What's new

Villains in the FGC and eSports

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Dragon was a villan for a very short time, but he quickly apologized in very humble way, witch makes him a good guy to me.

Cowboy I don't know, personally I like him and after beating ForeverKing in that FT10 he didn't rub it in too much. I don't think he qualifies as villan either.

Tweedy is the villan of the moment.
Yea everything u typed backs up and reaffirms my post above describing the scene and hype

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
This thread is weird, but I'll bite.

I don't even see how Tweedy can be considered a villain. He's obviously just trying to go into matches against Fox with some confidence and build up some hype in the process. But anyone who saw him post after the KC set could tell that he took it hard. I'm sure he will come back strong and bring back some friendly shit talk, but neither of those things do a villain make.

As far as Fox goes, I subscribe to the old school mentality in that I like seeing someone dominate so convincingly. I don't care how long it takes for someone to dethrone him, when it happens it's gonna be fucking hype. Until that happens, I will keep enjoying watching our community have a supreme champion while everyeone else works to git gud.

We got a taste of it about a month ago..I was at SCR, and the energy in the room when Scar eliminated him was incredible. The long and short of it is, players are going to need to step up and beat him. And then someone will need to do it consistently. The kid's too damn nice to even be considered a villain despite clearly being our communities reigning overlord. The whole situation Is like when JOP was destroying everyone back in the day in Tekken, and when Slips finally beat him it was the craziest shit ever.

Hell, as I type this, I don't even think I can consider anyone a true villain in this community. @Pig Of The Hut touched on it a bit earlier in the thread that those at the top just don't have that villain gene. Not that it's bad, but everyone is just super nice and humble. Which is fine, but it surely doesn't bring the hype like we had when VSM vs PL vs MidWest vs EastCoast was going on. It's kinda boring and speaks to an odd generational paradigm shift happening in our community; Top players are getting younger, eSports teams and their sponsors have expectations on public behavior, Twitter followings carry so much more weight, etc etc.

In terms of player success, humility and having an open door policy with respect to getting games and talking online via social media are literally what pays now, not the shit talk and regional 5v5 pride fights of days gone by.

With that shift, it seems the true villains of our community are really nothing more than villains of our message boards, trolls who spend more time crying about the Ice Clone being broken or yelling 'washed up' anytime a top player loses to another top player, lol. Long story short, it's going to take a player who's willing to push the boundaries of acceptable public image in this age of eSports MKX to really show that a villain can also be successful at the highest level, both in game and in terms of getting signed and staying signed.

It's an interesting time in our community right now, but it's not just us. The SFV community is very much going through the same thing. Some of the most well known heels in that community have turned face as their sponsorships have greater and greater demand on a 'family friendly' public image. These dudes are literally becoming role models for aspiring gamers, and are acting accordingly. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing either. But over time, I think it will balance out once value is again found in those loose cannons and colorful personalities.

TL;DR - It's my theory that the lack of the Heel vs Face dynamic is not indicative of the scene dying. But rather the requirements for professionalism by those who have financial/advertisement interest in players has rendered that dynamic somewhat obsolete for right now.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
This thread is weird, but I'll bite.

I don't even see how Tweedy can be considered a villain. He's obviously just trying to go into matches against Fox with some confidence and build up some hype in the process. But anyone who saw him post after the KC set could tell that he took it hard. I'm sure he will come back strong and bring back some friendly shit talk, but neither of those things do a villain make.

As far as Fox goes, I subscribe to the old school mentality in that I like seeing someone dominate so convincingly. I don't care how long it takes for someone to dethrone him, when it happens it's gonna be fucking hype. Until that happens, I will keep enjoying watching our community have a supreme champion while everyeone else works to git gud.

We got a taste of it about a month ago..I was at SCR, and the energy in the room when Scar eliminated him was incredible. The long and short of it is, players are going to need to step up and beat him. And then someone will need to do it consistently. The kid's too damn nice to even be considered a villain despite clearly being our communities reigning overlord. The whole situation Is like when JOP was destroying everyone back in the day in Tekken, and when Slips finally beat him it was the craziest shit ever.

Hell, as I type this, I don't even think I can consider anyone a true villain in this community. @Pig Of The Hut touched on it a bit earlier in the thread that those at the top just don't have that villain gene. Not that it's bad, but everyone is just super nice and humble. Which is fine, but it surely doesn't bring the hype like we had when VSM vs PL vs MidWest vs EastCoast was going on. It's kinda boring and speaks to an odd generational paradigm shift happening in our community; Top players are getting younger, eSports teams and their sponsors have expectations on public behavior, Twitter followings carry so much more weight, etc etc.

