What's new

Tech - Venomous Venom Scaling During Bug Spray

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I noticed today that venom damage was scaling if it ticked during bug spray. I made a video about it and how to use this knowledge to your advantage in some combos by ending the spray before the Venom tick, if that tick will out damage the spray and the scaled tick combined. This can help you squeeze out an extra few % on certain restand combos.

UPDATE: It's not just bug spray. If venom ticks during an Ovi, it gets scaled as well. This actually explains some things we didn't know before, like why the first ticks of f341+3 and EX Ovi are less than the rest. They're being scaled because they occur during a move.

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
nice find, i was wondering why the spray was getting less than db4;) no more:p

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
nice find, i was wondering why the spray was getting less than db4;) no more:p
Ovi will still do more damage because it adds another stack of venom, and in long combos like the one in the video, the bonus damage has stacked up so high that an ovipositor would add 4% bonus damage + 1.5% base damage, making that combo end at at I think 46% off the top of my head? Maybe 47. All I know is the last tick would be 15%.

If you want max damage, you end in db4. That's about all there is to it.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Ovi will still do more damage because it adds another stack of venom, and in long combos like the one in the video, the bonus damage has stacked up so high that an ovipositor would add 4% bonus damage + 1.5% base damage, making that combo end at at I think 46% off the top of my head? Maybe 47. All I know is the last tick would be 15%.

If you want max damage, you end in db4. That's about all there is to it.
yeah i have a midscreen 41% with db4, but its a read punish, relies on db1EX to connect, wish F11 carried more damage than 112:(

Noob
What do you mean? D2's venom ticks don't scale at all on their own, while you can get a quick easy example of this in action with EX db4 and f341+3.
Ending a combo in D2 will scale the venom ticks in much the same way, because you're likely still considered in the 'move'.
The first tick in NJP->JiP starters will also scale, despite those moves being fully completed.

Late reply, I know.