What's new

Variation system decoded?

Edit since original post. The epic cage fuck you fuck you fuck you... video is the most I have seen of the character select process. It looks like the variations can be edited?

I came across the below video and think it may offer insight to how variations and moves will work in competitive play. It looks like there will be several variations and a selectable move.

Looking at Johnny Cage you can clearly see his name, stance (a-lister) and an icon. In this case you see an icon for sunglasses and during the game play cage does indeed have the move.

This sounds pretty good. It may add several layers to the balance. Selecting one move seems similar to selecting a v’ism or v trigger in the sf series. It did offer some customization without destroying balance.

Another good thing is that it is very clear what move he has so u don’t forget. With that said you may have to memorize a few more things and I hope the scrubs are ok with this since they didn’t want to learn a few more inputs for specials.

As nrs has been in the dark we can only speculate such as this thread is doing.

Johnny Cage official variations?
Hollywood
A-Lister
Uncaged

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Those are just icons, and i remember seeing some where that there will be more of these for every character.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The more time that passes, the more obvious it is to me that competitive will have a full kustom equip system.
I can't see how people could deny it at this point tbh.

I'll link this clip again just for the luls:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyGlamorousWatermelonTwitchRPG

16bit:
"If you're entering an early online tournament, like a day one tournament, equip this and do this"

Harmless meaningless statement?
To me it sounds like he knows already. I don't think they have any plans of a variation system (which is great imo).

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The more time that passes, the more obvious it is to me that competitive will have a full kustom equip system.

16bit:
"If you're entering an early online tournament, like a day one tournament, equip this and do this"

To me it sounds like he knows already. I don't think they have any plans of a variation system (which is great imo).
There have been interviews where Boon pretty explicitly says there will be set variations for competitive play, but it's still not 100% crystal clear. It would be very nice to have a clean, black-and-white official ruling. If custom moves are going to be pointless, just like in Injustice 2, it would be great to know that sooner rather than later.

JDM

Noob

16bit:

Online tourneys don't necessarily have to have the same standards as normal tourneys though. I'm really leaning towards kustom being the tourney standard though since they haven't shown real variations at all yet though.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
There have been interviews where Boon pretty explicitly says there will be set variations for competitive play, but it's still not 100% crystal clear. It would be very nice to have a clean, black-and-white official ruling. If custom moves are going to be pointless, just like in Injustice 2, it would be great to know that sooner rather than later.
Yes, you're right. I remember those interviews.
They were from the reveal event. It's what has caused ALL this confusion.

The more time that passes, the more the they've leaned to an ambiguous answer though. They changed their wording to say that they are experimenting with what works best.

They are still balancing the game and don't want anything to be broken so it couldn't be a concrete answer.

Now that it's getting to be GO-time, I personally think they've made their decision already and imo it's the decision they've been hoping for all along when designing the variation moves in the first place.

They don't want to be MKX-2 variation-wise.
They want to be MK11.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The only thing with those, and the Paulo statements, is that they are old now. As the game has carried on more and more statements have reflected a lean towards kustom, with less, and now barely any mention of preset variations. I'm inclined to believe they are planning on kustom now unless they say otherwise.

Also, we have been waiting on the beta, but now we have learned there is a stress test for online that is literally next week. It would be hella weird for a live beta to launch while we still don't know what the competitive variations are. Unheard of actually. I think gathering reactions about kustom is part of the test.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
The only thing with those, and the Paulo statements, is that they are old now. As the game has carried on more and more statements have reflected a lean towards kustom, with less, and now barely any mention of preset variations. I'm inclined to believe they are planning on kustom now unless they say otherwise.

Also, we have been waiting on the beta, but now we have learned there is a stress test for online that is literally next week. It would be hella weird for a live beta to launch while we still don't know what the competitive variations are. Unheard of actually. I think gathering reactions about kustom is part of the test.
I Hope so, I'd wait an extra 2 mins or so a match so the pros can make the fighters there own. It would be way more hype but, at the same time they could be worried about constant counterpicking after every round. I assume you have to go to kustomise to switch the moves & save the variation. I can see them having set variations but having them not locked at all so it can kinda be played by ear on what the pros really want to do & demand..maybe a tourney setting that streamlines the whole thing.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Seconded.
Been waiting for them to address this since the launch reveal. I want to know how much if any of what we're seeing isn't going to be available competitively.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

16bit:

The second time I rewatched the kast I caught on that too, I thought it was pretty interesting that he would say this.

16bit:

full custom equip? hell no and it its the fastest way to kill a game. However, a three character variation system and the ability to pick one ability move seems fair. The icon is the move you chose and the variation is also clearly listed. everything a tournament player needs. now if you allow them to select 2 or three moves its going to be an issue

I just want NRS to address this soon.
Everyone is asking and I mean EVERYONE. They are usually good about addressing hot community topics so my only guess is that they truly do not know or there are planning a be reveal/info drop about it. Regardless they do not seem ready to discuss it. Thats why we speculate lol

Wetdoba

All too easy...
full custom equip? hell no and it its the fastest way to kill a game. However, a three character variation system and the ability to pick one ability move seems fair. The icon is the move you chose and the variation is also clearly listed. everything a tournament player needs. now if you allow them to select 2 or three moves its going to be an issue
If they have a tournament mode like for I2 then in tournament mode it could just let you pick your moves at character select and then during stage select screen they are displayed above the stages so your opponent can know what moves you selected and vice versa. It will be up to the players to lab and know the properties of all the moves and then adapt to the combinations and their opponents playstyle on the fly.

If they have a tournament mode like for I2 then in tournament mode it could just let you pick your moves at character select and then during stage select screen they are displayed above the stages so your opponent can know what moves you selected and vice versa. It will be up to the players to lab and know the properties of all the moves and then adapt to the combinations and their opponents playstyle on the fly.
dude. we will disagree here. selecting one move is fine in addition to several variations. but if you have variations and multiple moves selectable it will be the biggest shit storm and joke in fighting game history. ya lab all you want but how will you ever get mu exp? finding players that main every possible combination of selectable moves.