In terms of player success, humility and having an open door policy with respect to getting games and talking online via social media are literally what pays now, not the shit talk and regional 5v5 pride fights of days gone by.

With that shift, it seems the true villains of our community are really nothing more than villains of our message boards, trolls who spend more time crying about the Ice Clone being broken or yelling 'washed up' anytime a top player loses to another top player, lol. Long story short, it's going to take a player who's willing to push the boundaries of acceptable public image in this age of eSports MKX to really show that a villain can also be successful at the highest level, both in game and in terms of getting signed and staying signed.

It's an interesting time in our community right now, but it's not just us. The SFV community is very much going through the same thing. Some of the most well known heels in that community have turned face as their sponsorships have greater and greater demand on a 'family friendly' public image. These dudes are literally becoming role models for aspiring gamers, and are acting accordingly. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing either. But over time, I think it will balance out once value is again found in those loose cannons and colorful personalities.

TL;DR - It's my theory that the lack of the Heel vs Face dynamic is not indicative of the scene dying. But rather the requirements for professionalism by those who have financial/advertisement interest in players has rendered that dynamic somewhat obsolete for right now.
I agree, but I don't think that hype dies with villans. Of course villans help bringing hype (and dispair too), but the issue with MKX now is different, and that's Sonic's domination. In MK9 we had Reo, DJT, PL and maybe others all at the top, while the rest of the players were not too far behind and capable of delivering some upsets. Now besides our dear furry kid we only have hope that someone like Scar or F0xy could start beating him with at least some consistency. But again, let's say that happens, we have 2, 3 people to watch with an incredibly low chance of upsets as Sonic's skill level is that high.

TL;DR - it's all Sonic's fault. Goddamn furries.

@Pig Of The Hut

Last edited:

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
I agree, but I don't think that hype dies with villans. Of course villans help bringing hype (and dispair too), but the issue with MKX now is different, and that's Sonic's domination. In MK9 we had Reo, DJT, PL and maybe others all at the top, while the rest of the players were not too far behind and capable of delivering some upsets. Now besides our dear furry kid we only have hope that someone like Scar or F0xy could start beating him with at least some consistency. But again, let's say that happens, we have 2, 3 people to watch with an incredibly low chance of upsets as Sonic's skill level is that high.

@Pig Of The Hut
I think Foxy is on the same level as sonic fox to be honest he may even be a smarter player where as sonic is more a natural and feels the game more. I don't think sonic skills are that advanced that no one else can go near him. Don't get me wrong he has some of the best reactions (if not the best) and reads. If you watch him play tho and this is my conclusion - he overwhelms his opponents and gets in their heads - he plays super in your face, super offensive as if he needs to beat you quickly cuz he has a train to catch giving his opponents no time to breath.

The hypest match this year was Tekken master vs sonic in my opinion because he just completely surprised everyone's expectations and was the hero we all deserve. Sonic is the true villain.

But i completely disagree with PIG - you don't have to be a douche and a big mouth to be a villain and make it hype. I also think its distasteful and rude to call people you know and have met and played with boring and their personalities lacking. This isn't a soap opera these are real normal people. If your not careful you will become the new backseat villain just like Brady.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance

TL;DR - it's all Sonic's fault. Goddamn furries.

@Pig Of The Hut
Oh I completely agree. The hype is still 100% there, that's undeniable. However, its that shift in image and how top players are carrying themselves that lead the drama queens in this community to believe that the hype is dead - we don't have players smashing controllers during casuals and calling it new tech, 16bit screaming at forever king about the Batman matchup, or FChamp telling NRS folks that Capcom players are gonna push our shit in in our own back to block game. I mean, that shit is super fun and hella entertaining, but it's just not where the FGC is at right now IMO. To me its a breathe of fresh air, I think now more than ever, our little bunch of misfits needs an inclusive community that's more or less pleasant to be around(in person, at events. LBSH select arenas of the forum communities can be pretty toxic nowadays)

People are growing up, and the young players are recognizing earlier and earlier on the importance of having a decent public image if they even want a chance at getting signed. eSports man....what a time to be alive.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The best known villain right now, IMO, is Low Tier God. Its simply because its impossible to beat him and have him give you any props. He'll always have some sort of excuse and will disparage any opponent who he doesn't beat. Plus, he has a very large following. He's irrelevant on the tourney scene, but not in FGC culture.
Well, I was talking NRS villain.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
REO was a Hero, turned villain, and turned Hero again, i Think M2dave is more of a Anti-Hero rather than just villain.
Why do you make me think of Riddick?

