What's new

Vortex

Should vortex be a 'thing' in fighting games ?

• Total voters

Wigy

There it is...
For me its cheesy and requires no skill. I mean generally its balanced, but im not a fan. Sick of eating +/safe 50/50s in this game.

Waiting for smoke players to come in and defend them. Cyrax has to eat that shit all day, no armour.

Ermacs is totally fine

Last edited:

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
I'm ok with vortexes, but it needs to meet some conditions. A vortex doesn't have to have all of these but one or two make it a much riskier/fairer set up to use or to be put in

has an armourable gap (2-3 frames, nothing you can poke out of for free)

punishable Low or OH (maybe both, if so you can scratch the last requirement on this line) that can be made safe (NOT plus) with a bar, that doesn't launch.

fuzzyable (scorpions is a good example), I say this is an absolute requirement as it makes the guess work on the receiving end much easier, and encourages the player enforcing the vortex to stagger their mix ups, which in turn allows for an opportunity to poke out on a hard read.

requires least optimal damage, somewhere around mid to low 20s. this gives you at least 4-5 chances to guess right, even if its on the third or fourth guess you still have enough life to possibly make a comeback.

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
If there will be a situation where a vortex should exist, I think it should be unsafe once you block it (Ermac's ok but honestly he doesn't have to be unsafe if he sacrifices damage) , not plus enough for a guaranteed overhead or low maybe have the option to armor or backdash.. Im ok if its a mindgame of 'oh Im not plus enough but maybe I can sneak in my overhead or low / dash up and bait an armor move/ backdash. ' that gives opponents the option of poking out on a read. Adding these kinda layers will give options to both players. Vortexes that are damaging is ridiculous. 3 reps max on full life and your dead with no options other than praying you guess right.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
Vortexes imo are fine

However, I hate to see a game in which almost every character has a vortex.

Also I don't think safe vortexes should be a thing.

Scorpion in mk9 had the best representation of what a vortex should be like imo (High risk/high reward.)

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Bro, I don't WANT you to play the game. If I can kill you with one solid go, I'm gonna do it:p

ando1184

Noob
Vortexes are fine and are quite common in fighting games, but they need to have an equivalent risk/reward factor or close to it. An NRS vortex breaks that rule and games like mkx become over saturated with them everywhere. Hopefully within the next coming titles they will get it right. I'd like to see mk11 have more "depth" and focus around player vs player, over giving the characters themselves tools that take the player out of the equation.