Banned
I'm pretty disappointed by this whole custom variation thing as well. Total let down.

I didnt know they were getting blown up that bad on Twitter though. Might be a stretch, but I feel like they are going to change their decision due to all this backlash. I feel as if everyone should NOT let up on voicing their opinion. If everyone keeps providing constructive criticism and letting them know what they want, then i feel like it will only be a matter of time they change it.

Could be wrong though
Being respectful, there's no problem! They ask for feedback, that was the beta purpose.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
The only reason I played premade was fear that kustom wouldn't be tournament legal, or laziness because the kustoms didn't save.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I did customs only, played nothing but Scorpion.

I found out pretty quickly that I'd be epically cucking myself if I didn't have misery blade equipped because of Scorpion's shitty frame data. It was actually a really fun ability, using the mixups, canceling out of it and going back into it, or canceling and going into a throw. It wasn't busted, it just gave Scorpion the ability to do something other than a) yolo tele or b) sit still and hope your opponent fucks up so you can punish with tele or whiff punish with B14 or something or C) literally nothing but footsies all game. I used demon dash as the third slot, it complimented scorpion's whiff punishing abilities and was great for catching jumps or some decent damage as an ender.

The more I think about my time with Scorpion and his "custom" variations, I feel that there really was no other way to equip him than with misery blade and demon dash. It kinda just gave the illusion of choice, because this was the best, easiest, and imo the funnest way to play Scorpion. Who would give up misery for a shitty NJP or demon dash for a shitty unsafe chain flip.

That being said, I didn't touch Jade, Kabal, Baraka, or Skarlet so I don't know if they had a loadout like Scorpion that is without question the best (and only) way to use them, or if they had several great loadouts. For Scorpion's sake, I hope his preset variations are completely different when the game drops, or they make his chain specials not suck, or give him literally one string that is safe, or add misery blade to one of his preset variations. Cause if Scorpion is expected to be used as is without access to misery blade, the guy isn't gonna have a good time at all in this game (for the Lin Kuei indeed :DOGE). Although it is just the beta, so if custom variations really are dead, hopefully they make the presets not suck so hard and at least use up all three slots lmao. That goes for everyone, not just Scorpion.
Ninjakilla was using chain reaction