I won't just give you a match, I'll give you THE match. the match that made him the villan he is today:

if you are interested in more: he also played another interesting grudge match, witch isn't that famous so I'd have to look up; played a SFV rematch with viscant and has a youtube channel with even some MK ranked on.
Sure, I'm interested in this, too. This helps me know his character.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Potential villains now:
Cowboy
Tweedy
Dragon ....?
That's about it
@STORMS
Sonic is a villain purely by virtue of the amount of success he's had.

Also, the hug fatality that won't be denied could only be construed by a truly epic supervillain.
:p

Last edited:

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Potential villains now:
Cowboy
Tweedy
Dragon ....?
That's about it
cowboy is not really a villain. just the most massive downplayer in the history of nrs games.

I don't know if you remember but he also used to say sinestro suckssss, right until the end of the games life

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
cowboy is not really a villain. just the most massive downplayer in the history of nrs games.

I don't know if you remember but he also used to say sinestro suckssss, right until the end of the games life
as far as I know, he only said that Sinestro sucked until he found that game breaking tech at the end of the game.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I think whats missing more is the region rivalry

I remember the days of VSM vs West Coast vs Texas vs Europe vs Midwest vs Canada

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
oh come on! Shang was as low tier as you could get in top 8s.
At the time yea, but I honestly believe its because us a community had not leveled up enough. Looking back he was an extremely strong character but maybe not that easy to use

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Sonic is to NRS Games as John Cena is the the Wrestling and Tom Brady is the the NFL.

If youre not a fan of them, get used to celebrating second place or rooting against them. And having to fall back on "Yeah we lost... But it was close tho". They win and win and it kills the vibe for a lot of spectators.

Theres people that dont watch because they expect the end result.

trufenix

bye felicia
Now MK9 was hype but that was not what I meant at all.

Last Evo MK9 was played had more than 100 players and it was a side tournament, while the hype was on new Inj1.
What I mean is most of the people who claim that the "community is dead" are people who refuse to accept the "community" is also people who like injustice, and mkx. No community is dead that still puts up 200+ players at a major no matter where its held.

Reactions: GAV

Safe Armor

Tier Whore. BS, GM, Mystic etc.
What I mean is most of the people who claim that the "community is dead" are people who refuse to accept the "community" is also people who like injustice, and mkx. No community is dead that still puts up 200+ players at a major no matter where its held.
I know i said that but then i corrected myself and said that what I actually meant was that there was not a lot of hype before Tweedy!

I think villain may be a bit much of a word, especially looking back at ESL finals promo videos. No one in this community knows how to be a hate-able, but respected, bad guy.

A heel, however, is a much better word and I think more people can fit that word, than villain.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I think villain may be a bit much of a word, especially looking back at ESL finals promo videos. No one in this community knows how to be a hate-able, but respected, bad guy.

A heel, however, is a much better word and I think more people can fit that word, than villain.
Well, now you're talking different perspectives to words and meanings. Calling them heroes or villains is to the point... how we all individually perceive that may and likely will be different. However, from watching the video in the first post... you have the inception followed by the discussion.

Also, you're the one who's been doing commentary w/ @Mr Aquaman for Stream.me, right?

Well, now you're talking different perspectives to words and meanings. Calling them heroes or villains is to the point... how we all individually perceive that may and likely will be different. However, from watching the video in the first post... you have the inception followed by the discussion.

Also, you're the one who's been doing commentary w/ @Mr Aquaman for Stream.me, right?
Indeed, yes

Idk, I feel like a villain has a purpose for being evil, whether it's plotting, deception, etc. Something regarding a heel is just doing whatever he needs to, to win, which people can more relate to, I'd imagine.

If there were more drama type situations where deception, or anything to that affect, is taking place then I could see "villain". We just don't have that type of atmosphere.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Idk, I feel like a villain has a purpose for being evil, whether it's plotting, deception, etc. Something regarding a heel is just doing whatever he needs to, to win, which people can more relate to, I'd imagine.

If there were more drama type situations where deception, or anything to that affect, is taking place then I could see "villain". We just don't have that type of atmosphere.
You feel that way because your comparing the FGC to movies and hollywood.

Look at the word fuzzy. You can fuzzy block (guard) your opponents mix ups. But the word "Fuzzy" doesn't mean the same thing in the English dictionary. Villain is perfect to describe what we are trying to say - it's simple and understandable even by new comers as it hints towards what we are trying to get across. No one actually thinks they are actually villains (that would be silly) because this isn't a comic book strip.

Also the word villain has been in the FGC for a while now it's not just something unique to players in mk or NRS games for that matter. It definitely isn't gonna change now.