What's new

Vicinity Blast hitbox

4x4lo8o

Noob
This move has a really inconsistent hitbox. It varies a lot depending on who you're fighting. I went through and was messing with it for my own knowledge and figured I'd post it just in case it helps anyone else out. A couple pages back there was a sorta similar thread, but it was old and not quite the same or particularly comprehensive. I'll stuff the first post of this one with as much info about it as I can compile so it's easy for anyone in the future to find

A naked vb will always connect on these characters:
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Jade
Mileena
Nightwolf
Noob
Sonya
Jax
Stryker
Shang Tsung
Kabal
Raiden
Sheeva
Cyber Sub Zero
Kenshi
Freddy

Against these characters it will whiff if they are blocking:
Smoke
Scorpion
Ermac
Reptile
Kitana(sometimes)
Cyrax
Smoke
Sektor
Kano(sometimes)
Baraka
Quan Chi
Scarlet
Rain(sometimes)

Against these character it will whiff if they're standing neutral:
Sub Zero
Reptile
Sektor(usually)

Sub Zero is odd because it'll hit him if he's blocking but not if isn't - opposite of most characters that it whiffs on. Some characters it's inconsistent with because they move slightly as they're standing there and it just depends on timing. I think there was also someone who's stance specific but I can't remember who

Vicinity blast will always connect when cancelled into from f23 on block(except on Reptile) and b2f1 on hit. These are the only times you should use vb outside juggle on Reptile and Sektor because it'll almost always whiff otherwise.

As a general rule vb when linked onto various block strings will whiff on the same characters that naked vb whiffs on, but it's universal. I think b2f1~vb will whiff on every character that naked vb whiffs on, but b31~vb will connect on some of those characters. There's also strange stuff, like d1~vb on hit will connect on every character except Ermac. Standing 1~vb seems to be completely inconsistent as far as which characters it connects on, both when blocking and neutral.
I'll test it more over the next couple days and see if I can come up with a complete list of which characters it does and doesn't connect with when linked to various strings.

A lot of players like to throw vb onto the end of strings because it leaves you neutral on block and catches players who try to cross you up after block strings, so I figure it'll be fairly useful to know

4x4lo8o

Noob
I finished testing out all the different strings and stuff, here's the stuff that I think is relevant

1~vb on block whiffs on all the same characters that a blocked naked vb whiffs on(see list above).

On hit 1~vb whiffs against
Shang Tsung
Kabal
Baraka
Kenshi
Sub Zero
Reptile
Sektor
Kitana
Cyrax
Kano

d1~vb on block will always connect, except against Reptile.
d1~vb on hit whiffs against:
Sonya
Scarlet
Kitana

F23~vb on block will always connect, except against Reptile. On hit it whiffs on everyone(except in the corner where it connects on everyone), which shouldn't be a problem because it's hit confirmable and you're probably better off cancelling into ex~shocker or superman on hit.

B2f1~vb will connect against everyone on hit. On block it whiffs on the same characters that naked vb whiffs on plus Kabal(see list in first post), except for Rain

In general vb at the end of other block strings will whiff on the same characters that a naked vb will whiff on. The exceptions to this are Kano and Rain. On Kano anything cancelled into vb except for 22 and b2f1 will connect and for Rain any vb except after 33 and 334 will connect. 121~vb will connect on Kano, Rain, Kitana and all the other characters you'd expect it ot. 22~vb also whiffs on Kabal, even though it shouldn't.
Other than that 33~vb, 334~vb, b31~vb, b312~vb, 1~vb, 121~vb, and 22~vb all connect on the characters vb connects with and whiff on the characters vb whiffs on.

All the testing I did was on default costumes. I don't own the complete edition so I don't have access to a lot of the retro costumes, plus I haven't even unlocked the alt costumes for half the cast, so details for other costumes aren't coming anytime soon unless someone else wants to do it. I would hope that costumes don't matter, but considering how buggy and inconsistent the hitbox on this move is they probably do.

I suppose the most practical application of this is to learn the two lists in the first post and not use Vicinity Blast in your pressure game outside of f23~vb and d1~vb. Vb is really only moderately useful so going by "it only works on these characters" even if that list isn't 100% accurate in all situations is probably better than memorizing all the peculiarities of this move. Use vb sparingly, in most situations it's barely more than a gimmick anyway. Also, DON'T EVER USE VB AGAINST REPTILE. Outside of a juggle, it won't connect and you will probably get punished.

I'll end with a couple of fun and utterly useless vb facts - if the other character isn't facing you vb will connect on any character regardless of if they're blocking of not(except on Reptile) and 121~vb on hit is stance specific(this string is hit confirmable, so you should be doing 121~shocker on hit anyway)

4x4lo8o

Noob
334~vb whiffs on Kenshi in the corner. I don't know why it would connect midscreen and not in the corner, especially on a character with a hitbox like Kenshi. I'm not aware of anyother situations where there this happens, but I wasn't looking for them. There's probably a bunch. I'll probably test everything again in the corner, plus do some testing with costumes, after SCR.

AYSAMO

Noob
Raiden's vb doesn't hit reptile? The other night at casuals you kept hitting me out of my dash with it lol.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Raiden's vb doesn't hit reptile? The other night at casuals you kept hitting me out of my dash with it lol.
Haha, that's because you were jumping. I don't think I was straight up hitting you out of dash. Maybe I should test that, though. Vb definitely whiffs on Reptile anytime you try to use it for pressure. It works once they're in the air

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
That's not really something Raiden can do consistently. The stars have to align. I've vb'd Kabal out of his dash before too.

AYSAMO

Noob
That's not really something Raiden can do consistently. The stars have to align. I've vb'd Kabal out of his dash before too.
Yea it was only happening when I was dashing in from full screen. The start-up on vb is just too slow to be able to purposely react to dash with it.