What's new

Vibu Wins MortalKombATX Tournament #14

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
11/7/2015
Mage’s Sanctum
Austin, Tx

Mortal KombATX and Square One were proud to present, as always, Mortal KombATX Tournament 14. This is our series of bi-weekly tournaments and I decided to write up our first Aftermath post!!

This week there was a lot on the line. Besides the usual winnings, the top 3 Kombatants would have their entry fee paid by Square One for next week’s “The Realm Eternal” tourney sponsored by Ultra Arcade. There were noticeable absences from Reign our resident Mileena main, DaZengie our resident Johnny main and, ATP who was getting bodied in Arkansas.

Vibu “the Great”
Fresh off winning his last four tournament entries (our last two "weeklys", Ultra Arcade’s monthly, and a local in Beaumont, Tx) Vibu had loads of momentum behind him. Would he end up being the second Austin player to threepeat, or would his win streak prove to be a chip too large for his shoulders to bear?

Henzzar Returns
Austin’s winningest player returned after missing our last two “weeklys”, essentially an entire month. He claimed to have returned with new tech and improved gameplay on top of what was already crushing gameplay from our rushdown Sub-Zero loyalist. The title of Grand Champion was his to reclaim, and his sights were set squarely on Vibu.

Road to Grand Finals
There was an early upset when Henzzar showed a rare moment of MU inexperience against Dust’s Lasher Takeda. Henzzar started with his secondary, Liu Kang, and by the time the set was tied 1-1 and he switched to Sub, his hands were too cold. Dust displayed excellent space control by keeping Henzzar just in reach of his whips and never committing to anything too risky up close.

Vibu and TheDarkSilence (two of Austin’s finest) met in Winner’s Semis. TheDarkSilence started immediately by playing the keep away game. Vibu was content with this and merely walked/ran forward under Pryo Tanya’s air fireballs; letting TheDarkSilence corner himself. That excellent strategy and b1 punishes made it a slow, but easy set for Vibu.

In Loser’s Quarters TheDarkSilence met Henzzar for a run back months in the waiting when TheDarkSilence eliminated Henzzar in one of his rare losses. The set started with TheDarkSilence dominating Henzzar. Just as Henzzar was gaining momentum a stray controller activated (*cough*oops...), pausing the match. The players agreed to play through it by starting from full screen. A mistake on Henzzar’s part, he could never get back in. Henzzar did end up making the set go wire to wire to the last round, but he would end up being eliminated once again by TheDarkSilence.

TheDarkSilence and Gazugafan fought the hypest set of the day in Loser’s Finals. They traded round per round the entire set. In the very last round Gazugafan and TheDarkSilence scrambled and threw all fundamentals out of the window. Gazugafan came back from a 35% life deficit off of weird trades and conversions. With both players one hit away from death, TheDarkSilence found himself knocked down in the corner where both players blocked for that awkward amount of time we are all familiar with. Gazugafan threw out the first poke, just as TheDarkSilence unblocked, and sent himself to Grand Finals.

Grand Finals
This was a runback from Winner’s Finals. And though it was close-ish, we all knew Vibu would switch from Cassie to Jacqui when his back was against the wall. Congrats to Vibu’s 5th tournament win in a row and making sure Austin is still free to the machine gun.

1. Vibu (Hollywood Cassie, Full Auto Jacqui)
2. Gazugafan (HQT Predator, Royal Storm Kitana)
3. TheDarkSilence (Pyro Tanya)

Next Time…
Will Vibu be the first and only Austin player to FOURPEAT? Will Henzzar redeem himself? Will strong players like DaZengie, ATP and LoveIn60FPS return to challenge our Grand Champion? Find out at our next biweekly!

Bracket
http://afgc.challonge.com/mkatx14
All Finals sets w/ my beautiful commentary (Follow me @RyuuJin882 on Twitter, no shame :p)
http://www.twitch.tv/mortalkombatatx/v/24624248

@DaZengie @gazuga @JerzeyReign @Lovein60FPS @ATP2014 @Dust

Attachments

Dust

Iron Dragon
I'll get you next time RyuuJin882 :mad:. You got me good in the corner with pressure I hadn't seen from you before, good stuff. If I had gotten passed you I had a good chance against TheDarkSilence. I was doing well in casuals against him. Gazugafan Probably still would had beat me just like he did when he sent me to losers. I need more xp against his predator so I know what character tools work best against him. I find myself experimenting in tournament against him. Would like another long set with you too.

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
I'll get you next time RyuuJin882 :mad:. You got me good in the corner with pressure I hadn't seen from you before, good stuff. If I had gotten passed you I had a good chance against TheDarkSilence. I was doing well in casuals against him. Gazugafan Probably still would had beat me just like he did when he sent me to losers. I need more xp against his predator so I know what character tools work best against him. I find myself experimenting in tournament against him. Would like another long set with you too.
Always a chance to do this on Salty Runback Wednesdays!

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
"No charge!" :DOGE